• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimshaddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2023
    South Austin Texas
    I'm a fair hand at brisket smoking and have run as long as 22 hours at 200 on a brisket to see what happened.
    Not gonna do that again, too much work IMHO for what was a darn tender slab of muscle.
    My new favorite way is hot and fast, run at 325/350 for as little as 6 hours and bingo it's time to eat.
    Not including rest time of course..but still that's pretty fast and the meat is super tender and juicy with excellent bark.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Depends if yo want to be cooking or smoking. Want to cook? Go hot and fast. Use gas or electric instead of wood. Do it in the oven to isolate effects of wind. Turn that oven down to 225* and it’ll take just as long as it would outside on the smoker.

But smoking meat, be it beef, pork, chicken, lamb/goat, or fish is skill. Satisfaction from imparting just the right amount of smoke and the unique flavor of each wood mix is the reward.

At it’s core, barbecue is about meat cooked outside using fire. Beyond that it’s all technique.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Depends if yo want to be cooking or smoking. Want to cook? Go hot and fast. Use gas or electric instead of wood. Do it in the oven to isolate effects of wind. Turn that oven down to 225* and it’ll take just as long as it would outside on the smoker.

But smoking meat, be it beef, pork, chicken, lamb/goat, or fish is skill. Satisfaction from imparting just the right amount of smoke and the unique flavor of each wood mix is the reward.

At it’s core, barbecue is about meat cooked outside using fire. Beyond that it’s all technique.
    Yes.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Real BBQ is just real hardwood smoke and low and slow. This new craft type BBQ is all about injecting the meat and tons of rub to produce the flavor. To me it is overly seasoned grilled meats.

I was doing BBQ cookoffs when this hot and fast and injecting meat became the norm to produce what we old school pit masters referred to as the one bite taste and flavor needed to win the $$ at cook offs.

Don't get me wrong the craft BBQ'ed meats can be really tasty but definitely not real BBQ.
    smoker.JPG

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Real smoked brisket is exacrly that. Smoked.
    I don't care what you do, you don't get smoked in six hours. You get just plain cooked.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    As stated, if you want cooked, high and fast. If you want true smoke flavor, low and slow.

Unless I'm throwing fish on the smoker, which is very rarely, my smoke times vary between 8 and 12 hours, depending on the cut of meat and flavor profile I'm trying to get.

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I’ve never gone over 275, but between 225-275, I can’t notice a difference in anything but cook time.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    I thought this was going to be about steaks! LOL!!

The convo / "discussion" about hot n high heat and very little time on the grill versus taking your time and reverse-searing is one that I enjoy having....no wrong answers to that....for steaks....I'm not a smoker so I have nothing to add to the BBQ aspect of brisket - except for this - y'all that have the patience and time to do it right - God bless y'all!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...no wrong answers to that....for steaks...
    Yet sous vide plus a fast sear is somehow off-putting to many, many folks. I don't get it and never will.

Nor do I understand steaks cooked blue but that's going too far afield.

Back on topic - I do not possess the time, industriousness, or attentiveness to detail to properly smoke a brisket. I greatly admire those folks who have mastered the skills involved.

Top Bottom