• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Ok, I was asked to start a seperate thread on this, so here it is. Please understand, I am a complete novice when it comes to making black powder!! I have made one successful batch in my life and a couple more that didnt work out. All the info I have accumulated has come from research on the net. I claim no credit for any of it. I am not a prepper, but black powder can be used in most any cartridge. It wont be nearly as powerful, and it wont normally cycle a semiauto. It is highly corrosive to fire arms, and the velocities are pitiful compared to modern smokless. All the negatives aside, if you are in a life or death situation and have access to the raw materials, its a good skill to know!

Also, If you choose to try and make your own black powder, you do so at your own risk!!!! You will be milling, crushing, and mixing an explosive! Treat it as such!! If you blow your hand off, burn your house down, or otherwise do any kind of damage to yourself, your stuff, or others, its on you. I dont recommend anyone try any info on this thread!!!

Now that that is out of the way, lets get started!!! For black powder, you will need at least 3 ingredients. Salt Peter, charcoal, and sulfur. The traditional ratio is 75% salt peter, 15% charcoal, and 10% sulfur all measured by WEIGHT!!!!. Here is where to find the ingredients:

Salt peter - Spectracide stump remover is actually granulated salt peter. Check the MSDS of a stump remover before purchasing. It should say salt peter, Potasium Nitrate, or KNO3.

cc12cf669bd96220ccd11e3b622d688a.jpg

Charcoal- you can either make your own or order it. Air float charcoal is popular. Softwood is best, and willow or balsa are touted as the best charcoal to use. You can also order it from several different sources. Ill talk about making it later on, once I make a batch.

Sulfur - This one is tricky. There are tons of places to order it online, but I get it from work. Garden centers also carry it as an acidifier for garden soil, but I have heard it isnt as pure. Again, verify with the MSDS, ingredients list, manufacturer, etc.

Another ingredient that makes things work better is Dextrin. If you dont have a press to press cakes (explained later), you will need some type of binder. Dextrin is easy to make. Just pick up some corn starch from the grocery store, pour some in and old pan and bake at 400, stirring every 15-20 mins till light brown (about the color of a manilla folder). Takes about 2 hours in my oven.

3c2d2b711690f21e0fe973e89a1e8763.jpg

2532d626c9b2b88e438497335f795206.jpg

The only other items you will need are a ball mill, a set of screens, a scale and plenty of time.

For the ball mill, I use a rock tumbler from harbor freight and some really hard lead balls that were given to me. You MUST use NON SPARKING media!!!!!! Place your ball mill FAR away from any structure or people when running!!! These things can and have caused explosions, fires, etc!

628e6daf5d30c2a1625f55b352b113f2.jpg

d971af0c64f6100f6e04e9e6d58cf04b.jpg

for screens, I used a window screen and a sieve I bought at the dollar store. the screens are to get a uniform grain size. The window screen is about 16 mesh, and the sieve is about 32 mesh. This should give about a FFFg size grain.

db38f7b0bc95a554d94b89b45f4e24ad.jpg

87aeab5fb47d2f6ed75a7815b40efbdc.jpg

This is not the optimum way of doing it, but I just used what I had on hand. The best way to do it would be to order a set of screens, but I just used what I had on hand.

For a scale, I purchased a kitchen scale from walmart:

f19165bae88857f6ef6b43b06522d2b9.jpg

Now that we have the raw material, lets begin the process:

I was given the correct mixtures of raw materials from a buddy. Next batch I will be making my own from scratch. Ill post updates as that progresses.

Understand, the ingredients were already milled. If they are solid, you will need to mill each ingredient seperatly before weighing and mixing!!!!

I placed the correct ratio of salt peter, charcoal and sulfur in the mill, dropped the balls in and let it run for about 4 hrs. here is the mix I came up with:

880c89d52e95051d33e7053746940594.jpg

Understand, at this point, once mixed, this IS and EXPLOSIVE! keep away from heat, sparks, etc.

after milling, I seperated out the mill powder from the balls and weighed it (9.8 oz). I then added 1% (0.1 oz) dextrin to the mix, tossed the balls back in, and ran it for another 2 hrs to mix and mill.

Once that was complete, I seperated the balls from the powder (spilled quite a bit on the process due to clumsiness). dumped the mill powder into a bowl and added a tiny amount of DISTILLED water and mixed. I continued adding tiny amounts of water and mixing till I had a nice ball of powder the consistency of playdough. I accidentally added too much, so I broke the ball up into pieces and spread them out to dry a little. They reminded me of shiny little meteorites!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"
    Hurley's Gold

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    7e0d920b030a1b3370bebdc7d5b782a7.jpg

As they dried to the right consistency (you'll know it when it gets there), I grated them through the window screen like you would grate cheese.

0ce1dbb1b67608fac338601830d11fdf.jpg

This fell into the small disposable aluminum (non sparking) pans and was set aside to dry for a day (or two or three depending on the moisture content and ambient humidity).

c28324e541bc1e6f995874813949c0a0.jpg

Once completely dry, it was broken up and passed through the window screen again. This fell into a big plastic bowl where I used the small sieve to scoop out a small amount of screened powder and screen out the fine dust. Whatever passed through the window screen and not through the sieve was kept as good and the rest will eventually be reprocessed. here is what was left. so.e big hunks that were too big and a bunch of small fines.

d7ab96ac8a1662bee3c372b1a70f70a1.jpg

Will al the spillage, sorthing, and rejecting, what started as 9.8 oz of mill dust ended up as 6.8 oz of usable powder. I placed it into an old powder jug and labeled it black powder! I chose a bullseye jug because they both put out about the same amount of powder fouling!!

d6e8e87ec5d766ee0c36ffd948efa07a.jpg

The one round I fired worked awesome, but I need to actually go to the range and do comparison between my stuff and factory before I say its truely a success.

Ive ordered a powder press die, Ill be working on producing my own charcoal, etc so I plan to update this thread regularly. Ill try to answer any questions I can, but Im new to this as well

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Awesome, looking forward to updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great write up! I really enjoyed it!

I made black powder before I could get a drivers license. The components and mixtures are easy to come by and the actual BP powder is easy to make. The trick is to get the right grain size.

Your technique is innovative and effective and you pay much more attention to safety than I did. Got some scars to show for that, too.

I made my BP into a cake using rubbing alcohol then I hand ground it into a fine powder using glass utensils. BP will go off on impact and it is an explosive. Did I mention that I have scars?

Have fun!

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I made black powder before I could get a drivers license. The components and mixtures are easy to come by and the actual BP powder is easy to make. The trick is to get the right grain size.

Your technique is innovative and effective and you pay much more attention to safety than I did. Got some scars to show for that, too.

I made my BP into a cake using rubbing alcohol then I hand ground it into a fine powder using glass utensils. BP will go off on impact and it is an explosive. Did I mention that I have scars?

Have fun!

Flash

Good point about the impact explosive.

Does this create any extra risk using the rock tumbler and less balls? I've watched videos where it's "cooked" and the tumbling step wasn't included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    From everything ive read, Black powder made from potassium nitrate can be set of with an impact, but the impact has to be enough to generate the heat required to light the powder (read a very substantial impact).

Some people either get potasium perchlorate (or even worse potasium chlorate) mixed up with potassium nitrate, or they knowingly add the chlorate (perchlorate) to the mix to increase the burn rate. Potassium chlorate mixed with sulfur is VERY shock sensitive and can go off in the ball mill!!! Potassium perchlorate and sulfur isnt quite as shock sensitive, but it can also go off in the ball mill.

There is a huge difference in the safety factor going from potassium nitrate to one of the potassium chlorates!!

With that said, I would always err on the side of caution and place the mill away from any structures or people! Even if it did light off, the mill powder burns very slow compared to granulated powder. in the harbor freight ball mill, you would likely get a loud pop as the lid is just held in by friction and then a pretty good fireball and a lot of smoke, but I dont think the pressure could build nearly enough to cause an explosion.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I too have made my own batches of black powder.
    I found that Alderwood charcoal works the best. It's difficult to find, but was able to find some Alderwood sticks at Hobby Lobby in their wood crafts section.
    In all honesty, my powder is not that strong though, hence I only use it in my coach guns. I shoot a load resembling a 4 1/2 DRAM EQ of homemade FFF grading for a 1 OZ load of #8 shot and it works just ok. Not the best propellant, but will work at close range and SHTF scenarios.

I will try your dextrin mix, as I wet cook mine over the stove with distilled water.
    I mix in the salt peter with denatured alcohol as the last process. This may be a reason for the weakness. I will try your methods. Good post.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    I too have made my own batches of black powder.
    I found that Alderwood charcoal works the best. It's difficult to find, but was able to find some Alderwood sticks at Hobby Lobby in their wood crafts section.
    In all honesty, my powder is not that strong though, hence I only use it in my coach guns. I shoot a load resembling a 4 1/2 DRAM EQ of homemade FFF grading for a 1 OZ load of #8 shot and it works just ok. Not the best propellant, but will work at close range and SHTF scenarios.

I will try your dextrin mix, as I wet cook mine over the stove with distilled water.
    I mix in the salt peter with denatured alcohol as the last process. This may be a reason for the weakness. I will try your methods. Good post.

Comercial powder is wet slightly, pressed into cakes with a hydraulic press and then let dry. I just ordered a press die and plan to build a small press for doing this. Once dry, you break up the cake and sift through your screens.

I read about the method you use, but it just sounded more complicated. It is supposed to produce a better product than the method I used so switching over may be a step back. the dextrin acts as a binder. Some of the bigger chunks I had left over are hard as all get out!

Ill try the alderwood if I can find some.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas

Have fun!

Flash

My foray into making black powder was also apparently before I acquired my DL as I recall riding my bicycle to the library in the next town over for books on the subject to improve my hitherto weak results. One book in particular I recall mentioned munitions manufacturing had taken a leap by wetting the powder with alcohol in order to better (and more safely) compress it.

My charcoal was ground up briquettes, the sulfur I scooped up from the mountains of it at the yard in Galveston and the salt peter I bought at the drug store "for my grandmothers foot soak". I very distinctly remember my friend Steve holding a pipe full of alcohol-wetted homemade powder while I hammered a steel drift to compress it. Our one concession to safety was using a brass hammer... for the morbidly curious it did improve the results and we still have all our body parts.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Picked up a coffe cup full of scrap sulfur on my way out of work today. could have easily loaded a 5 gallon bucket in about 5 mins. Time to mill it down to dust!

2e3fa116b721808bfa863192a10784d0.jpg

605b898ca9ff1417abc041fe5e8739d3.jpg

b21559141983185a34c56897eb90dfb9.jpg

I milled a batch of stump remover (potassium nitrate) a few days ago.

9c2737c3b754b74fb6ef376559e9d1dc.jpg

I also picked up some new one gallon paint cans to make some charcoal and my wife is picking up some cedar shavings. Cedar is supposed to be pretty good and Ill use it till I can find some willow or alder.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You get my vote for the "cool thread of the month."

As a kid, one of my favorite things to do was wander around the railroad tracks near our house. Found quite a few sulphur chunks that fell out of railroad cars.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    You get my vote for the "cool thread of the month."

As a kid, one of my favorite things to do was wander around the railroad tracks near our house. Found quite a few sulphur chunks that fell out of railroad cars.
    This is the place we get our sulfur from. That pile of sulfur is at least 50' tall or more! Its pretty neat to see from the river!

811cfc3cffd0f80d5043a7f42fb0391d.jpg

8e5fc5302af096054b351ccfb8938bea.jpg

Top Bottom