• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Hey 57K, you may have better results using a lighter version of the SST in the 7mm-08. The 139gr pills shoot well in my 280 but no where near as good in the 7mm-08 I own. A few other reloaders told me the 7mm-08 does much better with bullets under 130grs. I think it's the twist rate that doesn't jive with heavier bullets.
    Venture Surplus ad

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    Thanks, TexMex, but I think 139 grs. is as light as they go with the 7mm SSTs. There are other options and I have considered 120 gr. Ballistic Tips as well as the SPEER 130 gr. BTSP. Kinda want to stick to 1 bullet for everything, although I guess I could do the ear shot thing. My rifle will have the typical 1 in 9.5" twist.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Savage/Stevens were the only ones to put an odd twist on there 7mm-08 1:11" I believe. They can handle up to 140 or depending on design some of the bullet designs are longer than others. Several of the bullet manufacturers will list a minimum twist needed especially the VLD type bullets. There are several factors in bullet stability besides twist velocity and elevation play a large factor.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    The new Savage Axis that has the Accu-Trigger does have a 1 in 10" twist, but not the Savage M11 that keeps the 1 in 9.5" twist. The 7mm-08 has always had an excellent reputation for being inherently accurate and I just haven't seen a case where the 1 in 9.5" twist has had any problem stabilizing the full spectrum of 7mm bullet weights from the lightest up to 175 grs. I'm sure the Savage Axis is a decent rifle, but compared to the M11 its receiver looks kinda bulbous.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I think the odd twist ones were the Stevens rifles academy was selling pretty cheap back a few years back. The 1:10" twist is more than suitable for most any bullets besides the 180 gr VLD and potentially the 168 gr VLD in certain environmental conditions.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    dee, the new Axis (1 in 10") with the Accu-Trigger is shown at Savage's website. Haven't looked into the Steven's because they lack the Accu-Trigger, other than that, they're pretty much M11's. I don't have a problem with either twist rate, but the Axis receiver is kinda hard on the eyes. Either twist rate will stabilize all of the various bullet weights and I have a good bit of data from NOSLER and Western (Ramshot) where they used a 1 in 9" twist.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've never really liked the look of any of the savage bolt guns. They look kinda like they were built in the plumbing section at the local hardware store. They typically shoot good though and a lot of people really like the accu trigger but it's not for me.

I use Nosler for a good reference on a lot of loads. I can't always achieve their advertised velocity but I figure that's due to the length of barrel they use and likely a minimum spec chamber as well.

Ramshot seems to be a pretty popular powder in the 7-08 with light bullets. I've never been able to get it locally though so I just stick to Varget, it's worked with everything from 120's to 162's.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Haven't been able to find more SSTs in .308 so I switched out to Accubonds. Did a whole Optimal Charge Weight run and found a couple of candidate loads in 165gr and 180. I'll probably go with the 180s even though my Tikka prefers 165s for precision shooting; since this isn't going to be a 600+ yard shot, I can put up with a a fraction of an inch deviation at 100 yards. It looks like the wife will be staying with SSTs in her 7-08. Just wondering, as I've talked to a few people who do a lot of hog hunting in Texas, and most of they say the same thing to stay away from ballistic tip bullets except for SSTs. Do they just work differently than other BT bullets? The common explanation is that other BTs mostly explode on impact on anything tougher than a deer, except for the Hornadys, and that those tend to cause all kinds of damage to the hog.

I do have a couple hundred 165gr Hornady Spire Points handloads that I've done up for my 300 WSM, which are deadly accurate and clock somewhere around 2900fps at the muzzle. Has anyone used these bullets on hogs before? Do they perform well?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've used plenty of Nosler Ballistic Tips and like them a lot. I have gotten a double on pigs with a 150 out of a 30-06 and my dad has gotten a triple with a 150 from a 7mm Rem Mag. The thing about hitting shoulders is you won't always get an exit and if running a higher velocity round over expansion can occur. The original Nosler ballistic tips were designed for long range hunting to provide expansion when velocity has dropped off. Other than the tip they are no different than most of your bother cup and core bullets. I use a 165 accubonds in my 30-06 now and might drop down to 150 if the gun will shoot them. I've primarily switched to the accubonds so if I feel the need I can anchor an animal with a shoulder shot and not worry about bullet over expansion.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    120 SST works excellent on hogs. Right up there with Barnes TSX/TTSX and better than Nosler ABs, in my opinion.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Consistent expansion and penetration, which is crucial on the less-than-ideal shots we often take on hogs. Don't get me wrong though, I would not hesitate to hunt with Nosler Accubonds.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As me tuned previously, velocity and caliber can make big differences with how bullets work.

ESP when a certain caliber bullet can be loaded I a variety of cartridges.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    As me tuned previously, velocity and caliber can make big differences with how bullets work.

ESP when a certain caliber bullet can be loaded I a variety of cartridges.

coming out of a 300 WSM, I figure just about anything that performs even modestly will work at 100 yards. The last hog I shot was factory loaded 180gr Nosler Partitions and it did drop the hog, but it went through the pig and she lasted long enough to run off about 80 or so feet before she died from tension pneumothorax (shot went through both lungs). Exit wound was a about 4 fingers wide.

Main concern is since the last pig was a sow, there really wasn't that much of a cape to deal with, so for this upcoming hunt I want to make sure that I'm loaded with good ammo that is going to be able to penetrate the cape and bone with a decent expectation that the pig will drop on the spot. Not too worried about shot placement, as long as the pig comes to the party, I'll do my part.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    coming out of a 300 WSM, I figure just about anything that performs even modestly will work at 100 yards. The last hog I shot was factory loaded 180gr Nosler Partitions and it did drop the hog, but it went through the pig and she lasted long enough to run off about 80 or so feet before she died from tension pneumothorax (shot went through both lungs). Exit wound was a about 4 fingers wide.

Main concern is since the last pig was a sow, there really wasn't that much of a cape to deal with, so for this upcoming hunt I want to make sure that I'm loaded with good ammo that is going to be able to penetrate the cape and bone with a decent expectation that the pig will drop on the spot. Not too worried about shot placement, as long as the pig comes to the party, I'll do my part.

If you want a good cape, get yourself a guide who hunts with dogs, and use a knife. Its exhilarating, and an experience you won't forget.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think he was trying to imply that throwing in Dr speak when it comes to hunting can have an unintended effect of those you are talking to.

Hunting speak is simply "went through both lungs and out the other side". All that really matters. Talking about tension pneumothorax comes across as being a little ......well, just comes across all wrong.

Have a good'un and good luck with the pigs.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom