• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Another for Germania. When State Farm did a huge increase 20+ years ago I switched. I priced insurance back in Feb and nobody came close for home/auto combination policies. YMMV of course.
    DK Firearms

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    It is hard to say why a particular persons insurance rates went up. Your insurance rate is based on the coverage you have. And since the cost of building materials have gone up the $/sq.ft. rebuild cost has gone up. I used to work for a large commercial insurer and we always had to look at the rebuild cost to determine the rate. A lot of times companies wanted to get insured based on the depreciated costs of the building, to save money. Generally your house insurance is not tied to the tax basis. Rebuild cost can be more or less than the real estate value. I currently have Farmers for both vehicles and house, last time I checked (I do this every 2 years) this was still the best deal around.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It is hard to say why a particular persons insurance rates went up. Your insurance rate is based on the coverage you have. And since the cost of building materials have gone up the $/sq.ft. rebuild cost has gone up. I used to work for a large commercial insurer and we always had to look at the rebuild cost to determine the rate. A lot of times companies wanted to get insured based on the depreciated costs of the building, to save money. Generally your house insurance is not tied to the tax basis. Rebuild cost can be more or less than the real estate value. I currently have Farmers for both vehicles and house, last time I checked (I do this every 2 years) this was still the best deal around.
    Their reconstruction estimate matches the insured value.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Are you eligible for USAA? Nobody better.
    My in-laws had been with USAA for over 50 years. However, the last time they priced insurance, Germania won hands down and the service has been excellent.
    We have been with USAA for going on 40 years and the service has been going South.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My in-laws had been with USAA for over 50 years. However, the last time they priced insurance, Germania won hands down and the service has been excellent.
    We have been with USAA for going on 40 years and the service has been going South.

I dropped USAA insurance for CHUBB. I now have actual coverage.

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    I got a quote from USAA a few years back. They wanted almost double what I was paying Farm Bureau for home owners. Needless to say I stayed with FB.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Check w/Germania as well....firearms are considered "Household Goods".

My neighbors HAD Germania until they refused to pay for a damages caused by a lightning strike to their house because they couldn't prove it was lightning. They were home when the lightning hit. It blew all the siding off of one wall of the house and fried a bunch of the wiring.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Most people shop rates on premiums. I shop for referrals on covering claims. If a tree falls on my house, the last thing I want to deal with is an insurance company that doesn't want to pay. And by the way, I use Texas Farm Bureau. They may not be the cheapest, but I have never heard anyone complain about them trying to weasel their way out of paying a claim.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    You should see whats happening inside USAA... I worked there for years and still have friends there currently.

They sent out an email about equality vs equity to all employees the other week. Of course the executives and CEO are immune from that talk and get to keep their private islands and what not.

From 2016 til now the corporate work environment has drastically changed from a fun military/veteran focused workplace to a woke retard fest. Kinda breaks my heart as it was such a great job. The still have the meritocracy in place but after that last email, you can kiss that goodbye

Even the type of people in the office has shifted from normal white collar workers to the typical austinite freak show atleast that is what I saw when I was there

HarryK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Annetta, TX
    I may have to start looking for another insurance company for car and home.

Any suggestions?
    We are with Farmer’s (home, auto & umbrella). Our HO premium increased 22%. I told our agent to try again because I would not accept a 20+% increase each year - it’s unsustainable. In the meantime, I checked out PolicyGenius.com, and they provided me with competitive quotes. Fortunately, our agent came back with a lower premium (and better coverage). Good luck.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My neighbors HAD Germania until they refused to pay for a damages caused by a lightning strike to their house because they couldn't prove it was lightning. They were home when the lightning hit. It blew all the siding off of one wall of the house and fried a bunch of the wiring.

Odd, I had a strike in the backyard about 15 years ago that blew out one of my heat pumps, garbage disposal, water cooler and dishwasher - basically everything on the east wall of the house near the backyard. No issues with the claim. No proof it hit my house since it hit the yard but no questions from the adjuster.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Odd, I had a strike in the backyard about 15 years ago that blew out one of my heat pumps, garbage disposal, water cooler and dishwasher - basically everything on the east wall of the house near the backyard. No issues with the claim. No proof it hit my house since it hit the yard but no questions from the adjuster.

If they use independent adjusters, maybe my neighbor pissed off the adjuster.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    Progressive jacked up all my prices are few years ago after 10 years of paying premiums without a single claim. I switched to USAA. The prices are OK, but the service is excellent.

I may have to start looking for another insurance company for car and home.

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom