• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    I got the ICU part, gonna need some help with the rest, lol.
    My apologies but years of military & nursing (both civi & military) using acronyms is a habit.

SAMMC = San Antonio Military Medical Center
    BAMC = Brooke Army Medical Center
    Neuro Deficits = Brain fxn compromised
    R/T = Related to
    D/T = Due to
    MVC = Motor Vehicle Collision
    w/o = with out

Originally Posted by Soldiernurse
    Actually, when I worked in the ICU @ SAMMC, aka BAMC, a high percentage of patients with permanent Neuro Deficits were directly R/T head trauma D/T motorcycle MVC w/o wearing a helmet.

On a side note, I cringe when motorcyclist are wearing shorts, tank-top, and flip-flops. The human skin is not leather

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My apologies but years of military & nursing (both civi & military) using acronyms is a habit.

SAMMC = San Antonio Military Medical Center
    BAMC = Brooke Army Medical Center
    Neuro Deficits = Brain fxn compromised
    R/T = Related to
    D/T = Due to
    MVC = Motor Vehicle Collision
    w/o = with out

Originally Posted by Soldiernurse
    Actually, when I worked in the ICU @ SAMMC, aka BAMC, a high percentage of patients with permanent Neuro Deficits were directly R/T head trauma D/T motorcycle MVC w/o wearing a helmet.

On a side note, I cringe when motorcyclist are wearing shorts, tank-top, and flip-flops. The human skin is not leather

That's not surprising and not something I ever wish to experience.

But I won't stop someone else from putting themselves at higher risk for this experience.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I had a good idea of what neuro deficits were, the R/T, B/T jklmnop stuff was throwing me.

In better with BTT, lol, lmao, GTFO, etc.

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Do what you wish without helmet. :). I'll keep mine. It's my peace of mind. But I also risk my spine when I ride. 5 oclock carry on a sportbike. One get off moment which lands me on my back could be bad news.

I like the comment about skin not being leather. Seen some nasty rash to the bone. Wasn't even bleeding much. Like the friction carterized the meat. Yummy!

My priority is helmet, then gloves, then jacket. In that order.

I'm rambling... I'll go back to bed now. Ya I know, its early.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I like the comment about skin not being leather. Seen some nasty rash to the bone. Wasn't even bleeding much. Like the friction carterized the meat. Yummy!
    The worst part of that is not even the damage to the skin or the pain of it. If you get some gravel or asphalt embedded deep in your skin or in your bone you can get some really serious infections which can lead to losing limbs or even death. Think of all the nasty shit that is on the roadway...oils, trash, spit...just grinding into your tissue and bone. No thanks.

But, since head and feet/ankles are the most common serious motorcycle injuries my priority is helmet (always), boots, gloves, jacket, pants.

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    Helmet/ no helmet is riders choice.
    Live or not with your choice.
    There used to be an exemption sticker for not wearing a helmet. Show proof of additional $10K life insurance and ya get your exemption sticker. I'm not sure if this still exists as I have not had time to ride in about 3 years.
    Re: burden on the taxpayer or first responders? What burden?
    Not wearing a helmet is more "clean up" related after a crash. I have yet to hear of a crash where "if I had my helmet, I would not have crashed". First responders get paid if they make a call or not so its not so much a increase in pay/overtime pay issue. The first responders salaries are already paid from our taxes. The materials used by the first responders are already paid for by our taxes.
    I really see no difference between a MVA in a car, truck or motorcycle (helmet or not) as it relates to any added burden on society/first responders/taxpayers.
    Private insurances pay for the medical care. If the patient has no insurance, they get the bill (which by no means guarantees the medical providers will ever get paid for services).
    If the patient is sent to a county hospital (no insurance/indigent), that's where cost of medical care can have an effect on the level of burden on society. That being said, it's still no difference if the patient was brought in from a car, truck or motorcycle wreck.
    I would think that if the rider chose not to wear a helmet, the burden would be inherently less as there is a lower survivability rate for those that choose not to wear a lid. No helmet = lower survivability IF involved in an accident = no medical care expended/given as you are toast.
    Just my .02....
    Wear a helmet or not....your choice, not on me to choose for you.

Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    Ridden both ways. Only accident was without one, 18 wheeler ran over me on the freeway. broke both legs in two places ea., right hip, neck, and damn near scalped.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    helmet-cartoon.jpg

Dredge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Spring
    I had a leg ripped off and a helmet didn't help.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen. On/ around the pierce elevated at night. Headed home after work and there was some illegals pushing a car with no lights on. They get off with nothing....buddy has a BK prosthesis.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No one is talking about disallowing the activity. Let's stay on point. Since society has to clean you up and handle the aftermath of your actions, we get to have a little say in how you engage in that activity.

Sorry - disagree w/you totally on this. Folks go out and have kids that *I* pay for as a taxpayer "because they're poor", they get food stamps that they buy booze with in one way or another - the list goes on.

I fought for the helmet law to be repealed, and I stand by that. No qualms. The day I was leaving Judith Zafferini's office after they saw the handwriting on the wall and realized that we were going to finally succeed in getting it repealed, one of her staff members commented to me as I picked up my helmet and jacket "Well, I guess you're glad now that you finally won." "Ma'm?" I replied. "Well, with the repeal of the helmet law, you won't have to wear that helmet any more." "No, Ma'm," I replied - "I have ALWAYS worn a helmet, and will ALWAYS continue to do so!" With a puzzled look on her face, she said "Then why have you worked so hard to get it repealed??" "It's simple, ma'm - it should be MY choice - not yours, not the state's - MINE."

That's the long and short of it in my book. I would venture to say that I've got as many (or more) miles than most bike riders on this board. From 1996-2012 ('96 was the first time I could afford to buy bikes with no miles to start w/on the odometer and could better track it), I put in excess of 180,000 miles on 2 wheels. Prior to that, all I can say is "a bunch".<G> ALL those miles were with a helmet on - but if you want to ride without one, it's YOUR choice. Just don't whine about the consequences. I'll visit you in the hospital, I'll work to help you with medical expenses - just don't expect me to feel sorry for the consequences of your choices.

Yeah - I'm pretty "old school".

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    full time rider for four years (defined as no other mode of transportation) motorcycle "owner" for 48.. active in ABATE stuff in AZ.. which is a "choice" State.. it's the individuals call as TXRed said so elequiently stated..

i don't .. but see both sides of the issue.. and for those of you who see it as a simple "they work" thing.. you're wrong.. sorry, but ABATE has some very clear info that shows helmets will work in a "spear" impact accident.. bare head .. uh not so well... get past like 40 on the spear impact and you can forget it with or with out the helmet.. now here's the problem.. understand the physics of a "moment arm" .. matter of weight extended out on a horizontal plane.. the helmet ADD's to this toque, and actually reams of data showing this, and how it causes more serious neck issues..

You guys argue all you want.. i know that i've studied and read ALL there is on the issue.. and for some accidents a helmet is clearly the option, but for many others they increase neck injuries.. don't let emotions cloud the issue.. they are not the panacia for ridding a M/C in a safe manor..

what i've stated is fact.. know that nothing is safe on a scoot, except knowing that others are not going to see you.. you have to except that fact.. and ridding inside your skill level.. 35 years ago i was at the top of the ladder.. not ego, fact.. as i've aged and with back issues i'm more like a lame beginner..

do what you will.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I think you guys got punked. I've been watching the thread all night and sakes alive you boys have been stirred up.

It is my suspicion that the questions posed are not actually TxI's personal feelings on the matter or things he wants to see happen. (But perhaps they are, but I'll allow him to reveal that if he wants). Rather he posed an academic argument, just for the purpose of having a discussion. I guess I question how much of this fiery passion I see is for the topic or if it was because it was TxI that asked?

Anyway, I thought about jumping on this rollercoaster but there were too many working parts to hash out with the original question. I've been watching Breaking Bad marathon session on Netflix and my brain is exhausted.

Top Bottom