• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowzette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Pflugerville, Tx
    Just got a Glock 19 and looking for a IWB tuckable holster. Considering the Crossbreed Super Tuck at $70 and MTAC at $80. For $85 the Crossbreed is made in horse hide. The MTAC looks to be finished much better although no one but me would know. The MTAC shell for a different pistol can be changed for $38.
    But I understand that horse hide is better in hot humid climates. I live just north of Houston. I don't anticipate carring on a daily basis.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Judging from observations of horses & cows and barbed wire fences and having doctored some of the unlucky horses, and seeing bulls go up to a fence and just push through without seeming damage except to the fence...Its Cowhide !

drjavelina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Central Texas
    Just got a Glock 19 and looking for a IWB tuckable holster. Considering the Crossbreed Super Tuck at $70 and MTAC at $80. For $85 the Crossbreed is made in horse hide. The MTAC looks to be finished much better although no one but me would know. The MTAC shell for a different pistol can be changed for $38.
    But I understand that horse hide is better in hot humid climates. I live just north of Houston. I don't anticipate carring on a daily basis.

I have 2 Crossbreed Supertucks. In Texas with the hunidity, I recommend horsehide. It doesn't sweat like cowhide.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I know this is an older post, but wanted to post some great information on the subject from real experts of the field: MILT SPARKS

What is the difference between cowhide and horsehide?

One of the more notable properties of horsehide is its natural ability to repel moisture. This is due to the dense cell structure of the hide thus limiting its porosity. This natural ability to repel moisture makes it very useful for certain applications, particularly for use inside the waistband.
    Unlike with cowhide, horsehides non-porous nature reduces its ability to fully absorb the casing solution during the forming process, making it much more difficult to get good crisp detail of the weapon when molding around the gun. Also for the same reason horsehide tends not to absorb the dye and finishing materials as evenly making it in my opinion, somewhat inferior in that respect to good cowhide.
    Horsehide is also somewhat rustic in appearance in comparison to cowhide. Cowhide is graded at the tannery in direct relation to the percentage of scar, range marks and other surface imperfections on the hide. Grade (A) being the best, is what we order from the tannery and a true Grade (A) will generally, but not always, be devoid of any surface imperfections. Horsehide on the other hand, basically only comes from the tannery one way, un-graded and usually with plenty of the above imperfections. On the bright side, much of the scaring, stretch and range marks common on much of the horsehide we get today, is present in unique patterns much like figured wood. We actually set aside some of the more distinct pieces to be used in conjunction with exotic trim where exotic trim is an option on some of our holsters. Since horsehide is unpredictable in its grading, you must accept the fact that any horsehide product you order from us may exhibit some of the above characteristics and is not considered by us to be a defective product. Any horsehide we use in our products is guaranteed to be structurally sound, regardless of any natural markings that may be present on the surface. I guess the bottom line is if you expect from us a clean holster, devoid as much as possible of any natural markings, order cowhide.
    On the durability issue there has been much BS circulating on the mythical wear characteristics of horsehide. I will not argue that a well made horsehide holster will give you many years and possibly a lifetime of good service, but with proper care a good cowhide holster will last just as long.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom