• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Ok matefrio, you need to drop your recipe on us for that one.

Also, regarding your previous post about the illegality of certain items, does is mean I need a permit for something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Water-Distill...UTF8&qid=1341258003&sr=8-1&keywords=distiller

Lots of information out there on how to convert this type of machine to distill your liquor.

I'll try to dig up the recipe. Seems I was using the "Good Eats" one at that time. Need to do that again as ginger ale great in the summer time.

As far as the legality. It's illegal to distill liquor, even by the freezing method mentioned above.

The items above. They are regulated by DPS. If you got one I'd call them and ask if you had any concerns owning it as I'm no expert.

Beer brewing and the DPS Update in the OP 2nd update, I got the permit - Page 2 - AR15.COM

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah, understand the implications. Any time you mess with something the government expects a tax from they get nasty.

George Washington commanded a bigger army to put down the Whiskey Rebellion (people rebelled because of new tax on whiskey in 1791, LOL) than he used to defeat the British in the American Revolution.

So there is a history of the government not liking the common man making his own spirits.

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    I've been reading up on the whole permits thing. You have to apply for a permit and let DPS into your private property to make sure you have a locked cabinet that something like a flask will be in when not in use. My heart figuratively stopped beating for several seconds at the sheer level of stupidity. :deadhorse:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I also have looked at the permit process, taxing issues and gave up. Unless you have a substantial investment to commit, and plan on making a living doing this it's just about impossible to do (even then it's a lot of hard work for little reward). The taxes are completely stupid. For example, if you order some molasses say for a batch of rum, it gets delivered to your warehouse, and the warehouse burns down (with the molasses) that night, before you even open the container, you owe the federal government for the taxes that raw material would have created in alcohol. You have a headache in paperwork in keeping product separated by what you have paid taxes on and what is still in production. Yeah, you can't pay when you sell, you have to keep paying as it is made. And we are not just talking sales tax, it's a heck of a lot more. On top of this you must have insurance for the taxes in case something happens in the process. Yeah, they want their money even if it never gets made. So there is another bookkeeping angle that must be strictly adhered to (think FFL type of audits on steroids) that is in addition to regular business practices. Plus there is a law against selling it to anybody but a licensed distributor. So don't think you will sell it out of your house. These micro distilleries we occasionally see (that have been trying to get going, but have a hard time), must produce the product (taxes collected) and sell it to a distributor (taxes collected), buy it back from said distributor (taxes collected), all before they can serve it for sale at their bar. Heck they even owe taxes on stuff they give away for free.

If you are near any of these cities, I suggest you take a tour of their facilities and talk to the people running them, it's eye opening.

San Leon (Houston/Galveston area): American Rum | American Agave Products | Railean Distillery in San Leon, TX

San Antonio: Rebecca Creek Distillery | Please Verify Your Age
    Austin: Forget about Tito's, they don't give tours due to insurance issues (yeah right).
    However you might contact SAVVY Vodka - Distilled and Bottled in Austin, Texas don't know if they do.
    I have heard that Dripping Springs gives tours also.

There are a few more out there also.

Problem is it is so easy to do, but since there is so much money involved in taxes our government wants to make it impossible for the common man to do it legally. And if he does and gets caught, they want to smack the shit out of him for it. It's not getting any better, big farm is just about to have it where farmers markets, road side fruit stands, bake sales, etc. are a thing of the past also.

(Questions about free drinks thing? As a example check out Texas Administrative Code: Title 34, Part 1, Chapter 3, Sub- Chapter O, Rule 3.289, A (2) (d).)

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    My brew kettle arrives Thursday. Hoping to get brewing by Friday but I have a lot of work to do until then and more research to make sure I take all the proper steps.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Just a reminder. As of September 2005 you need a permit for the following in Texas:

A. Condensers
    B. Distilling apparatus
    C. Vacuum dryers
    D. Three-necked flasks
    E. Distilling flasks
    F. Tableting machines
    G. Encapsulating machines
    H. Filter funnels, buchner funnels, and
    separatory funnels
    I. Erlenmyer flasks, two-necked flasks, single
    neck flasks, round-bottom flasks, Florence
    flasks, thermometer flasks, and filtering flasks
    J. Soxhlet extractors
    K. Transformers
    L. Flask heaters
    M. Heating mantles
    N. Adapter tubes
    Fortunately you don't need any of that stuff to brew beer or wine. Filter funnels, tho? Some coffee pots use filter funnels. I've seen filter funnels for pouring gas into things. I bet there are filter funnels in every high school chemistry lab in TX. That's just nucking futs...

Top Bottom