• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    Only a couple things bothered me about this story (watch the video at the below link):

1) They made it seem as if you need a CHL to possess a handgun on your own property.

2) The neighbor who didn't like the fact that the home owner defended himself with his handgun.

On the other side of the coin, I was happy to see the Chief of Police endorse and actually encourage people to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

JOHNSON CITY, Texas (KXAN) - Jessica Martinez was jarred out of bed by a gunshot early Monday morning . It is a sound she did not expect to hear in her quaint Johnson City neighborhood .
    "It sounded like a firecracker," said Martinez, who moved to the area from San Antonio.
    Across the street at her neighbor's home on the corner of Avenue G & Ash Street, police said that around 1:30 a.m. Christopher Ricketts, 23, came into the home through an unlocked door.
    The homeowner awoke to find Ricketts – who he didn’t know -- inside his home.
    Upon spotting Ricketts, the homeowner fired one shot from his 9MM, striking Ricketts in the upper left chest.
    Ricketts was transported by LifeFlight to University Medical Center Brackenridge in Austin in critical but stable condition.
    "You have to ask yourself, is this worth it to risk your life," said Johnson City Police Chief Randy Holland.
    Holland told KXAN Ricketts rode a bike to the home. The red bike was taken as evidence.
    "We still do not know why he was in the home, if he was there to burglarize or was just lost," Holland added.
    Police said Ricketts had a backpack with a screwdriver and sock inside.
    "Those are burglary tools," Holland explained.
    Holland said the homeowner, who neighbors describe as a Caucasian man in his early 60s, did have a license to carry a concealed handgun and that he had a right to defend his home.
    "I suggest everyone take advantage of their 2nd Amendment right to possess a firearm and lawfully protect their families and property," said Holland.
    Still, neighbors think the man should have been more careful.
    Martinez's home in San Antonio was shot up her neighbor there as he defended his home.
    "My kids are sleeping right in that room by the window. What if that bullet would have come across the street into your home?" Martinez asked.
    Police have yet to charge Ricketts and are waiting for him to recover at the hospital.
    They say the main thing is that he gets better.
    As of now, charges have also not been filed against the homeowner and Holland will submit this case to the district attorney and present the facts to a Blanco County grand jury.
    Holland added that Ricketts does not have a record nor a history of any mental illness.

Link

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Edited how?

Homeowner shoots intruder in the chest | KXAN.com

I don't see anything in there about a CHL or mental status or some of the other details above.

Guess I followed a different link embedded in the story.....

Johnson CIty Police: "Castle Doctrine" applies

Updated: Wednesday, 03 Aug 2011, 2:12 PM CDT
    Published : Tuesday, 02 Aug 2011, 6:31 PM CDT

Calily Bien
    JOHNSON CITY, Texas (KXAN) - A Johnson City man is recovering from a gunshot wound after he was found inside someone else’s home.

Johnson City police said Monday that around 1:30 a.m. Christopher Ricketts, 23, came into a home on Avenue G near East Ash Drive through an unlocked door.

The homeowner awoke to find Ricketts – who he didn’t know -- inside his home.

Upon spotting Ricketts, the homeowner fired one shot from his pistol, striking Ricketts in the upper left chest.

Ricketts was transported by LifeFlight to University Medical Center Brackenridge in Austin in critical but stable condition.

“This case involving the home invasion and homeowner shooting the intruder appears to be justified, however JCPD will submit this case to the district attorney and present the facts to a Blanco County grand jury," said Chief of Police Randy Holland.

Police said they found a screwdriver and a sock in Ricketts backpack; they also believe he rode to the home on a bicycle.

"I suggest everyone take advantage of their 2nd Amendment right to possess a firearm and lawfully protect their families and property," said Holland.

Police said they are still investigating the case and Ricketts has not been charged with anything at this time.

CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    Side note for the fellow police officers out there. Did you see the JCPD officer in the video rockin' the Aviator sunglasses? HAHAHAHAHA! Who still wears those? I mean c'mon, really?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I see a lot of bias in that reporting piece. What has a CHL have to do with defending your home from some asshat that enters at 1:3o in the am? I don't think it makes a difference if the homeowner forgot to lock the door... an unlocked door does not give license for free entry of a personal doweling. Seems they went out of there way to find a neighbor concerned about the safety of kids in the next house. Police calling it this point calling it "justified" yet, the news people put question to that.

Ugh

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Side note for the fellow police officers out there. Did you see the JCPD officer in the video rockin' the Aviator sunglasses? HAHAHAHAHA! Who still wears those? I mean c'mon, really?

I do... :-)

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...loh-shooting-range/25621-mens-sunglasses.html

0RB3449_002_71-01.jpg

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I see a lot of bias in that reporting piece. What has a CHL have to do with defending your home from some asshat that enters at 1:3o in the am? I don't think it makes a difference if the homeowner forgot to lock the door... an unlocked door does not give license for free entry of a personal doweling. Seems they went out of there way to find a neighbor concerned about the safety of kids in the next house. Police calling it this point calling it "justified" yet, the news people put question to that.

Ugh

Nothing like the typical response from the mainstream liberal media that thinks (and I use that term loosely) that anyone who uses a gun, legally, to defend their home, family or friends is some kind of vigilante who is out to kill everyone. The Castle Doctrine applies 100% in this case, at least as far as the story reported shows. If there are other extenuating circumstances, then those should come out in any follow-up investigation. If there aren't any other circumstances, the shooting should be declared "justified" and the homeowner is free and clear. If the neighbors don't like the fact that he defended himself, that's just tough shit for them. He exercised his right to defend himself so they can just move to another country (like the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia) if it bothers them so much.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    What the hell does this sentence mean? I read it 3 times and am still clueless:

"Martinez's home in San Antonio was shot up her neighbor there as he defended his home."

Did they leave out the word "by" and try to imply that the neighbor's previous house had been shot up by a CHL defending his property? Very tricky media bullshittery going on in this report.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I like how they used a life flight helicopter to transport his ass. We just picked up the tab for $20k of Helicopter transport.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Aviators are bad ass! "**** with me and I'll kill you and bury you in the desert" sort of bad ass.

I'm curious to see whether this guy gets no-billed.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    What a dumbass neighbor, now the criminal element will know for sure which home is ripe for the pillaging! Serves him right...

Top Bottom