• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've had that happen. For reasons I don't understand, Federal primers give me more problems in turning sideways or flipping over. I wouldn't use them except that primer shortages have forced me to.

When it happens, I run it back through the sizer die and pop the primer out. I don't like to trust it after that, so I dispose of it. I can't tell if the bullet is in the case in the picture; if so, you have to pull the bullet first.

One thing I learned early on in reloading (from guys who had been doing it for years) is that you should always be prepared for something to screw up. Decappers break, cases get stuck, primers don't behave, and so on. Learning to deal with problems - and hopefully eliminating repeats - is all part of the fun.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I have a shelf that I line up mess ups like that to look at them in my future reloading endeavors. I don't mess with rounds like that after having a .223 shell blow up in my face on a dillon 650..

jcm

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A friend of mine blew a match stage with a round like that. Why it got to the firing line doesn't say much for his match preparation!

The old timers would say that you need to wear it around your neck for a couple of days so you won't do that again.

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, I'll say it. Throw it away. It is not worth the safety issues or time to fix it. The componants are not worth the time or effort to save.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    A friend of mine blew a match stage with a round like that. Why it got to the firing line doesn't say much for his match preparation!

The old timers would say that you need to wear it around your neck for a couple of days so you won't do that again.

Flash

I once did that with a one night stand never did that again

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I once did that with a one night stand never did that again.

At least not with the same woman, huh?

Flash

Getting back to the topic, I'd use a collet type bullet puller (or in a pinch a kinetic puller), dump the powder and deprime. The primer anvil is unsupported so the chance of it firing is slim. If it did go off, it wouldn't do any harm if your bench was free of powder and you had safety glasses on.

Flash

samloopy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    catarina
    had it happen on my .50 beowulf ammo once did like they say , pushed it out gently " after soaking in a glass of water overnight" no issues no harm no foul

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My Dillion Square Deal B press (set up for 45 ACP) does this when the plastic primer seat gizmo in the primer tube gets worn. You can resize the brass again "very gently" and get the primer out, but why take the chance. With the number of people at ranges that do not pick up their brass, just pick up an additional handful at your next visit to the range. I always come home with more brass than I shoot. I ask the people first before I pick up their brass. Most say they would like to get into reloading but haven't. This usually leads to us discussing the benefits of reloading.

Top Bottom