He “fumbled around,” pulled out his Taurus 1911 .45 ACP pistol and fired four to five shots at the bear before the gun jammed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Buffalo bore does make these,
    Better than nothing.

Personally, I would want a 44 mag or more.

Stopping a charging pissed off grizzly is no small matter .

Do you really think those two would buy that ammo?
    I'd bet the ammo was some other low end stuff.
    A .45 auto is a very poor choice for a "bear bullet".
    Anyone who takes a friggin Taurus 1911 on a bear hunt shows rocket surgeon potential. And you just know they test fired those expensive rounds eleventyhunnert times to check function.
    Hey! Them shells cost money!

Long ago I knew a guy who had served on Kodiak Island way back there just after WW2. He told a story about a brown bear that came on them and it took eleven shots from an M1 Garand to kill it.
    A .45acp would just piss a bear off.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Anyone who takes a friggin Taurus 1911 on a bear hunt shows rocket surgeon potential. And you just know they test fired those expensive rounds eleventyhunnert times to check function.

Long ago I knew a guy who had served on Kodiak Island way back there just after WW2. He told a story about a brown bear that came on them and it took eleven shots from an M1 Garand to kill it.
    But some folks say a .22 LR is great for killing bear. It's all about shot placement. :rolleyes:

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area

Wait. It just dawned on me. You don't think they meant...

No... No, they couldn't have meant...

0152850_bear-ammo-45acp-230-grain-full-metal-jacket-500-round-case.jpeg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Years ago, a friend and I visited a gun range south of Houston. My friend is deathly afraid of snakes, and they had a fake rattlesnake wired up behind a counter. The salesman told Ronnie to look behind the counter and when he did, he pushed a button where he was standing that made the snake rattle. Ronnie knocked over 3 displays when he jumped back. Anyway, the place also had a huge stuffed bear. It was alleged to have been at one time the record New Mexico brown bear. The owner of the store and some friends were hunting in the mountains in New Mexico when this bear came into the camp one night and attacked them. The owner shot the bear 6 times at close range with a .44 magnum, reloaded the revolver, and fired 5 more times before the bear finally fell dead. They said the bear would go down each time it was shot and then shake it off and come after the shooter. The whole thing happened many years ago. Today, they would probably ended up in jail for violating the bear's rights.

Back in my pipeline days, we had a foreman at our Cleveland Texas plant that was a big hunter. He was hunting sheep or goats in the mountains (in Utah, I think) when a bear crossed his path. He shot and killed it with a bow and arrow. Given how hard it was to kill one with a .44 magnum, I was amazed that he even took the shot. He said the bear didn't even seem to know it was hit and kept walking until he died. He then told me it was the biggest mistake he ever made hunting. I asked if it was because of the danger and he replied that it was because the bear pelt weighed so much. He had to stop many times coming down the mountain with it. (He was a very big dude, so for him to be overwhelmed took a lot.)

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    #1, 1911
    #2, .45acp
    #3, Taurus

This guy wanted to be absolutely sure his gun would fail at the worst moment possible.

From step one to three, he could have easily made a different choice that would've worked in his favor. But he didn't. God bless him.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Let me guess? Uses the cheapest crap ammo he can find.
    Bubba's Unknown Sweetest gunshow stapled baggie reloads to the rescue.
    In grizzly country with weak ass ammo.
    Smart move there Cletus and Scooter.

Good thing he didn’t have a squib…

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mosingirl
    Top Bottom