• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have no idea what it's hardened to, but my Gerber LMF II is a pretty damn tough knife and it's 1095. I've split more than a few seasoned oak logs for the fireplace... But that's a backpack knife (since it's our group's hatchet.)

What's the thickness?
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What's the thickness?

3/16" IIRC. I've never had it razor sharp, but it sure does hack through cactus and bounce off rocks like a boss.

Actually... that trip might be why I love that knife so much. We were lost and almost out of water near the Gila River in New Mexico and I had to clear a campsite and get some firewood around before it got dark. Hacking those little cactus down, I kept smashing the blade into the rocks on the ground, throwing sparks and all that cool crap. The knife never complained and even held the edge pretty well considering.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    SOG Team Leader? I have one although I haven't used it much. It's light, 5" blade, "looks" big but doesn't feel that way. It has a basic nylon sheath which is fine, but I want to make a kydex one for it. I bought mine at Bass Pro for $65 but looks like Amazon has them for ~$40

pic1.jpg

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    3/16" IIRC. I've never had it razor sharp, but it sure does hack through cactus and bounce off rocks like a boss.

Actually... that trip might be why I love that knife so much. We were lost and almost out of water near the Gila River in New Mexico and I had to clear a campsite and get some firewood around before it got dark. Hacking those little cactus down, I kept smashing the blade into the rocks on the ground, throwing sparks and all that cool crap. The knife never complained and even held the edge pretty well considering.
    Sounds good.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wow, I was wrong about that Mora. I'm sure I'd wind up breaking the blade out of the handle (that feels like the weak point), but damn that blade is good! I've had it for years, just left it sitting around after cleaning up the grind, but never used it. So I took it to work with me and used it for general work duties - cutting tie straps, cutting zip ties, cutting some fuel hose... Damn thing is still sharp enough to shave after three days' use.

Might have to re-think the Mora.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a bunch of knives... this one is one of my favorites.

"Sting" by CRKT

08StingVert.jpg

CRKT Sting Tactical Fixed Blade Sting Knives

"Say "A.G. Russell," and you have to immediately say "first," because this living legend was one of the inventors of the modern knife industry. But despite all his awards and achievements, A.G. is first of all a knifemaker. The CRKT production Sting™, complete with a custom Cordura®/Zytel® sheath, is a multipurpose one-piece utility knife that is just about indestructible.

Hot forging is the reason the Sting is so tough. It begins life as an ordinary blank of 1050 carbon steel, similar to the alloy used in traditional Samurai swords, which is first hot forged and then precision ground into final shape. We apply a black non-reflective powder coat finish to resist corrosion.

The spear point blade features two Razor-Sharp cutting edges. The integral handle is contoured to fit the bare or gloved hand nicely and provides heft and balance, with thumb detents for grip. A large lanyard hole is provided, allowing the use of a wrist lanyard, or carry as a neck knife.

Like A.G. Russell himself, the Sting is a tough character that has earned its respect."

You CAN get this knife with only one side sharpened, like mine is. This knife cost me less than $50 at the SAXET gun show a couple months ago and I got it professionally sharpened right after I purchased it. Holds an edge nicely and the sheath holds the blade snugly without requiring any kind of retaining straps.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a bunch of knives... this one is one of my favorites.

"Sting" by CRKT

08StingVert.jpg

CRKT Sting Tactical Fixed Blade Sting Knives

You CAN get this knife with only one side sharpened, like mine is. This knife cost me less than $50 at the SAXET gun show a couple months ago and I got it professionally sharpened right after I purchased it. Holds an edge nicely and the sheath holds the blade snugly without requiring any kind of retaining straps.

Amazon has it for $20.00 less....in stock

Amazon.com: Columbia River Knife and Tool 2020 AG Russell Sting Razor Sharp Edge Knife: Home Improvement

Ordered & on it's way!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! I wouldn't have anything more than my Glock 19 if it weren't for this forum and you crazies giving me ideas about things like Saiga 12 builds, 1911s, and more!

It must be something airborne... I just ordered a Spiderco Delica with the ZPD-189 steel blade this morning.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ltlavender
    Top Bottom