• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    So I suppose this best falls under the Cooking section sadly (maybe get a section for just beer? )

I made some EdWort's Apfelwine this morning. Cleaned and sanitized all my equipment. Followed the directions. And of course here's the obligatory pitchers.

Link to EdWort's Recipe for credit. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

269322_3327461355877_1945482452_n.jpg

528364_3327539317826_1714645547_n.jpg

208924_3327542597908_230199792_n.jpg

555668_3327557438279_1178716224_n.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Nice.
    I might need to try that one day.
    I home brew, but usually use honey, water, and yeast for a traditional mead.

My beer experiments have been too hoppy for the recipe I thought I was brewing.

Tapatalk sent it.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I've been wanting to get into homebrew for years. Maybe this is the year I'll finally do it. That mead sounds interesting. I made some jungle juice one time when I was a kid out of gatorade powder and yeast. It was actually pretty good. lol

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    After touring a local distillery I have been doing some research on that. However there is no way to home distill spirits and stay legal in the US. However it's ok to do it in New Zealand, so there is a wealth of knowledge, equipment, etc. out there by those folks on the internet. Not saying I will, but having the base knowledge is nice.

Tried beer once, and found out I can't make drinkable beer, LOL.

Did make a batch of "Apple Pie" recently that was pretty darn good.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You can buy water purification units that work by using heat, just saying. Lol

You can also freeze the water out a little at a time.

Not advocating. Just sharing info.

Tapatalk sent it.

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    Yeah I toured Saint Arnold's brewery last year and my beer craze took off from there. I'm just waiting on my brew kettle to arrive so i can start working on a few kit beers, then move onto formulating my own recipes. I'm starting off with extract brewing and will upgrade to all-grain as time and money allow. If any of you fellas are interested in homebrewing, feel free to ask me any qquestions and I'll do my best to answer. I will be posting mmore pictures of my brews as I go along.

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    sears use to sell a box kit from home made beer. Im sure many of you have seen it. I bought one once cost like 39 bucks i think. Took 6-7 days for the beer to make itself in the fridge. I think it sat out room temp for like a day then to the fridge for the rest. It was a cool experience and back in the day I was a alcoholic so it was good to me and didnt get wasted. Hell, its been 4 years since ive had more than 2 beers in one sitting i bet.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Just a reminder. As of September 2005 you need a permit for the following in Texas:

A. Condensers
    B. Distilling apparatus
    C. Vacuum dryers
    D. Three-necked flasks
    E. Distilling flasks
    F. Tableting machines
    G. Encapsulating machines
    H. Filter funnels, buchner funnels, and
    separatory funnels
    I. Erlenmyer flasks, two-necked flasks, single
    neck flasks, round-bottom flasks, Florence
    flasks, thermometer flasks, and filtering flasks
    J. Soxhlet extractors
    K. Transformers
    L. Flask heaters
    M. Heating mantles
    N. Adapter tubes

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    Just a reminder. As of September 2005 you need a permit for the following in Texas:

A. Condensers
    B. Distilling apparatus
    C. Vacuum dryers
    D. Three-necked flasks
    E. Distilling flasks
    F. Tableting machines
    G. Encapsulating machines
    H. Filter funnels, buchner funnels, and
    separatory funnels
    I. Erlenmyer flasks, two-necked flasks, single
    neck flasks, round-bottom flasks, Florence
    flasks, thermometer flasks, and filtering flasks
    J. Soxhlet extractors
    K. Transformers
    L. Flask heaters
    M. Heating mantles
    N. Adapter tubes

I don't use any of that, but the two necked flask makes me go WTF? We're supposed to be free right? LIES! Anyways, I'm getting a really nice fermentation going with steady airlock activity and krauzen (foamy head that develops during initial fermentation from the yeast eating the sugars and building up CO2) forming, even though krauzen does not not normally occur with this type of beverage.

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    god i want to get into brewing my own. wouldnt mind making some RandomHero IPA

Do it. You won't regret it. I went all in and treated this like another full fledged hobby. I've probably dropped around $1500 on getting a really sweet setup and all.

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks for making me laugh for the first time today.

Anytime.

On a related note, does anyone in the Houston/ Sugar Land/Richmond area know where I can find 2 inch thick extruded polystyrene? I need some to build a fermentation chiller.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Anytime.

On a related note, does anyone in the Houston/ Sugar Land/Richmond area know where I can find 2 inch thick extruded polystyrene? I need some to build a fermentation chiller.

That size might be a bit hard to find at your local Home Depot or Lowes.

However I do know that Furgerson's has it in Spring for 2 inch pipe. Comes in 6 foot section and is about $0.44 a foot. Now if you are looking at trying to get that thickness on a smaller pipe, then get some regular pipe insulation, and layer this on top of it.
    21250 Foster Rd
    Spring, Texas 77388-4505
    Phone : (281) 350-3355

Since that is on the other side of town from you, I would call and have it delivered to a closer location.
    Locations Finder

clonies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Houston
    Thanks acera I'll give them a ring. I contacted two insulation companies to see if they'd sell me some. I oonly need a 4 by 8 foot piece

Top Bottom