• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Hey guys this is something that is very personal to me as this man was one of the finest gentlemen this country has ever had and the most amazing person I have ever called a friend. Sgt Matthew Abbate was a scout sniper with my unit and one of the 25 KIA's we had, I may have been a POG in an infantry battalion but that didn't deter this man from befriending me as a scared new to the fleet PFC when he at the time was an experienced Iraq Vet, the amount of love and respect I have for this man will go unchallenged and I will never forget the impression he left not only on myself but on every Marine and Corpsman who ever had the pleasure to serve with him. That being out of the way everything has finally been approved and on Friday August 10th his family will finally be receiving the Navy Cross that he so rightfully deserves, the Navy Cross is the second highest award for valor in the nation trumped only by the Medal Of Honor. I wish with all that I have I could be back there on Pendleton for the ceremony however he has touched so many in his short 26 years of life that everything has been approved to have the ceremony streamed live for all who wish to see thanks to an amazing organization (Battle For Veterans). I wanted to post this up for anyone interested in seeing one of America's finest receiving the recognition he deserves. Also if this comes off as advertising I apologize in advance to the mods but his step-father started a clothing company (Hella Sick Clothing – T-Shirts and Hoodies for the Warrior in Us All) and all profits go to benefit the young son Sgt Abbate left behind, if you were at the last San Antonio group TGT range day you would have seen me wearing one of their shirts.

Please feel free to share this with anyone you see fit.

428812_474224192590553_159842188_n.jpg

This is the man that will be honored:

179870_1838217315760_7868348_n.jpg

292424_474761122536860_1027581814_n.jpg

His headstone is a testament to who he was as a human being:

578318_346376792094653_2041299841_n.jpg

On the back are the Gunfighting Commandments as written by Matt while we were in Afghanistan, Hella Sick also has this on their products:

247470_10150287627414673_4450161_n.jpg

I will never forget this man and will tell stories about him to my children and grandchildren because I refuse to let his memory fade, I wear a bracelet with his name that I have not taken off since I got it to remind me everyday of what my friend and brother in arms sacrificed for our nation.

IMAG1157.jpg

Below is the write up published in the Marine Corps Times on June 14th 2012:

Fallen Marine to receive Navy Cross

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
    Posted : Thursday Jun 14, 2012 18:54:57 EDT

The ferocious fighting that the men of 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, encountered during their 2010-11 deployment to Afghanistan with Regimental Combat Team 2 — and the valor with which they fought — has been hailed yet again with an award for “extraordinary heroism” in combat.Sgt. Matthew T. Abbate is the latest leatherneck with the Camp Pendleton, Calif.-based “Darkhorse” battalion to be honored with the coveted Navy Cross. He was cited for his “bold and decisive leadership” while leading his scout-sniper section through a hellish ambush in Sangin district on Oct. 14, 2010.Abbate was killed in combat just six weeks after that battle, on Dec. 2, 2010. He was 26. His survivors include his young son, Carson, and family in the Fresno, Calif., area.Abbate was later nominated for a posthumous award of the Navy Cross, and Navy Secretary Ray Mabus approved the medal this month, according to spokeswoman Pamela Kunze, who provided a copy of the approved award citation.Abbate and his scout-snipers were patrolling Sangin’s northern green zone when Taliban fighters and insurgents attacked the Marines. The squad didn’t know it but they were in the midst of a minefield. Two Marines and the Navy corpsman hit improvised explosive devices “in rapid succession,” according to the citation. Abbate quickly reacted.“With the squad leader incapacitated, and the rest of the patrol either wounded or disoriented, Sergeant Abbate took command,” the citation states. “With total disregard for his own life, he sprinted forward through the minefield to draw enemy fire and rallied the dazed survivors. While fearlessly firing at the enemy from his exposed position, he directed fires of his Marines until they effectively suppressed the enemy, allowing life-saving aid to be rendered to the casualties.”As the medical evacuation helicopter inbound, Abbate swept the landing zone for explosives, but the patrol again had to duck enemy fire. Still, the sergeant persevered.“Realizing that the casualties would die unless rapidly evacuated, Sergeant Abbate once again bravely exposed himself to enemy fire, rallied his Marines and led a counter attack that cleared the enemy from the landing zone, enabling the helicopters to evacuate the wounded,” according to the citation.Abbate’s infantry battalion carved its own storied place in Marine Corps history when it battled insurgents in the 2004 Battle of Fallujah in Iraq, one of 3/5’s three combat tours in Iraq. Darkhorse saw combat just as intense and deadly in Afghanistan, losing 25 men in battle, including nine over a four-day period in October 2010.Mabus is expected to present the Navy Cross — which ranks second only to the Medal of Honor for Marines and sailors — to Abbate’s family at an award ceremony later this year.

For more information you can head over to The Boys Of 3/5's facebook page (The Boys of 3/5 | Facebook)

I will never forget any of these men

DarkhorseFallen.jpg

I have since gotten a memorial tattoo to honor their memory

556256_4085804631610_873491323_n.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Stories like this always amaze me. So many times I hear how poorly the youth today are brought up. We do hear so much in the news, but never hear how many of todays youth "Give All". I'm sure it is an honor for you to have stood in the presence of a Young Man of such stature.

I am truly sorry you have lost a good friend and mentor.

Thank you and Sgt. Abbate for the service you have provided to our contry!

SchH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    New Braunfels
    The Soldiers Prayer
    "And When He Gets To Heaven,
    To Saint Peter He Will Tell;
    One More Marine Reporting Sir,
    I've Served My Time In Hell"

RIP Marine, Semper Fi

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    It was really hard when we got the news, I had just come off an all night guard post and had to deal with the news while trying desperately to get some sleep before I had to go back on post. This deployment was the main contributing factor in my decision to not re-up but it helps to tell the stories and talk about the good times. The fact that he is being awarded the Navy Cross brought tears to my eyes because all your life you hear about these amazing American heroes and sometimes you think the stories are probably embellished a bit but having known Matthew personally I can attest that he deserves this more than anyone I met during my time in. He was put in for it before we lost him, was killed by small arms fire about a month and a half after that particular engagement, he was a living legend in the ranks and an all around stand up guy who would have your back even if you were in the wrong because "you were his boy". Nobody personified that Esprit de Corps more than he did, truly a Marine's Marine, a brother to most, and friend to all.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    It was really hard when we got the news, I had just come off an all night guard post and had to deal with the news while trying desperately to get some sleep before I had to go back on post. This deployment was the main contributing factor in my decision to not re-up but it helps to tell the stories and talk about the good times. The fact that he is being awarded the Navy Cross brought tears to my eyes because all your life you hear about these amazing American heroes and sometimes you think the stories are probably embellished a bit but having known Matthew personally I can attest that he deserves this more than anyone I met during my time in. He was put in for it before we lost him, was killed by small arms fire about a month and a half after that particular engagement, he was a living legend in the ranks and an all around stand up guy who would have your back even if you were in the wrong because "you were his boy". Nobody personified that Esprit de Corps more than he did, truly a Marine's Marine, a brother to most, and friend to all.

I also hope you find peace with all this some day. You have to dwell on the good times and all the little screwball things that happened. His family will also need someone to tell 'em about Him as they grow older. It's a real heartbreak, chokes me up even reading about it.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    I literally have tears in my eyes after reading this and the amount of respect you have for him. I've read several of these personalized RIP messages before, and this one touched me the most.

RIP Sgt. Abbate! Prayers for your family and friends.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your kind words, I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who has worn the uniform of our countries armed forces whether in peacetime or otherwise. I swore my oath to defend our constitution when I was 19 because figured it was my country as well and I wanted to do something to give back. Everyone has their own reasons for joining and most such as myself will do one enlistment and roll out but it takes a special person to dedicate as much as Matt did, to go above and beyond the call of duty. I just want his story to reach as many as possible and share this event with everyone.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Sorry for the loss of a troop im old army but we are all brothers in the fight for freedom!!!!!
    To lose a good troop and son of this US sucks, the loss is even greater when we have to wake up to find out that people are giving our country away.
    But im sure he knew that going in that is what made him a troop.
    May god have a place in heaven for him. RIP trooper

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    It's extremely hard for me to react to this post and you'll have to forgive me. I said earlier God bless his family and RIP. I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I cry with you. I don't know what to say. Semper fi!

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    It's extremely hard for me to react to this post and you'll have to forgive me. I said earlier God bless his family and RIP. I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I cry with you. I don't know what to say. Semper fi!

No reaction necessary, it helps with the healing process for me to talk about these things and I just want people to see him through my eyes.

Top Bottom