Have you personally stopped a crime by being armed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yep.
    Caught 2 juvenile delinquents breaking into my truck at 4am long ago and blazed out the back door with my 5 inch 357 and jacked them up till the cops got there.
    Got a tad rough with the older one who was mouthy by smacking him a little

He mentioned it to the cop putting on the cuffs and the cops told him to shut up..lol

It was a different time ..before Texas had CHL..

It worked out fine for all parties

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Shortly after moving to Memphis in 1985, early one morning while stopped at a traffic light, the driver of another vehicle got out of his car and approached me with a baseball bat. As I drew my .357 I asked why he came to gunfight with a baseball bat. He promptly returned to his vehicle and drove away.

Last edited:

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    Midday in Mid-May 1978 during the week. I was at my parents home when teenage delinquents decided burglary was a pretty good idea. They were walking down the alley, looking into all the backyards. “It just didn’t look right” to me as I watched them from a window. Then I watched as they entered backyard. Now it was game on!

Dad called to the cops, I grabbed my grandfathers Rem. Model 11 1905 Automatic shotgun with the full-choke long goose gun barrel, and quietly went out the garage to avoid detection, circling around into the large backyard behind them.

Standing at the glass sliding door, one had a screwdriver, the other hadn't a clue. Instead of being the lookout, he was watching his friend and never saw me coming.

I later found out that in those few seconds they were close to having the door open.

Then the spoiler arrives. I stood just inside the gate blocking their exit, announcing myself loudly. Both looked shocked seeing an adult with a shotgun blocking their only exit (6’ solid fences), about 50’ away. They walked towards me leaving the screwdriver in the doorjam. Both claimed they were looking for their friend “John", simultaneously saying multiple times "Is this where John lives?". I asked “John who?” They couldn’t agree on John’s last name.

I leveled the gun at them and released the slide to make a very clear, audible and unmistakable “You’re in deep shit” sound, telling them to STOP!!! One stopped in his tracks with his hands up. The dumber little shit of the two continued to approach and placed his hand on the muzzle. Bad move. I used a swinging circular motion to clear the muzzle from the little genius' hand, (while quickly considered bashing his head or poking him in the eye with it, or … would I actually pull the trigger and get splatter on my T-shirt?).
    (Yea I really did think about explaining to my Mom how I got blood and guts on my T-shirt for a millisecond- that's kinda weird in retrospect)

In that literal split second, I decided and took action. Magically in that defensive / offensive sweeping motion of the gun, the muzzle ended up painfully and exactly on top of the littler shit‘s nose, with me yelling “ON THE GROUND NOW!!!!”. The kid froze put both hands down. (I think he peed himself). I pushed the Remi a little harder into his nose, quickly looked to his friend and said “Tell your friend goodbye, he’s about to die.” The friend said “Hey (whatever the little shits name was) get down he’s serious”. Probably thought I was crazy. And he got on the ground, spread eagle and wondering why he skipped class that day. I made them slowly crawl to the front yard so the police could more easily find us. One told the other they should run. Brilliant idea. I told them I’d shoot both if either got off their belly. In the slowest orchestrated crawl you’ve ever seen, both complied.

We waited for the Dallas police. Seemed like more than 30 minutes, but in the report it was only 25. That period that must have seemed like an eternity to those two.

As the police pull up, I lower the gun and lean it against the fence and keep my hands in clear sight. 1 undercover and 2 uniforms showed up at the same time. The one with the sore nose tells the cop “hey arrest him, he was going to shoot me”. The officer smiled big, then tried hard to suppress his chuckle but couldn't, then told both boys “you know he could have legally killed both of you”. They handcuffed them and put them in car.

The officer and I exchanged information, where he told me I should have waited a few more seconds and let them get in the house, then ’there were more options’. The detective later told me they had them for attempted burglary, but if they had actually opened the door and gone in, there were several felonies involved. She seemed disappointed I didn’t give them a few more seconds.

In retrospect, I really didn’t really want to chase kids through a house, and glad I didn’t have to pull the trigger for real. And I’m glad I didn’t give them more time to rack up charges.

Turns out they were both stupid teenagers cutting class, probably hoping to score some $$$’s, who I hope both of had enough excrement scared out of them to clean up their act for life. I’ve often wondered What happened to them. I hoped they turned out well.

I do know a little how they felt. I went to work ~2AM one night to open the building for the police when the security vault alarm went off.
    What I didn’t know was the local SWAT had also been called and somehow got in the back door and was searching the building befo I arrived. I go in the front and on opening the door have a 12 ga shotgun in my face. I still swear the barrel was 4” diameter.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Neva and it's a good thing I hate stupid people.
    For both parties is the reason I no longer carry.
    My cop friends have asked numerous times how I have I stayed so calm?

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    Yep.
    Caught 2 juvenile delinquents breaking into my truck at 4am long ago and blazed out the back door with my 5 inch 357 and jacked them up till the cops got there.
    Got a tad rough with the older one who was mouthy by smacking him a little

He mentioned it to the cop putting on the cuffs and the cops told him to shut up..lol

It was a different time ..before Texas had CHL..

It worked out fine for all parties
    What woke you up to get out there at 4am?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've come close twice.

Once when I stopped for donuts with my younger son (Pickles) and my daughter, who was a toddler then. This kid in an oversized basketball jersey with the who looked every inch the gangster wanna-be rapper approached me, claimed the car at the gas pump at the convenience store at the other end of the strip center was his and he needed "just a little money" to put gas in his tank, his kids were in the car waiting, he was an elder at his church, and he was on his way to visit his elderly mother who was in poor health...oh, and some guy had even called him the n-word that morning.

While he's unloading this dumpster of bullshit, he keeps edging closer to me. I told my son to buckle his sister into her car seat and wait for me in the car, while shifting the donut boxes to my left hand and sliding my hand into my right pocket - and around the grip of my pistol. "I can't help you," I tell the guy, and he tries to edge closer and show me his driver's license for some reason.

"I can't help you," I repeat to him. I'm expecting him to draw a knife or something out of his too-large and hanging-around-his-hips shorts. The car that supposedly has his children in it has left. I'm ready to throw the donut boxes in his face, draw, and shoot. He cranks his spiel up to eleven. "You need to step back," I order him. "I can't help you."

He finally catches a fucking clue and walks away - around the other end of the building from the direction he came. I get in the car and drive home, just in time to see him walk out to the dumpster enclosure behind the building, pull a Mountain Dew out of his backpack that was hidden there, and take a long drink.

The second time?

Pickles was driving home from work one night and the usual Kaufman County bubba was doing 40mph in front of him in his pickup. Pickles got to a passing zone and passed, and suddenly Angry Bubba is following him with his high-beams on six inches off his bumper at 65mph. Pickles called me when Bubba followed him into the neighborhood. I grabbed my Remington 870, loaded it with .00 buck, and stepped out on the porch right as Pickles parked in the driveway...and Bubba pulled into a neighbor's driveway to turn around and leave.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What woke you up to get out there at 4am?
    Ok..long story but here it is
    I had only been married a couple years and we were in a duplex where the 2 car rear parking was in the back and our bedroom was against that exterior wall
    I had a 17 ft bass boat parked under there and one vehicle
    The other vehicle we parked behind the boat

There was a major street one block away and they just built a Sonic
    Immediately after that the bullshit pretty crime started up.

Cruising looking for unlocked cars to go through..unlocked shed doors...
    3 weeks before the dumbasses cut the strap on my trolling motor thinking they could steal it not knowing it was bolted down

That pissed me off so I went to radio shack and got a motion sensor and a few basic parts and built a simple alarm that was a small beeping alert in a box the size of your fist.
    It sat on the table by my bedside

I'd had a few false alarms due to stray cats jumping up on the boat so I was a little disappointed

Then one Monday morning at 4am..1 week before Christmas it went off and jumped up and peeked outside and saw these 2 sumbitches looking under the boat cover and then one jumped up in the bed of my F150 and was trying to get into the rear sliding window

My heart was pumping and I was pissed off when I threw that back door open and started cussing them and yelling
    It truly shocked the shit out of them

It was a rush

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    Ok..long story but here it is
    I had only been married a couple years and we were in a duplex where the 2 car rear parking was in the back and our bedroom was against that exterior wall
    I had a 17 ft bass boat parked under there and one vehicle
    The other vehicle we parked behind the boat

There was a major street one block away and they just built a Sonic
    Immediately after that the bullshit pretty crime started up.

Cruising looking for unlocked cars to go through..unlocked shed doors...
    3 weeks before the dumbasses cut the strap on my trolling motor thinking they could steal it not knowing it was bolted down

That pissed me off so I went to radio shack and got a motion sensor and a few basic parts and built a simple alarm that was a small beeping alert in a box the size of your fist.
    It sat on the table by my bedside

I'd had a few false alarms due to stray cats jumping up on the boat so I was a little disappointed

Then one Monday morning at 4am..1 week before Christmas it went off and jumped up and peeked outside and saw these 2 sumbitches looking under the boat cover and then one jumped up in the bed of my F150 and was trying to get into the rear sliding window

My heart was pumping and I was pissed off when I threw that back door open and started cussing them and yelling
    It truly shocked the shit out of them

It was a rush
    rat-shack? that was indeed a long time ago!

I've been in my house for 28+ years now, watching how my part of northwest Austin has slowly evolved and changed. I don't particularly like having to carry but because of the changes to the overall Austin area (and the USA in general) and the behavior of "certain demographics" (take your pick), it's basically become time to "be prepared".
    So now, I will have: vehicle cameras installed, a CC under the front seat, Blink cameras on the house, and personal protection inside the house.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    rat-shack? that was indeed a long time ago!

I've been in my house for 28+ years now, watching how my part of northwest Austin has slowly evolved and changed. I don't particularly like having to carry but because of the changes to the overall Austin area (and the USA in general) and the behavior of "certain demographics" (take your pick), it's basically become time to "be prepared".
    So now, I will have: vehicle cameras installed, a CC under the front seat, Blink cameras on the house, and personal protection inside the house.

Leaving a weapon in your car is really playing the odds that someone won't score themselves a gun when they steal or ransack your car. On-body is the way to go.

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    Leaving a weapon in your car is really playing the odds that someone won't score themselves a gun when they steal or ransack your car. On-body is the way to go.
    I didn't mean to imply leave it there all the time, but at least have it available while I'm in the vehicle. Having something available at hand can be too much temptation for some people, like the USAF sergeant at the links below in Arizona.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I didn't mean to imply leave it there all the time, but at least have it available while I'm in the vehicle. Having something available at hand can be too much temptation for some people, like the USAF sergeant at the links below in Arizona.

Self control is the name of the game any time you're armed. Not everyone can handle it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom