• ...and so much more!
  • Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Guys I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot, wasn't sure if I should even post at all as he's very private. Please move or delete this if it's in the wrong spot or violates a rule.

I have an Uncle (mom's youngest brother) who has a ton of health problems, regular dialysis, etc. My mom contacted me about him needing some sort of electric chair/scooter sort of thing. He's a Viet Nam vet, drafted straight out of high school and it's my thought the VA should handle that but apparently not. I figured someone here may have had the experience of chasing down programs that might help a bit or how to get the VA to take care of it or any suggestions at all.

I don't have all the details yet, Betty (his wife) is supposed to call today.
    Capitol Armory ad

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    If he has a service connected disability, he can get VA care for that, if he can prove it. If he is indigent, or limited means, he can get general VA health care as a Vet. Veterans who have the means for getting health care generally do not qualify for health benefits.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    There is a list of health problems that qualify for VA benefits for those who served in nam. Check the VA webb site for details. It is because agent orange got into the water system and was still there long after the quit using the stuff.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If his DD214 has RVN on it listed as one of his deployments he is all but guarnteed at least a 40 percent disability rating and coverage for his health needs

like others have said, if he is not registered with the VA thats the first thing he has to do
    He has to have that 214. Anyone who has served knows what that is and how important it is. I'm sure he has a copy of it

The government has a list of diseases http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/index.asp
    associated with being exposed to Agent Orange and if you went to viet nam, even got off the plane, walked around and got back on the plane, you are considered service connected if you have any one of those conditions

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    There is a list of health problems that qualify for VA benefits for those who served in nam. Check the VA webb site for details. It is because agent orange got into the water system and was still there long after the quit using the stuff.

actually you didn't have to serve in Nam to have been exposed to Agent Orange
    aircraft maintenance personel and anyone working in the cargo holds of the planes carrying it, we exposed as well
    it just helps if you were in Nam, but don't think you were not exposed if you never served in country

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    He has to have that 214. Anyone who has served knows what that is and how important it is. I'm sure he has a copy of it

But if he doesn't, it's not that hard to get a copy of it. I think you can even request it online now.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Many of his health issues are service related, he is hooked up with VA. He's been sick on and off for quite a while. Like I say, don't have all the details yet just heard he needs one or help getting one or something and I'm going to help him if I can. I just posted this thread in case someone had relevant experience they could share and save me a little legwork.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Unfortunately, there is always legwork involved. See if you can find a Veteran's One Stop or similar support office near your community.

dw257

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Texas Veterans Commission has offices in Dallas, Waco, and Austin. They can help you get started and probably guide you through the entire process. They provided me with representation during video conferences with VA officials in DC. Also there is a veterans representative at most county court houses.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Texas Veterans Commission has offices in Dallas, Waco, and Austin. They can help you get started and probably guide you through the entire process. They provided me with representation during video conferences with VA officials in DC. Also there is a veterans representative at most county court houses.

So do some counties. Johnson county has a veterans services individual who's entire job it to help veterans get whatever help they might be eligible for.

Top Bottom