• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hello
    I'm looking for a fun 22lr plinker. Been researching and reading reviews.

I already have aruger 10/22 rifle and love it. I'm in the market for a pistol

Been thinking about the Beretta Neo or the Mosquito.

It seems the Neo has better reviews

Are the neos worth the 275 price tag for a fun plinker?
    Gun Zone Deals

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Prepare for the Ruger MKII/III and Browning buckmark suggestions. For $275 I would look at either of those before a Beretta Neos or Sig mosquito. Thats just my take though.

ETA: I have a friend with the Neos that I have shot quite a bit and it shoots fine and is reliable. No experience with the Mosquito personally.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I vote Ruger. I like the grip angle of the 22/45 over the other models.

Make sure you hold a Neos just in case you might order one. The grip angle is really odd.

I believe people have been issues with the Mosquito. I have no first hand experience with one though.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I really like my MarkIII...and my 'new' Browning Nomad (ca 1971) and SIG P229-22 and SIG P938-22 and 1950s H&R breaktop wheel gun.

BUT...I have the standard version of this...
    http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials-html/gsg-1911-22lr-target.html#.VoDR9VL4H5e

It's essentially a SIG clone(both are made by GSG, owned at least in part by SIG). Takes SIG mags and mods; but mainly it's a 1911 'feel'ing pistol, if that is of interest.

I also just received a Ruger Charger, so 'almost' a pistol version of your 10/22...dang range was too crowded to try it this weekend...Monday night is the plan!

All things considered, I'd go with the Ruger MarkII or III 22/45, although I had a NEOS and it ran great.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    *flame suit on*
    I know it is not the most popular but for a plinker I like my S&W 22A. I have run a variety of ammo including Fed Auto Match, CCI standard vel, CCI Stingers and Rem Golden Bullet without issue. It is also easy to field strip and reassemble. You are not likely to win any competitions and it is nowhere near as customizable as a Mk x but the lower price tag leaves more budget to feed it. It is also ready for a red dot or other optic if you need to give a young or new shooter a quick confidence boost. I have a PA Microdot on mine so it is ready as soon as my daughter shows me she can handle it.

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    I've owned a mosquito and I've shot a Neos. I do not now own a mosquito and I won't own a Neos. In the price range you're talking, a Ruger Mk or a Buckmark are really the best choices. Either/or. I own both.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The variants of Ruger Marks 1 & 2 are terrific. Don't overlook the Ruger SR22P pistol. I've run the crap out of mine and have nothing but positive comments about that pistol.

If you want a pistol to serve as a trainer for large caliber semi automatic pistols, the SR22P will serve that role much better than the other pistols mentioned.

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    GSG 1911-22!

020.jpg

(Note: The Sig Sauer 1911-22 is the same gun, just with their logo on it and a higher price!)

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Seconding the GSG 1911-22. Don't own one (yet - saving up slow but sure), but the two I've shot (standard and target models - only real difference I noticed were the grip panels) are simply awesome. I'm by no means a good pistol shot (I'm happy keeping everything inside the 7 ring at 5 yards with my .357), but I had a fairly easy time holding a sub-6" group at 15 yards running Federal AutoMatch and taking my time between shots with the target model (grips fit my hand a lot better than the standard, that was a huge factor). Fairly easy to field-strip for cleaning, and some models come with a selection of replacement sights from the factory (4-6 front blades in a little plastic bag, varying heights and styles, i.e fiber-optic or white dot).

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Two Browning Buckmarks, one each of the 10" bull barrel models
    Three Ruger MK III 22/45
    Five Ruger MK II

I've got a really soft spot in my heart for the Ruger MK II series.

The aftermarket support for the Ruger pistols is second to none.

91cavgt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    The Colony
    I own a Neos, 4 1/2" barrel and have for a few years now. It has had a total of around 2k rounds put through it with nothing but routine cleanings at the end of the day after when I go shoot it. The ergonomics are such that it does not tire you out or rub you wrong even after shooting hundreds of rounds none stop. Once I got it broke in the only times it has failed to fire or failed to eject has been due to bad ammo (I got a bad batch of high velocity Federal ammo that I bought from Gander Mountain about 3 years ago). It reliably eats any standard .22 ammo and is pretty accurate as well. It's biggest downfall are it's price and the futuristic Star Trek design.

If I were to buy it again I would, but I would probably buy the 6" barrel version, add a scope, and go play on the rifle range at 50-100 yards with it. But for your standard pistol range the standard 4 1/2" barrel is fine. I enjoy it and have used it to introduce 2 people to shooting.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    NEO:
    Advantages:
    *You can field strip literally by turning a knob.
    *Heavy barrel and good accuracy.
    *Magazine release good for lefties.
    *Top is already built for optics.

Disadvantages
    *Grip angle is love it or hate it.
    *Top sight has a tendency to jiggle loose.
    *Mine had a progressively worse failure to fire that trips to Beretta would not finish.
    *You may have the uncontrollable desire to put on a storm trooper costume and take ont he galaxy while making pew pew noises.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I shoot Steel challenge with a 22 on a fairly regular basis. I have yet to see a Mosquito that runs worth a dang. Neo's only slightly less. 22A's, I am not sure I have ever seen one make it through a mag without a failure. I owned one that I won at a fundraiser years ago. Glad I didn't pay for it cus it would not run more than 3 rounds without a failure.

Stick with a Ruger or Browning or an older Colt woodsman if you can find one.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ruger mkii
    Sure, reassembly can take a few minutes. Good thing it only needs tearing dowm every few thousand rounds.
    Ultimate "plinker".

Top Bottom