• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picasso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Trophy Club
    I believe the bold section of your post is where we disagree.

It is getting extremely frustrating to me the number of people who are willing to accept what the government says as if we were at its will, at local, state, and federal levels.

I see any government official as my employee. Just as I have a boss who expects me to get my work do e even if it means 30 hr days and I expect the same of my employees. And we do work those hours. If my employees can't handle that they have the option of alternative means of employment, just as I do. I don't see it being any different for those working at the capital.

You've got it wrong.

They don't server at your leisure they serve the state of Texas and for those that voted them in. You didn't vote for every single person up in Austin.

I forgot the stats but gun bills are a VERY small percentage of the bills that come up when the Senate is in session. The state politicians sponsor other bills and have things that there other constituents want passed. Telling them what to do like they are your employee and being rude as I've heard some have been doing via phone calls, emails etc.. is not the way to get things passed. It's only going to piss them off and they will bring the bills out of committee too late for the calendar committee or not at all. This is what happened last session and it will continue to happen as long as people act in this way.

At any rate I believe most pro gun bills this session will be dead in the water. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You can find my FB post. It was not rude in any way.

I did not vote for everyone of them but each one of them was voted in and those who did vote for them are the ones they work for and the ones who can replace them.

picasso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    Trophy Club
    You can find my FB post. It was not rude in any way.

I did not vote for everyone of them but each one of them was voted in and those who did vote for them are the ones they work for and the ones who can replace them.

I wasn't saying you were rude but I get from your postings that you have the "you work for me attitude" which in and of itself is true but you won't get much done in Austin talking to them that way is all I'm saying. From what I have heard some have acted in that way.

OC or campus carry didn't get passed last session either and the same people are still in control. It feels like we are in a big group of believers when on a gun forum but truth be told we are a minority even among CHL holders and gun owners in general. The general public including CHL holders and most gun owners in Texas are apathetic. They could care less unless it affects them directly. In fact that's the way most of the US is.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wasn't saying you were rude but I get from your postings that you have the "you work for me attitude" which in and of itself is true but you won't get much done in Austin talking to them that way is all I'm saying. From what I have heard some have acted in that way.

OC or campus carry didn't get passed last session either and the same people are still in control. It feels like we are in a big group of believers when on a gun forum but truth be told we are a minority even among CHL holders and gun owners in general. The general public including CHL holders and most gun owners in Texas are apathetic. They could care less unless it affects them directly. In fact that's the way most of the US is.

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

I do not try to use my vote to sway someone who does not "work" for me(someone not on my ballot),

However I see no reason not to let someone who does represent me know that their actions, or lack of, could cost my vote at the next election.

Not saying that is my first message to send them but if picket were on my ballot I would have, as politely as possible, let him know that not getting this and a couple other bills to a vote would cost him my vote in the next election.

TheRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    When you read some of the posts, you might change your mind. Too many people let their ignorance show on FB for example. It's hard to take someone serious when they're making assertions and accusations that show just how little the person knows, about the bills and the process. If people are serious, they'll make the effort to be productive in their communication.

Once again, I agree but...ignorance gets to vote too and every post represents a vote in the eyes of a politician. Unfortunately there are people who don't practice civility when communicating with their representatives. I still believe that the pressure is on ignorant or civil.

TheRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    JK, I don't see any of the comments you posted as "examples" as rude, either. They're politicians - they get LOTS worse than that.

This ^^^^^

If those are the examples you want to go with then I don't see your point. It looks just like the words everyday people would say if given the chance of face-to-face with representatives they are not very happy with. Nobody said that being a politician was going to lead to respect. Nobody said being a politician was going to be easy. Joe Pickett ran for office knowing it was a dirty job but he felt that he was the man for it. Let's see.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Sorry to break up the drama, but if I read right from another thread, Campus Carry made it out of Pickett's committee. I would assume that means he had to bring it up for a vote. So, would it be a reasonable next move to send him a note thanking him for bringing it up for a vote (despite opposing the bill) and ask him to do the same for Open carry.

I'm pretty sure this makes sense, but I am not a guru on committee politics and stuff.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Actually I would have to totally disagree. Anyone who is in a position such as Speaker of the House or committee chairman do work for all of us in addition to their constituents. They are our dang employees. We pay their salaries with our taxes.

You've got it wrong.

They don't server at your leisure they serve the state of Texas and for those that voted them in. You didn't vote for every single person up in Austin.

I forgot the stats but gun bills are a VERY small percentage of the bills that come up when the Senate is in session. The state politicians sponsor other bills and have things that there other constituents want passed. Telling them what to do like they are your employee and being rude as I've heard some have been doing via phone calls, emails etc.. is not the way to get things passed. It's only going to piss them off and they will bring the bills out of committee too late for the calendar committee or not at all. This is what happened last session and it will continue to happen as long as people act in this way.

At any rate I believe most pro gun bills this session will be dead in the water. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Sorry to break up the drama, but if I read right from another thread, Campus Carry made it out of Pickett's committee. I would assume that means he had to bring it up for a vote. So, would it be a reasonable next move to send him a note thanking him for bringing it up for a vote (despite opposing the bill) and ask him to do the same for Open carry.

I'm pretty sure this makes sense, but I am not a guru on committee politics and stuff.

I can agree with a thanks to him. I want to check up on it and verify for myself, then I will. Good call by the way.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I have posted the thanks, please do same for HB700. I'm not the first. Hopefully others will do the same.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station

He still opposed the bill, he was the only one to vote against it in the vote. But i am happy he got it out of committee, now we just need to stay on him to get the others out.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    He still opposed the bill, he was the only one to vote against it in the vote. But i am happy he got it out of committee, now we just need to stay on him to get the others out.

Agreed. I think it actually speaks positively of him to not use his committee chairmanship (if that's a word) to stop a bill. He had to know they would pass it if he allowed it to get voted on.

Hopefully, he'll do the same with the open carry bill.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Agreed. I think it actually speaks positively of him to not use his committee chairmanship (if that's a word) to stop a bill. He had to know they would pass it if he allowed it to get voted on.

Hopefully, he'll do the same with the open carry bill.

I think it was more pressure on him to get it out there than anything else, but like i said earlier im happy he did and now he just needs to follow suit on the others.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    He's got people riding him, public, and he knows we are watching to get this stuff through. If it's ready to go, put it up and let's go!

Top Bottom