• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Curse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Houston tx
    Hopefully I won't be lynched for this...

Well, I'm aware of how I may legally go about purchasing a handgun so long as it isn't from a FFL, and have decided on a model. I almost have all the money saved up. However, I can't find one anywhere and I have no one who can gift one to me. This is my first time posting on a forum about firearms, and so far it seems pretty friendly.

The model I am looking for is a NIB Para ordnance 1911 GI Expert. I've fondled two and shot another and I really like it. This will be my first personal handgun.

Would it be out of line for one to ask another in the area to purchase one for me, and then Gift, or sell it to me? I am of course otherwise eligible.

On a slightly related note, I have an Intratec Tec-9 pre-ban model with threaded barrel, 2 hi cap mags, and hard case. It is in great condition and from what I'm told in a few years they will be a collector's range toy. What would one of these be worth?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
    Texas SOT

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Someone else buying the gun for you that is not immediate family would be considered a straw purchase by the ATF, and would not be recommended. Because it is a felony, you can be arrested on conspiracy charges for simply asking people to do so.

I have no idea on the Tec-9 ... most people kinda frown upon the Tec-9 as being a low-quality gangbanger gun, but you might have a niche market that would be interested in it.

The downside to buying a pistol is that you also are going to be underage to purchase ammo.

You might just have to wait it out. There are a ton of fun guns you can buy at 18+, have you considered any long guns?

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    someone correct me if Im wrong... ;)

which of the below is true. Im too lazy to look up the answer.
    a) A straw purchase by definition is buying a firearm for someone who cannot legally own a firearm.
    b) A straw purchase by definition is buying a firearm for someone who cannot legally buy a firearm.
    c) All the above.
    being over 18 can he OWN a pistol ? yes, I know he cannot BUY one. See the difference ?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    someone correct me if Im wrong... ;)

which of the below is true. Im too lazy to look up the answer.
    a) A straw purchase by definition is buying a firearm for someone who cannot legally own a firearm.
    b) A straw purchase by definition is buying a firearm for someone who cannot legally buy a firearm.
    c) All the above.
    being over 18 can he OWN a pistol ? yes, I know he cannot BUY one. See the difference ?

d) None of the above.

A straw purchase is when the actual buyer is not the one filling out the form.

ActualBuyer.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Consider that if you are involved in the illegal acquisition of a firearm, and convicted, it is a felony which means you could never legally own a firearm for the rest of your life. Waiting a few years may be painful, but it is much better than never being able to own one!

And Tec-9s are crap. Save your money and buy a real gun.

Cheers! M2

Curse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Houston tx
    Thank you for your replies and patience.

With regards to longguns, I already own a few, I just wanted a pistol for home defense because of the way my house is set up. Looks like I'll be waiting. I wouldn't want to mess up my criminal justice career choice.

On the tec 9, I have one already, I'm just looking to sell it, and maybe use the money for a shotgun.

So as I understand it, I cannot have someone purchase a gun for me, however if I ran across the same model somewhere say at a gun show, or from a private party interested in selling it, I would still be legally allowed to purchase it? Sorry if this sounds a bit thick-headed, but I just want to be absolutely sure about either just waiting or buying used/ privately so I don't get into trouble.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So as I understand it, I cannot have someone purchase a gun for me, however if I ran across the same model somewhere say at a gun show, or from a private party interested in selling it, I would still be legally allowed to purchase it? Sorry if this sounds a bit thick-headed, but I just want to be absolutely sure about either just waiting or buying used/ privately so I don't get into trouble.

So long as you purchase the gun from an individual at the gun show, not a dealer. Anyone who engages in commerce (making profit essentially) is required to have an FFL. Any FFL will require you to be 21 to purchase a handgun or pistol grip shotgun.

Curse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Houston tx
    I see, so it seems like owning a handgun under 21 is a bit of a loophole, and the law would most likely be subject to whatever interpretation the judge hearing a case on it has. That's a little bit too shaky for me considering my future. I think I can wait the year and a half to just buy one new myself and not worry about it.

Thanks again for lending me your experience.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    So long as you purchase the gun from an individual at the gun show, not a dealer. Anyone who engages in commerce (making profit essentially) is required to have an FFL. Any FFL will require you to be 21 to purchase a handgun or pistol grip shotgun.

What Texas1911 is saying is that it doesn't matter whether you are at a gun show or not. The laws are still the same. There is a higher likelyhood of an individual who is selling their personal gun that is the model you want at a gun show, but most of the guns avalable at a gun show are from dealers (at least the ones I've been at).

You can always try the paper and Texas gun trader, but you will have a hard time finding people to sell a handgun to a person under 21. It isn't illegal, but that doesn't mean they will sell to you. And you still have to find ammo. . . .

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I see, so it seems like owning a handgun under 21 is a bit of a loophole, and the law would most likely be subject to whatever interpretation the judge hearing a case on it has. That's a little bit too shaky for me considering my future. I think I can wait the year and a half to just buy one new myself and not worry about it.

Thanks again for lending me your experience.

It isn't a loop hole. Federal law requires Federally licensed firearm dealers (FFL's) to not sell handguns to persons under 21. Texas law requires that you have to be 18 to possess a handgun without permission (minors can possess handguns only with guardian permission).

No loophole. I'd agree that it is probably more hassle than its worth. I'd just wait the year and half. More than one range prevented 18-20 year olds from using their handguns range.

That being said, it is still your decision. You are an adult, and you shouldn't be afraid to follow the law.

EDIT: I'm not a lawyer, just a guy who likes guns.

Curse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Houston tx
    I'll probably still keep my eye out for one, but I doubt I'll go too far out of my way. I was also thinking of the new bushmaster ACR coming out soon. I know for sure I can have one of those. Anyone have an opinion on them?

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Look at it this way: if you already have the money for it, and you wait a year and a half to buy it when you're 21, then you'll have that much more time to save money and buy a better one or a ton of ammo for it...lol

Curse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Houston tx
    Fishing? I don't know if I understand that one. I was just looking for some info. Also, if I'm under 21 and own a handgun, can I SELL it to a FFL? Or trade it for credit on a long gun? I've scoured the Internet for that one and all I can find is on buying, not selling.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    most places wont take a handgun from an under 21 and up. you could try a hood rat pawnshop but most times they make sure youre 21 before they take it.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    It is not right to restrict adults under the age of 21.
    Alcohol or guns.
    If you can serve our country and are an adult (18+) then you should enjoy full rights of anyone else.

Curse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Houston tx
    It is not right to restrict adults under the age of 21.
    Alcohol or guns.
    If you can serve our country and are an adult (18+) then you should enjoy full rights of anyone else.

I agree with you completely, although I know quite a few people my age who aren't fit to own a gun. In an ideal world there should just be a safety test with a practical exam. Not for a license, just present the official scores and voilà take your pick.

And chubby, thanks for the info.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I agree with you completely, although I know quite a few people my age who aren't fit to own a gun. In an ideal world there should just be a safety test with a practical exam. Not for a license, just present the official scores and voilà take your pick.

And chubby, thanks for the info.
    A test / exam is the same as a license ~ how are you going to know otherwise? The 2A is good enough, IMO. If you act irresponsibly then you pay the consequences. If you act responsibly then enjoy the benefit of freedom and the 2A. Unless your friends are under age (18 IMO), are crazy or criminals then they all are fit.

Top Bottom