• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    OK... so I'm going hog hunting this weekend and it's supposed to be 90-some degrees (humid) during the day and just down to 72 at night. This is my 1st Texas hunting experience (and 1st warm-weather hunting experience). For all you experienced Texas hunters. What are some of the keys to staying comfortable, cool and camouflaged all at the same time?

Also, I'll be camping out in a tent at night. Any brilliant thoughts on keeping a tent cool at night?
    Hurley's Gold

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    As for the tent, don't stay in a tent. Bring a cot with some mosquito netting. If you get crafty, you can make a PVC frame to attach to your cot and drape the mosquito netting over that, if it rains, bring along a tarp that can be draped across the pvc frame.

Staying cool and comfortable in the day in 90+ degree weather is just tough, bring plenty of water and do what Texans do best, sweat. If you bring gatorade, bring the powdered blend that comes in single packets, the pre-made kind served in a bottle contains high fructose corn syrup that does not help in keeping you hydrated.
    Wear light clothes, there are some magellan mesh backs out there in some kind of camo print, those work best in my opinion unless you want to be shirtless.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Wait, your suppose to wear camo when hog hunting? lol

light clothes, if you are in a tent sleep in your undies, drink a lot of water, take some rags or bandannas so you can wet them and wrap them around your neck or place under a cap.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hmmm a pvc hot wether blind / cot....

now if you pokes tiny holes with a hot small needle you could pressurize the pvc with cold water and have a misty tent
    :)
    be sure you are using a polymer stock ;)

also, those freeze pack things under your arms wrapped in rags. throw them in a salted icechest to keep frozen.
    lots of blood flow throw the neck and pits. with blood vessels clos to the surface. these will cool your blood and that will circulate through your body.

just dont get to cold ;)

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Dusting sulfur...

Get some dusting sulfur and lightly dust your socks where they make contact with your boot

Take a bandanna and do the same around your neck
    put a little bit in your hair

This will help keep the ticks off of you.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Get a battery powered fan for sleeping. They work great & create enough airflow to help make the night more comfortable. Most sporting goods stores sell them, they usually have a built-in light too.

Also, as it gets warmer, the hogs will probably be covered in fleas & ticks.....just something to be aware of.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Drink alot of water before you go out there and bring some high protein and simple sugar snacks. I like to take lunch meat or some kind of lunchable and toss it in the cooler. Make sure you wear full size socks that cover your legs, this will cut down on critters. Gold Bond works well to cut down on sweat in the groin, crack, etc. and keeps you from chaffing.

The hogs will be covered in ticks and fleas, the one we shot a month ago was covered in them. Once you kill the animal, they usually will vacate.

If you are walking alot, try to reduce the amount of crap you are carrying. One pound may not seem much at the truck, but once you set out and are a mile down the road, it starts to add up.

Wearing light colors, and breathable clothes are good, but breathable means you are going to dehydrate faster. Wearing a wet bandana or hat on your head works well.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Camo isn't as important as staying cool, Hogs have poor eyesight but keen ears... just make sure you're not wearing bright colors and clothing that will make a rustling sound. Try staking out a spot near water of course, Hogs don't like the heat either... early morning just before sunrise seems to be the best time to wait for em', at least in my experience. Good luck.

Rodngun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    College Station
    Roll a sleeping bag out in the back of your truck.

As for the hogs- if your hunting in hot weather ,take a coffin ice chest with you and plenty of ice- dont let him lay to long before quartering him.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    When I was a young man, hog hunting in the summer, I always started buy buying them a cold beer. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHA! I know it's not PC but you gotta get a chuckle about it.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I know this will not be popular But just NOT go why kill a hog in the heat Go to the range instead.

My thought as well, Are you going to eat the meat? Or do you just want to kill something?
    Go shoot a match at a range. OK I know this will not be accepted by the hunting sector, but the heat of the summer is not the time to "take game"

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My advice...wait til' fall or winter. They aren't worth that much effort. Unless you need to "clean house" before deer season, I wouldn't bother. I like to shoot moving targets too but it's snake season, flea season, mosquito season and hot as hell out there.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Love this forum! I keep finding stuff I didn't know was there, so again, I'm coming in a little late.
    I have been hog hunting several times this year after it has gotten hot. I hunt on my cousin's ranch in west Texas around Aspermont. We hunt from elevated blinds about 100 to 125 yards from feeders with night lights. Usually early in the morning and at sunset till about 11:00 PM. I've definately come to the conclusion that hog hunting in winter is a lot more comfortable than when it's hot as hell.
    We always kill at least one rattler, so snake boots are a must. Lots of insect repellent is another must. I find that Cutter unscented is best. I take one of those little battery operated squirt fans loaded with ice cold water that I bought at Wal Mart. Another wise idea is to dose the blind down with wasp spray a few hours before climbing in. I spent four hours in a stand off with a yellow jacket nest off to the side of my sighting window. I was lucky I didn't get several stings and even luckier I didn't have to shoot my 30-06 out that window. I'm sure that would have stired them up a bit. :eek:

Top Bottom