• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    So guys that kit even though its not the highest end kit would that put me in a good spot to start reloading? Obviously I need to get other supplies too but I think I feel confident on ordering that kit. Just like my other hobbies I always later down the road when I know more about it upgrading things but for a starter in loading Think I will be set up for success? Again I will be mainly loading 308. I plan on using match hornady hpbt 168 grain. My savage seems to love it, so does my trigger finger lol.
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    So guys that kit even though its not the highest end kit would that put me in a good spot to start reloading? Obviously I need to get other supplies too but I think I feel confident on ordering that kit. Just like my other hobbies I always later down the road when I know more about it upgrading things but for a starter in loading Think I will be set up for success? Again I will be mainly loading 308. I plan on using match hornady hpbt 168 grain. My savage seems to love it, so does my trigger finger lol.

Yes.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All kits seem to throw in a couple things that aren't of much use in order to beef up the list of included items.

Aside from the case lube, I'd say it's a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I like Hornady's LnL system but it needs an anti turn pin like Lee's system. I have had a die pop out of my Hornady progressive press because it turned loose.

Only thing I DON'T like about the LnL is that for each set of dies, you need a set of bushings. So it drives up costs a bit. You COULD just leave one bushing in there and use the Hornady die nuts as a stop to get real close. But if you're going to load several calibers, the convenience of the super quick changes is a plus. If you never plan on loading more than a couple calibers, I wouldn't go the bushing route.

And I like the Lee dies, but not the lock nuts they use. The one thing I love about Lee dies is that they sell complete sets. Several other makers make good dies, but you have to also add a crimp die as well as a shell holder (Lee includes one). Lot's of Lee sets include the crimp dies (many, but not all so you have to look). And I HATE the Lee die boxes. If you use LnL or the Lee quick change system, once you add the bushings, they won't fit in the box. They will in a Hornady or RCBS die box. And the Lee boxes are kind of a PITA to open and close. You can get the Hornady boxes at Cabelas, and Amazon sells the RCBS boxes. But I can buy a complete Lee set, then add a Hornady box and the bushings and still pay less than had I bought Hornady/RCBS and then have to add a shell holder and crimp die.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The main reason I started loading on a Classic Turret is because I never have to pull a die.

I always preferred a lock nut with a screw type lock ring on dies. The Lee system does work if you turn the die by the nut and not holding the die itself, at least on my .50 dies, but I really prefer the RCBS lock rings/nut. I like RCBS dies as well, but have been buying lee due to the complete set factor mentioned.

I have a set of hornady dies, but the design of the decapping pin and expander ball is weak compared to RCBS and lee. On the flip side, they will send you free replacement parts, as will Lee is you abuse something to the point of breaking. No experience with RCBS, but I would assume equally good CS.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I've been neck sizing for my 308 bolt gun. I don't know if it's better but it sure is easier and doesn't work the brass as much.
    You did get to the point of having to full length size though didn't you? About the 4th or 5th loading?

Did you notice any change of accuracy on that loading?

Essentially that is what I am getting at. Savage uses tight chambers so even FL sizing doesn't work the brass much.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've broken several RCBS de-capping pins. Always on 357 SIG brass for some reason.

I think I've broken 1 or 2 over a very long period. Haven't broken a lee yet. My issue with Hornady was in the expander ball. The threads seem to strip/break easily.

When I had the issue I found quite a few cases of it happening to others while googling replacement parts.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Man, I love my Hornady dies. Particularly the pistol ones. The bullet alignment feature on the seating die is fabulous. I love the threads on the sizing/de-priming die. I've been careless and put berden primed 9mm brass in there and instead of breaking the pin, it just shoves the central part up.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    You did get to the point of having to full length size though didn't you? About the 4th or 5th loading?

Did you notice any change of accuracy on that loading?

Essentially that is what I am getting at. Savage uses tight chambers so even FL sizing doesn't work the brass much.

I've had one that wouldn't chamber but I haven't been working the same brass. I am on 5 loads with this current batch, we'll see how it goes next time out. Maybe I'll load some full length sized brass also and test the accuracy.

I bought some once fired Win brass so I did buy a full length die to prep them.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    That is why I buy locally if I can. I am impatient.

I couldn't find it local at barnes and nobles and my local gun store's didn't seem to keep them in stock. I can be impatient as well but on this matter I am trying to do my best to make the right purchases for starting loading. It was so hard not to pull the trigger on the first press i found online. Thanks to this thread I was able to get good advice and now I just have to wait till closer to the end of the month to buy. I have 2 Rangers Yankees games to go to and I know that will be pricey beer is never cheap at games.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I couldn't find it local at barnes and nobles and my local gun store's didn't seem to keep them in stock. I can be impatient as well but on this matter I am trying to do my best to make the right purchases for starting loading. It was so hard not to pull the trigger on the first press i found online. Thanks to this thread I was able to get good advice and now I just have to wait till closer to the end of the month to buy. I have 2 Rangers Yankees games to go to and I know that will be pricey beer is never cheap at games.
    Sell the tickets and buy reloading stuff. Have we taught you nothing?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not to be a fear monger, but stock up on supplies this summer. Come fall the stuff you want will disappear.

I'd say have minimum 6 months worth on hand, then replace anything you shoot up.

If the election goes well the shelves will fill back up, if not you will be sitting on back order lists hoping for supplies, or paying 300% markup to the neckbeards.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Yea I am afraid of this happening. The tickets were a birthday present, but yea I know there is a chance of ammo next year being scarce and expensive.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Not to be a fear monger, but stock up on supplies this summer. Come fall the stuff you want will disappear.

I'd say have minimum 6 months worth on hand, then replace anything you shoot up.

If the election goes well the shelves will fill back up, if not you will be sitting on back order lists hoping for supplies, or paying 300% markup to the neckbeards.

Yep. Trying to stock up on powder and primers now. I've still yet to see so much as a pound of Unique on a shelf anywhere. Been looking for 6 months. I have some that will do, but I like Unique in 38/357.

Top Bottom