He “fumbled around,” pulled out his Taurus 1911 .45 ACP pistol and fired four to five shots at the bear before the gun jammed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    TWENTY-FOUR ROUNDS! It took 24 rounds to drop that thing!
    (Makes mental note to stay the hell out of bear country!)

Eli
    No kidding.
    You see those things on the wildlife shows for years, then you get up close to one and HORY CLAP, they're big!
    WSU up in WA had a rehab program and you could go see them in the cages. Their paws are bigger than dinner plates. Huge claws. And when they look at you, it's like those cartoons, where they see a smoking turkey or ham or something. They were actually pretty playful when they weren't eating you.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    TWENTY-FOUR ROUNDS! It took 24 rounds to drop that thing!
    (Makes mental note to stay the hell out of bear country!)

Eli

The guy that got mauled had a Springfield 10mm and put one round in the bear's side and three more "in the face and shoulder region" before the grizzly got hold of him. His buddy was using a Taurus 1911 in .45 ACP. He "fired four to five shots at the bear before the gun jammed." At least it sounds like he knew how to clear the stoppage quickly. So 20 of the 24 rounds were .45 ACP; at least two reloads unless he was using 10-round mags.

Nary a single shot in .30 SC was fired, so maybe that was the problem right there. :laughing:

Something else telling in the article is this: "Another bear or some animal had torn one of its ears off. That was the ear that was facing up the hill, and so it didn’t hear us coming down until we were on the side that had the good ear, and that’s when it got up and come at us." The bear had been surprised while it was burrowing in a day bed.

Doesn't seem like the boys did anything wrong...other than being there in the first place. Seems like it was an apex predator with a hearing impairment. Startling a 530-pound mature grizzly from a few dozen feet away is not gonna make for a pleasant day...

The Barrett M107A1. Never leave home without it.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    No kidding.
    You see those things on the wildlife shows for years, then you get up close to one and HORY CLAP, they're big!
    WSU up in WA had a rehab program and you could go see them in the cages. Their paws are bigger than dinner plates. Huge claws. And when they look at you, it's like those cartoons, where they see a smoking turkey or ham or something. They were actually pretty playful when they weren't eating you.

Did you spend any time at WSU?

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Did you spend any time at WSU?
    I never attended. My mom is a graduate and one of my daughters went there. So I was on campus quite a few times. Caught a few games with my son in law. Another daughter spent a few semesters at U of I (famous murder trial) in Moscow, ID. She moved back and is living there now.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Let me guess? Uses the cheapest crap ammo he can find.
    Bubba's Unknown Sweetest gunshow stapled baggie reloads to the rescue.
    In grizzly country with weak ass ammo.
    Smart move there Cletus and Scooter.

Don't really know what this means from the article: "In total, the hunters shot 24 bear bullets at the grizzly to bring it down." Don't know if that means they were carrying something like an HSM "Bear Load," or one of the Buffalo Bore offerings like their "Heavy 10mm Outdoorsman"...which I guess would be my choice if it was a semi-auto handgun vs. grizzly. I'd still prefer the Barrett...

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    I never attended. My mom is a graduate and one of my daughters went there. So I was on campus quite a few times. Caught a few games with my son in law. Another daughter spent a few semesters at U of I (famous murder trial) in Moscow, ID. She moved back and is living there now.

If I tell folks I've been to Moscow more times that I can count, I get funny looks. Long story, but when time for college came along I had no state residency for in-state tuition. Like most kids, I wanted to get far away from home, and the best veterinary schools in the nation at that time were Texas A&M and WSU. I chose WSU. Stayed two years before fleeing back to Texas. Those winters east of the Cascades can get brutal. Never became a veterinarian, either.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    If I tell folks I've been to Moscow more times that I can count, I get funny looks. Long story, but when time for college came along I had no state residency for in-state tuition. Like most kids, I wanted to get far away from home, and the best veterinary schools in the nation at that time were Texas A&M and WSU. I chose WSU. Stayed two years before fleeing back to Texas. Those winters east of the Cascades can get brutal. Never became a veterinarian, either.
    Heh. This Texas boy did 33 winters in eastern WA. Yes, they can be brutal. The year that did it for me was when I had to get up on the ROOF to shovel it off. We had a two-story house, so at first I was being careful not to slip off the edge. After a few minutes, I had so much snow piled up down there, I was no longer worried about falling off.
    That winter, I could barely get out of our neighborhood in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Only a neighbor with a Bobcat kept the street passable. I gladly ran out with some fuel money for him.
    I left all the snow shovels in WA when we moved back and will never own one again!

PS - when I was at A&M it was a three-year wait to get into the vet school. It told me that it must be pretty good.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Let me guess? Uses the cheapest crap ammo he can find.
    Bubba's Unknown Sweetest gunshow stapled baggie reloads to the rescue.
    In grizzly country with weak ass ammo.
    Smart move there Cletus and Scooter.
    No, they said in the video said they had bear ammo .

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    As a young kid helping my dad manage his acreage property in Mendocino County California I will always remember his advice when dealing with bears. " Hijo", When coming here to this property only carry the Desert Eagle 44 or my trusted 300 Weatherby Rifle". I later found out he killed 4 black bears with his 300 Weatherby and two with his Desert Eagle over the years of him owning it before it was transferred to my mom. Since then I took out a total of five bears using my Remington 870 12 Gauge with sabot slugs. Despite being black bears they were still big and dangerous.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    They don't make "bear ammo" in .45aarp.
    Buffalo bore does make these,
    Better than nothing.

Personally, I would want a 44 mag or more.

Stopping a charging pissed off grizzly is no small matter .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom