• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Hoplophobia roughly translates to fear of weapons. It's most common with women who have grown up without an education of weapons or have suffered some traumatic event as a result of them. If you are an active shooter with a significant other who is a Hoplophobe, this can be an area of tension in the relationship as well as the individual being a liability in a self defense situation.

In an attempt to get hoplophobes to be at least comfortable around firearms, I've seen many guys TRY to get their SO to shoot by essentially dragging them to a range and lecturing them about how they may have to defend themselves from an attacker. Many people will jump right to this trying to get an individual afraid enough to shoot. A scared person is NOT going to control of a firearm and will most likely give up the idea within minutes. This just shuts down ANY communication with that individual and they have yet another bad experience with weapons which further solidifies their phobia.

Keep in mind this is not a chore, but represents an opprotunity for mutual education, development of skill sets and if done as a couple will provide you both with a fun activity that will build your relationship as well. I've found that shooting with a woman for the first time is a memorable experience for us both.....Here's how to make that memory a good one:

IMO for Die-Hard Anti-gun nuts, the best way to get them at least comfortable with them is to start small. A basic understanding of trajectory and ballistics can be as easy as playing most sports. There, she will understand what's it's like to have control of a projectile.

Then graduate to archery, laser tag, paintball to give her confidence in aiming some sort of device. This will also remove some of the stigma of a gun as an object to be feared. Control over these child's toys will significantly improve an individual's confidence in handling a real firearm.

From there invite her to the range to observe. Make a game out of target practice challenging yourself and be sure to use non-human-silhouette targets (again to remove the stigma associated with active shooters as man hunting crazy people) At some point she may want to participate. Start her off slow and light with the most controllable weapon you have. Make it easy to start, but continue to challenge her with smaller targets further away.

Once she’s somewhat confident that she CAN hit targets, make a “date” of going to the range. I’ve seen couple play “tic-tac-toe” with their targets. This will solidify her desire to continue shooting. Then and ONLY then to you begin to address the Self-defense aspect of firearms. Many people will jump right to this trying to get an individual afraid enough to shoot. A scared person is NOT going to control of a firearm and will most likely give up the idea within minutes.

IMO for Die-Hard Anti-gun people, the best way to get them at least comfortable with them is to start small. A basic understanding of trajectory and ballistics can be as easy as playing most sports. There, she will understand what's it's like to have control of a projectile.

Then graduate to archery, laser tag, paintball to give her confidence in aiming some sort of device. This will also remove some of the stigma of a gun as an object to be feared. Control over these child's toys will significantly improve an individual's confidence in handling a real firearm.
    From there invite her to the range to observe. Make a game out of target practice challenging yourself and be sure to use non-human-silhouette targets (again to remove the stigma associated with active shooters as man hunting crazy people) At some point she may want to participate. Start her off slow and light with the most controllable weapon you have. Make it easy to start, but continue to challenge her with smaller targets further away.

Once she’s somewhat confident that she CAN hit targets, make a “date” of going to the range. I’ve seen couple play “tic-tac-toe” with their targets. This will solidify her desire to continue shooting. Then and ONLY then to you begin to address the Self-defense aspect of firearms. At this point, it's easy to transition from target shooting confidence to tactical use and situational awareness.

Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm going to chime in and say that if your SO wants to learn to shoot, have someone else teach her. For some reason, all women date and marry idiots... no matter how smart we are.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I'm going to chime in and say that if your SO wants to learn to shoot, have someone else teach her. For some reason, all women date and marry idiots... no matter how smart we are.

That's right. It's the same thing with golf. I've seen husbands try and teach their wife and it never works out as well as when they get with the local golf pro at the course to teach her. Mucho better and less strife in the marriage.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Thats what I did with my wife i took her to the gun range and got the guy who did my chl to teach her how to operate and shoot a handgun, now I can't get her leave my guns alone long enough to clean them. She even came home one day with a smith & wesson m&p .40 of her own.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I'd have an instructor teach mine because there's at least some chance she'd actually listen to him. If I tried, she'd just spend the whole time arguing with me. :banghead:

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Speaking of instructors, would it help to have another woman do the teaching? Is there some way they relate with each other that makes it easier?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Grayson County
    Hey now, my husband was the one who got me interested in guns and taught me how to shoot. It helped that he gave me basic instruction and then left me to my own devices to shoot one or two rounds at a time, instead of hovering and correcting me through my first range time. He was shooting in the next lane and would stop whenever I had a question for him, and only after I got comfortable with the idea did he start really fine-tuning my grip and technique. It worked well for us, but I realize for most couples this isn't practical or effective for some reason or another. Just wanted to say that it is possible!

Also, the idea of tic-tac-toe target-shooting sounds fun. We'll try that at long range to help improve our aim. ;)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My girlfriend was afraid of guns and didn't really like big knives either. She's good with both now. I never pressured her into it, but her curiosity and just watching me got her comfortable with them. One of the things that I think helped was whenever I'd buy a new one, I'd show her my new acquisition. She likes shopping so at least she could relate to the fun of a new purchase even if she wasn't comfortable with the device.

It took her awhile before she actually wanted to try shooting one, but when she did I let her try my Ruger .22. It's easy to shoot, has nice sights, and its heavy so there's virtually no recoil. I had some steel targets setup too. It's more fun when you hear that PING.

Immediately after the .22 I let her try my 9mm P226. "Oh no! That's too much!", she said. Well a few days later I showed her a video of a 11yo girl rocking a glock in a competition of some kind. I told her the little girl was using the same caliber that she thought was too much. That's all it took and now she'll shoot all calibers. I still can't get her to try the .44 mag, tho.

Now I just need to get her to practice more.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I feel very fortunate as my lady is an accomplished pistol shot, a Correctional Officer, a High Master rifle shooter at 200 yards and an Expert to Master rifle competitor at 600 yards. She got her CHL before I got mine.

I taught her how to shoot and it boiled down to knowing when to keep my mouth shut. Show her something and back off while monitoring her progress. If correction is needed, do it quietly and in private as a suggestion then let her try it out. The most fun is seeing her offer suggestions to other shooters. It's important to stay out of it and let her have a say. Never correct her in front of others.

Flash

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Cute thread. I think most of us has come upon this at one time or another.

One time about 10 years ago I met a gal out in a club, got to talking about guns, she gave the standard "They ALL need to be banned" crappola. Well eventually I managed to get her to agree to a "Range Date".

The first thing I did was set a pistol on the shooting bench. Told her that it could stay there until doomsday and it would never harm a thing by itself. It wouldn't "jump up" and start shooting everyone. She got that message.

Started out with empty gun, showed her the chamber and empty mag. Then the hand positions, a little dry firing. Oh, one very important thing, EAR Protection. Without it they will turn and run.

Next one round, fired once. Then another. Then finally a full mag. When we got down to the last mag loads in the box, she was popping the mag in and releasing the slide by herself.

They learn fast. Women are not as dumb as we think they are.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Interesting thread. I've been looking for ways to help my wife get more into shooting. . . . .I've been fairly limited by time at this point. (Frankly, I don't remember the last time I've done anything but dream about shooting). I want to get her enrolled in a class, one that will expose her to more than just my Glock and pocket pistol in the hopes of helping plant the idea of "her" pistol so occasionally "we" can go shooting. I'm always afraid some idiot will set her up with a S&W 442 or some snubbie cause she's a woman.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences in the San Antonio area? In about 5 wks, my time is going to be a lot less restrictive.

(tick tack toe sounds AWESOME btw.)

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    The first thing I did was set a pistol on the shooting bench. Told her that it could stay there until doomsday and it would never harm a thing by itself. It wouldn't "jump up" and start shooting everyone. She got that message.

Yep - first of all, new shooters have to get over being scared of the thing. I was showing my wife the new M&P15, and of course the EBR appearance put her off. I did the same as you; set it on the table and told her we could wait for days and it isn't going to kill anything. I told her that guns don't kill people, bullets do. Clear it and double-check that there's no bullet in there and you can use it for batting practice if you want.

Top Bottom