• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Just got a new LED TV and need to hook it up with my old (2 yrs is old I guess) reciever. The reciever does not have HDMi (?) connections, so a guy at best buy said all I needed was a fiber optices audio cable from TV to reciever and good to go. Hooked it up and on some channels (local stations, not cable)there is no sound. Flip to others and the sound is perfect. What gives? Will I get the most out of this TV with my old reciever or should I upgrade as well? The HDMi single cable connections that my TV has seems very simple and nice! Was told it is better saound quality as well.
    Lynx Defense

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Check the simple first...since you have sound on same stations and not on others, make sure that your TV is not trying to use SLP where available...simple programing setting on most TV's.

On my TV, using fiber optics to get sound to my Home Theater, I had to go in and set the audio output to go to the fiber as well....

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Check the simple first...since you have sound on same stations and not on others, make sure that your TV is not trying to use SLP where available...simple programing setting on most TV's.

On my TV, using fiber optics to get sound to my Home Theater, I had to go in and set the audio output to go to the fiber as well....
    sounds right to me but i dont have a new
    reciever but i got rid of the optics cables they dont work on mine. mine is a old yahmaha
    amp with a set of old bose 501s and it bumps

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    My reciever is a Yamaha RX-V361 that I bought about 3 years ago. I upgraded from my Kenwood I had since 1997. Guess I should have waited a couple more years to upgrade. Mine is considered out of date......again.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Ok. Got the prior problem solved. Now on some DVDs there is a lag in the sound. The sound is behind, but only on some DVDs. I have the DVD/VCR combo player going to the reviever and the reciever hooke to the TV with a fiber otic cable. I am strting to think a new reciever with HDMI connections would be easier!

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    I am strting to think a new reciever with HDMI connections would be easier!

It would certainly be easier but probably is not needed.

How is your DVD player connected to the TV and the receiver? Also, where are you seeing the delay? Are you trying to play the sound through the TV speakers or the speakers connected to your receiver?

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Ok DVD/VCR Player (audio & video) is going to the reciever DVD IN AV connections. I have a RCA cable going from reciever MOTITOR OUT connection to TV AV1 VIDEO in connection. Then I put a fiberoptic audio cable from receiver to TV. Told by best buy I needed this to here TV sudio over surround sound speakers instead of TV speaker.

I am hearing the delay through the surround sound speakers. I really only have 3 speakers (front center, front left, front right) and a sub.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Ok DVD/VCR Player (audio & video) is going to the reciever DVD IN AV connections. I have a RCA cable going from reciever MOTITOR OUT connection to TV AV1 VIDEO in connection. Then I put a fiberoptic audio cable from receiver to TV. Told by best buy I needed this to here TV sudio over surround sound speakers instead of TV speaker.

I am hearing the delay through the surround sound speakers. I really only have 3 speakers (front center, front left, front right) and a sub.

Run the DVD audio and video to the TV, problem should be solved.

Top Bottom