• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jecsd1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Texas
    Hey yall,
    I've been hitting the gun shows and pricing out a few .22lr rifles. I'm looking for something that is dead nuts reliable, accurate and simple. Because it's basically for plinking and keeping in the Oh S**t bag when I'm not using it, I was thinking that a simple action would be best (bolt or lever). I do dig the 10/22's but want to keep it as simple as possible. I also want something I can throw a simple scope on and be pretty accurate. I'm not very brand loyal but I do love anything that says "made in USA." Thanks for the input.
    Lynx Defense

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Man, there is a ton of stuff out there that fits your bill.....I would just comb the FS ads and jump when I see a good deal on one. Also check out the Black Friday ads.

Jecsd1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for the uick response. I like the idea of a tube magazine. Simple! Any manufacturers yall like? I don't know much about rimfires

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If you want simple, you can't beat the all-weather stainless steel/synthetic stocked Ruger M77/22 bolt-action rifle with ten-round rotary magazine, but it costs big bucks.

If you want a tube magazine, the Marlin Model 60 Carbine is very affordable (less than $200 most places), and is very accurate with the right ammo, but it is semi-auto.

If you don't want a semi-auto or high-end bolt, look at the Cricket (seriously).

For my money, I'd go with the Ruger 10-22. Accurate, reliable, and extra mags can now be bought cheap at most Wal-Marts.

Be well.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There are some down sides to a tube magazine, mostly that I could see losing the spring and follower assembly when you're carrying the rifle. Reloads force you to put your fingers out by the muzzle, which has always kind of bugged me. And reloading a totally empty rifle can be slow.

Just the same, I absolutely love my Marlin Model 60. Get a good set of rings and a decent scope and it's a killer with some decent ammo. It's been very reliable for me.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    There are some down sides to a tube magazine, mostly that I could see losing the spring and follower assembly when you're carrying the rifle. Reloads force you to put your fingers out by the muzzle, which has always kind of bugged me. And reloading a totally empty rifle can be slow.

Just the same, I absolutely love my Marlin Model 60. Get a good set of rings and a decent scope and it's a killer with some decent ammo. It's been very reliable for me.

+1 I really enjoy mine also, I just cant seem to get the cheapy scope to be accurate (Thats on me).

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would think the Ruger 10-22 is the best choice.

It's not all that complicated, and I have never heard of reliability being an issue with one, they are pretty simple guns. (Probably simpler than the lever guns to take apart and clean)

As stated before, it will take you years to be able to out shoot the accuracy that most guns have inherently built in, and that is one of them.

A few extra magazines makes loading a breeze and can be done a lot quicker than with a tube gun.

Not a fan of tube magazines, got a few, the one on my model 60 is troublesome to get latched properly, even with bare hands.

The options and accessories for the Ruger are second to none in the .22LR world.

A .22 is a good thing in your Oh S$#% bag, until you get something else. Learn on it and take advantage of what it can do for you as a shooter, but plan on getting a gun more suited for that purpose at a later date.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Look at the Henry Lever Action Model H001L. It is tube feed, action is smooth as butter, and will shoot short,long or long rifle. It is a little more than $200, BUT it is short, light weight, accurate and easily manuverable in the brush. Something to consider...

Can't fault a 10-22 either, I've several, the new 25 rd magizines work very well.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Hey yall,
    I've been hitting the gun shows and pricing out a few .22lr rifles. I'm looking for something that is dead nuts reliable, accurate and simple. Because it's basically for plinking and keeping in the Oh S**t bag when I'm not using it, I was thinking that a simple action would be best (bolt or lever). I do dig the 10/22's but want to keep it as simple as possible. I also want something I can throw a simple scope on and be pretty accurate. I'm not very brand loyal but I do love anything that says "made in USA." Thanks for the input.

Oh, hell, I might as well give you my patent response: Remington Nylon 66. My favorite gun and best gun ever, and incredibly accurate.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Look at the Henry Lever Action Model H001L. It is tube feed, action is smooth as butter, and will shoot short,long or long rifle. It is a little more than $200, BUT it is short, light weight, accurate and easily manuverable in the brush. Something to consider...

Can't fault a 10-22 either, I've several, the new 25 rd magizines work very well.

+1 on the Henry lever action. My son has the H001 and I have the Golden Boy also in the .22. Accurate, reliable and American made.....:patriot:

xstuntman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    west Texas
    I love my Marlin 60 too. Most accurate rifle I own and just good fun for bench rest shooting.
    The Marlin 795 is another good one and I saw the Black Friday ad at Academy for $85 with mail in rebate.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    I've got a Browning TDA, 10/22, a Model 60 SS and my son has a Henry H001T. Hands down, if I had to grab only one, it would be the mod 60. 10/22 mags can be a pain in the ass when they want to be. There are tons of aftermarket options for the 10/22, so it would be my second choice if I had plenty of spare mags. the Browning is the most accurate, but slower to load and much more complicated to clean. The Henry is a good rifle, but again, more difficult to detail clean. My Marlin has never has jammed if it's clean; simple to take down completely and is highly accurate. Easy to mount a scope on also.

BFThorp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I've been in the mood for a 22 bolt action project myself. I'm not a fan of tube feeders for several reasons; damaged tubes or lost / damaged guts. I'd like to see the CZ Scout in a folding or collapsable stock, or hell, even a synthetic from the factory, but it's not available. They come with a mag block /filler for single shot or you can buy spare mags. Looks like a nice action from what I've seen.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    for simplicity also consider the NEF series... no magazine, single shot crack barrel. Mount a simple scope or red dot.
    Breaks down to almost nothing in a pack...only moving parts are the trigger, hammer and extractor. Comes with a
    moderate contour barrel..not quite a bull but heaver than most sporters. A little work by a gunsmith and the trigger
    is decent for it's purposes. I had picked up a barely used one with scope for about $110 for use as a vermin repeller.
    Does well with cb longs. Being a youth model the stock is a bit shorter so all members can use it. Stock is synthetic
    so wear is not a big thing. Granted followup shots are not as quick but if SHTF you'll want every shot to count.

Otherwise look up a used remington 581-s...bolt action, 10 shot magazine...also under $200 but will also shoot shorts, longs and long rifles.
    With a scope most are pretty good shooters.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A bolt action would be the simplest with the least amount of parts to break. Next would be a semi auto. A lever action would actually be the most complicated of the three. There's also pump action .22s out there, but I think a semi auto is still less mechanically complicated.

Top Bottom