• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Why is this important? Criminals don't really care about signs or laws for that matter. Are we looking to hit the murderer with a 'bringing a gun into a posted 30.06/.07 zone' charge?

Some people are mistakenly blaming Walmart for being a “gun free zone” and preventing the victims from legally defending themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    We know the shooter cased the place

We will not “know” that till they release a timeline and show video of him in the Walmart “casing” the place.

Would also like to know if he “cased” any other places before he chose Wal-Mart. Again we need a timeline.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Kinda bizarre he drove 10 hours. He could have gone to the Plano/Allen/McKinney Day worker center 10 minutes from his home.

That’s for damn sure. Talk about a target rich environment...

Knowing PPD and the biz in that neighborhood, his ass would have been smoked pronto.

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    During my LTC class, they told the story of how LTC became a thing under Governor Bush; she left her gun in the truck because she didn't have a licence to carry and many people died at that diner. Sorry to use a tragedy, but maybe that's what is needed for constitutional carry, or further relaxing of LTC laws. $100 plus a day long class could easily be dropped to half a day and $20.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    During my LTC class, they told the story of how LTC became a thing under Governor Bush; she left her gun in the truck because she didn't have a licence to carry and many people died at that diner. Sorry to use a tragedy, but maybe that's what is needed for constitutional carry, or further relaxing of LTC laws. $100 plus a day long class could easily be dropped to half a day and $20.
    Why pay for something that is a right? Who’s going to teach for 4 hours for twenty dollars?

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    They already dropped it to 4 hours and $40
    $50 for the mandatory class, $40 application fee, DPS charged a $2.95 online app fee, $10 fingerprinting. I took the course at riflegear which does not currently have a range. Got to a local gunclub to do the shooting at 8am, I didn't leave riflegear until 4pm. Travel time from the range to class room included a 30 minute break, 4 15 minute breaks throughout the day.

Why pay for something that is a right? Who’s going to teach for 4 hours for twenty dollars?
    I agree, constitutional carry should be a thing. I assume death of legislature through 1000 scissor cuts since a repeal of asinine laws don't happen overnight. Drop it down to just pistol range qualification of 50 or 100 rounds. That would take a group less than an hour.

Bobk

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Seguin
    All BS aside there may be some liability issues and that's why people charge so much for the classes.

If I had the time, approved lesson plan, and authority from the state to teach LTC classes I would probably teach for free.

It would be a chance to teach people about the proper use of firearms and hopefully change some thoughts. Perhaps win some hearts and minds.

It doesn't matter if there is only one or a hundred. It goes back to a money making revenue for the state.

How much money would the state lose if they did away with licensing and went to Constitutional Carry?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I wouldnt do that job. I've seen ccw instructors who wear body armor to quals. Lol. This one group came thru, 4 friends, each with a brand new M9 and each with the cheapest shoulder rig money can buy. I left as I couldn't bear to watch every time they drew or holstered they pointed their weapons at a half dozen folks on line and everyone behind them. Thank God for DA first trigger pull.

I've seen law Enforcement quals not much better. I hated having to allow people to run thru 2 and 3 times till they barely pass. These people would be covering you with rifles or shooting in close proximity. I think back now and get a shiver.

I did have an award for the worst performer. I would take one of the flash bangs that were expended put the spoon back on it and when the class was cleaning guns walk up and act like I couldnt get the pin back in it and ask for help and drop it in their lap. Some of those folks walked so slow they might rust in place in the rain but drop a flash bang in their lap and they become super hero fast.

Everyone laughed they changed their shorts and I say do better next time. It only lasted a year or so till word got around. It's not that funny when you think we weren't really allowed to fail people. Even sending them back thru use of force and firearms training sucked cause then they couldnt work full duty and people got pissed.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I had the time, approved lesson plan, and authority from the state to teach LTC classes I would probably teach for free.
    That's a great attitude. However, this:
    It would be a chance to teach people about the proper use of firearms and hopefully change some thoughts.
    ...is not part of the state-mandated curriculum.

From what I've gathered, instructors who have tried to offer "LTC+" classes where they also cover, hands-on, basic topics on proper use of firearms get no takers. People that want an LTC class want only the bare minimum. People that want real training, even of the most basic sort, sign up for different classes.

If you want to teach basics and change thoughts, you just need a plan to get yourself and your students onto a range. An NRA Basic Pistol Instructor cert would be nice, too. But you should probably forget about the LTC instruction piece of the puzzle.

Any instructors here want to comment on how well you've done offering LTC courses with extras? I'd be interested to hear.

Top Bottom