• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Welcome! I spent a fair bit of time traipsing Wyoming doing surveying many years ago. The Powell area was nice, Lusk was not.
    DK Firearms

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    orig.gif

Attachments

• orig.gif
      orig.gif
      5.6 KB · Views: 316

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    I don't know much about Wyoming... Drove up to Warren AFB once to visit a friend when I was living in Colorado Springs, and didn't like it. Couple years ago I stayed in Cody on the way back from Montana, and I really liked it.

I realize Cody is a bit of a touristy place... Where are some good places to visit to see the real Wyoming?

Sorry I missed your post previously. Yeah that area around Warren AFB, Cheyenne and Laramie is some of the most desolate country in the state. But the area does have some interesting history and the Medicine Bow-Route National Forest just to the west is pretty nice.

My family stayed in my cousin's cabin in the mountains North of Cody when we returned there in 2015 for a family reunion. That is outside of Yellowstone so very few tourists visit that area. The cabin is available for rent.
    I do prefer the areas I grew up in, the basin that stretches from Cody East to the Big Horns and Southwest to the Wind River range. My family homesteaded several farms/ranches in that area and I have many relatives still living on and working those homesteads.

I recommend those mountain ranges as great places to experience the real Wyoming, away from the heavily touristed areas. I can recommend lodges or campgrounds in those areas, depending on how you prefer to travel.

Last edited:

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    Welcome! I spent a fair bit of time traipsing Wyoming doing surveying many years ago. The Powell area was nice, Lusk was not.
    Interesting, I have a lot of relatives in the Cody, Powell, Lovell area. My first real job after high school was surveying, first in the uranium mines around Jeffery City, then later in Arizona and Colorado. Its a good job, exercises mind and body, but better job in the warmer climates LOL.

Wyoming all (or most) are welcome here in Texas. Make the most of it!
    The weather here is is a little more conducive to a retirement lifestyle.

I agree, I have considered spending some of my retirement years back in Wyoming, but its too darn cold. I may have to settle for being a snowbird, with summer visits.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Welcome!

Loved riding around Wyoming in the summer, but no way would I want to get caught there in the winter.
    We used to have a yard in Casper that I travelled to regularly. They’d start calling me in March or so every year asking when I could make it back. I never did go until at least mid May.
    They almost had me convinced to go early one year, but the morning I was leaving, their temp was -19° so I postponed that trip. No point in me going out to the field to troubleshoot a pumping unit if its too cold to get the engine started.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hello from Wyoming... actually I grew up in Wyoming (Big Horn Mountains) thru high school, but have lived in several other states and have lived in TX since 1977. I meant to introduce myself before posting here, but have already made one post, so I figured I had better get around to that introduction.

I grew up in Wyoming, hunting and fishing, where guns were almost second nature, almost everyone has one or several, many that were passed down from grandfathers and fathers to sons. Offspring were taught the proper safe use of guns by their parents and down at the local national guard range as part of growing up. We always had guns in the house, trucks, cars, etc. open carry was common especially around hunting season and no one thought twice about it. And I don't recall hearing about a single illegal use of a weapon by a local while growing up there. So I'm inclined to feel the current proliferation of gun laws is a bit strange and overly paranoid.

Clearly its the result of so many people being raised in cities these days where guns are far less common and the illegal use of a weapon is more of a problem.

I have not done any hunting or fishing while living in Texas but I'm retired now and have more time on my hands, I also have 4 long guns and a revolver that I inherited from grandpa and stepfather and a compact pistol that I purchased last year. I'm planning on refreshing my knowledge of safe gun handling with a course at a local range and possibly getting a CCL.

I saw a question about this above so I'm adding the following... I learned about this forum from a referral on City-Data and have been subscribed and lurking here on and off for over a year. I recognize at least one forum regular here from City-Data.

I consider this forum to be a good place to add to my knowledge about firearms and firearm safety.

CptnRn,

WELCOME ABOARD. = You've found THE gun forum for Texicans & it's "a good un".

yours, satx

CptnRn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Wyoming
    We used to have a yard in Casper that I travelled to regularly. They’d start calling me in March or so every year asking when I could make it back. I never did go until at least mid May.
    They almost had me convinced to go early one year, but the morning I was leaving, their temp was -19° so I postponed that trip. No point in me going out to the field to troubleshoot a pumping unit if its too cold to get the engine started.

Good decision! My father was an electrician, had to work often with his hands bare, as the finger dexterity required prevents one from wearing gloves. Shortly after I graduated high school, he had enough and moved to Arizona and never regretted it.
    Growing up in Wyoming I don't remember thinking it was all that cold as a kid. But no way I'd want to go back to that now.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom