Capitol Armory ad

Holy Hell!!! Another SWAT style entry...for late student loan payments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It must be fashionable to have your own little SWAT-style team these days. This guy's estranged wife didn't pay her student loans. The US Dept of Ed breaks down his door, sends in an entry team and keeps him in his kids in a car for 6 hours while searching his house. His wife doesn't even live there anymore!

I'm not sure if these are just getting reported more now, or if they're actually occurring more. What is up with these judges? How about knocking on the door first to see if she's there? How about just a little bit of due diligence before you kick someone's door in? She seems like a real violent offender right? All the guy wants is an apology and a new door but they won't talk to him.

Dept. of Education breaks down Stockton man's door | news10.net
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They must have suspected an armed suspect in the home, but how exactly could they ascertain that and not know she didn't live there? Furthermore, why would you send in a SWAT team with absolutely zero surveillance of the household.

Something is not adding up here ...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    All news stories on this link back to that "News10" story. I would also give this one some time to play out and see what the specifics were. I would think that there is much more to this story. We have only heard the homeowner's version.

If they had a warrant to search the house they were searching for something. I would be curious to know what that something is.

How many times have police gone to this house?
    What types of calls?
    Arrests made at this house before?
    How many? What charges?
    Drug activity here? Stolen property here?

There could be lots of reasons why things were done the way they were. Not enough here for me to be outraged...yet.

It has been my experience that those who immediately run to the media are usually trying to divert attention from their own actions. They also usually do a good job of portraying themselves as completely innocent of any wrongdoing. In time the truth usually comes out, but the media (especially TV media) wants the headline grabbing 30 second story TODAY. Not the in depth accurate story...tomorrow.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, I'd agree on the reporting.

I'm still outraged because (a)it appears they didn't do enough homework/surveillance and (b) they created a high risk situation with kids in the house that appears unwarranted as a result of (a).

They should have some situational info regarding who's in the house and the type of force that's required. Again, safety/reduced-risk for both the occupants and the LEOs. It appears like they didn't even know who was there, and busting into a house with no perp and kids is BS. They should have known she was gone and attempted to serve the warrant by knocking first, with SWAT as a close stand by.

I can't think of any additional info that could come out that would change my opinion on that. I'm not saying additional info wouldn't change my mind, just that I can't think of any.

How many times have police gone to this house?
    What types of calls?
    Arrests made at this house before?
    How many? What charges?
    Drug activity here? Stolen property here?

I thought through these and still don't see why these should affect the method of serving the warrant if there's proper intelligence gathered PRIOR to serving the warrant.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Again...all I can say is we know NOTHING about what happened except a short blurp from a disgruntled husband.

I will wait to see how it all plays out. The FEDS may well have overstepped. They are quite good at doing that. But we may find out lots of other infor that this guy left out when he went crying to the media.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, and all the "facts" in the article could be wrong too since the papers do even less due diligence.

Maybe I'm naive, I just think things could be handled less violently in general. I would be concerned about accidentally hurting someone innocent, like one of the kids.

If you think about how easy it is to kidnap someone in the US, and then realize that's almost exactly the same as arresting someone, then why wouldn't you do it in the easiest and lowest risk way possible? For example, sneak up and tazer them as they're walking to their car.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I often talk to PIOs at other agnecies about how to handle media.

Esentially the media will put anyone, and I mean ANYONE on camera. It is imperetive that LE make some remarks even if only to say that they cant release details. "No comment" wont fly anymore.

If the media runs into a "no comment" from the people involved they will talk to the shirtless, homeless, toothless guy that watched the raid from a block away, and get his take. He will be described as "John Doe- Witness to brutal police raid" It sounds funny but I have actually seen that very thing happen. All they want is someone to comment, and they will keep going until they get someone to comment.

My philosophy is that it is better for me to talk to them, than the dope smoking, skateboarder that saw the arrest go down and wants to be on TV.

Who knows why this one went down this way...hopefully soon we will be enlightened.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Something had to kick this up to SWAT ... there had to be some sort of high risk element involved that we aren't seeing. Violent past, guns, drugs, something.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I heard about a related story where SWAT went after someone for unpaid library fines. I am kidding at this point, but where does it stop?

What would they have done if she had been there?

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    This guy was probably a poster on this website. They figured he was a Branch Davidian cast-a-way with a truck load of guns!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom