• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is 200 rounds from 7-10 yards shooting my M&P 9mm. Mix of slow fire, double taps and rapid fire.

I noticed two things...ive been shooting twice in the last two weeks and it definitely is a skill that degrades without use. The other thing I was focusing on was shooting double taps well. I found if I really gripped the gun well, I got back on target much more quickly.

32c539f0250b129ce510f2a73ff5ed21.jpg
    DK Firearms

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    You using a timer?
    If so, I'd like to hear how.
    I need to work more and play less at the range.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You using a timer?
    If so, I'd like to hear how.
    I need to work more and play less at the range.
    I didn't last time but I do have one and it helps. Welcome to use mine if you ever come shooting in Austin with us.

As far as how I use it? There are lots of different ways depending upon your goals. Starting off just shooting for 1 second between shots then .5 seconds then .25 seconds is pretty useful. At some point groups come off the rails. Most of us can pull the trigger quicker than we can get the sights back on target. I was probably in the 0.5-0.25 range on most of these shots. I can shoot quicker but the group would be bigger. This is an IDPA target so u want to keep them all in the -0 circles (headshots are also -0).

It really gives a person a sense of how the groups open up with speed and learning to require the sights more quickly to shoot more quickly while keeping decent groups.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've only been shooting pistols about 3 years. As a kid we shot cans with 22s and clays but that was about it. In the army we shot rifles and machine guns, never pistols.

When I first started shooting pistols id make an OK group and feel good about it. Then I started shooting IDPA and with some friends who were much better than me. It was really humbling to see people shoot accurately AND fast. Real fast.

So thats really what ive been working towards. This trigger certainly makes it a little easier but the biggest things ive learned are to grip the gun so it recovers from recoil quickly and to break the next shot as soon as the sight picture "flashes".

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Shooting at speed is a continuous exercise to try and see faster, and to follow the bouncing front sight in recoil, using the front sight as your "gas pedal" to dictate when to break the next shot.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Shooting at speed is a continuous exercise to try and see faster, and to follow the bouncing front sight in recoil, using the front sight as your "gas pedal" to dictate when to break the next shot.

What front sight do you prefer for speed and IDPA type accuracy? (not hunting or precision shooting)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What front sight do you prefer for speed and IDPA type accuracy? (not hunting or precision shooting)

All black front and rear. Everyone is different, so it's totally an individual preference. For me, I've found that the less I have going on visually, the easier it is for me to focus on what matters and just shoot the gun. 3 dot sight, fiber optic, tritium, etc., for me at least I just see way too much with those types of front sights, and it gets too visually confusing for me. Solid black, I feel I can more easily shoot without potentially getting visually confused. For example, with some fiber optic sights, it can sometimes be very difficult to find the top of the front sight blade, if you're really trying to go for absolute accuracy. Also, there's always the question of, at what range or for what degree of accuracy do you switch from just placing the dot on target to using the top of the sight? For me, I find that to be entirely too many questions to be dealing with, as opposed to simply superimposing that solid black aligned sight package where I want it and pressing the trigger while holding it there.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    And I find it just the opposite. With my eyes and bifocals, on my tactical, if I have enough time, ok. On my 1911 gov model, they are just a blur. They will both eventually get at least a front fiber optic.
    Edit: if anyone knows of someone that offers a flat fiber optic front sight, that would be fabulous. I know it can be done, just have not seen any.
    from an idgit coffeeholic

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    And I find it just the opposite. With my eyes and bifocals, on my tactical, if I have enough time, ok. On my 1911 gov model, they are just a blur. They will both eventually get at least a front fiber optic.
    Edit: if anyone knows of someone that offers a flat fiber optic front sight, that would be fabulous. I know it can be done, just have not seen any.

Just curious, what do you mean by "flat fiber optic"?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have seen display boards that were flat but acted as fiber optic on the sides. A fiber optic in a flat balde like a normal front sight blade. The biggest problem would be keepng it on.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have seen display boards that were flat but acted as fiber optic on the sides. A fiber optic in a flat balde like a normal front sight blade. The biggest problem would be keepng it on.

Ah okay, that makes sense. That would be an interesting setup to try. I could actually see that working better for certain uses, as you're still aligning straight lines as opposed to a mix of straight lines and/or a dot.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, I know it's not exactly the same thing, but as far as 1911 sights somewhat in that configuration, Heirloom Precision makes a gold line front sight, which is basically a gold inlay on the sight. Very pricey as I understand it, but it's certainly one option. I'm not sure if they sell the sights separately though:

Signature Grade 1911

Signature%20Grade%201911%204.jpg

Also, a cheap option that might be worth considering. Get a metal paint pen and paint a line on your front sight. You can usually find these at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or many other arts & crafts type stores. Some of them come in a very bright orange, which might work well. Do a layer or two of white, then a layer of orange (it's brighter than just painting directly on the black sight surface). It's worth a shot.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Well, I know it's not exactly the same thing, but as far as 1911 sights somewhat in that configuration, Heirloom Precision makes a gold line front sight, which is basically a gold inlay on the sight. Very pricey as I understand it, but it's certainly one option. I'm not sure if they sell the sights separately though:

Signature Grade 1911

Signature%20Grade%201911%204.jpg

Also, a cheap option that might be worth considering. Get a metal paint pen and paint a line on your front sight. You can usually find these at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or many other arts & crafts type stores. Some of them come in a very bright orange, which might work well. Do a layer or two of white, then a layer of orange (it's brighter than just painting directly on the black sight surface). It's worth a shot.
    Sharpie gold works wonders.

Top Bottom