• MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    A trailer from Junk freight?
    Man I hope you never get in front of me pulling that thing. Anything from the " Use it once" store falls apart!
    Had a shop had buy a grinder from that place. The first time he used it, it exploded, cought fire, and shocked the hell out of em!
    Nobody will bring that cheap orange crap in my shop anymore.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Just keep the bearings greased. bought one like that from J C Whitney in Illinois as a kit build
    and was a fairly heavy duty for it size .
    I used to haul my Honda 42 inch 10 horse mower about 400 lbs. with no problems.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought one of those trailers in 2002 and used it to haul gear to our High Power Rifle matches. I put a wooden floor on it and two gear boxes. The nicest thing was that when I got back from a match all tired and sore, I could just unhook the trailer, carry the rifles inside and I was done unloading.

I got the one with 12" tires. It has MANY miles on it and I have had few problems with it. I agree that the 12" tires are much better for highway hauling. Our matches were 112 miles round trip on the expressway.

The only problem I had with it came when one of the wheel bearings failed. Upon inspection, I found the hub was cracked all the way through! The hub and axle were not American standard so I got a pair of American hubs from JC Whitney in Chicago and had the local industrial bearing place find bearings and seals to match the American hub with Chinese axle diameters. That was about 4 years ago and the trailer is still ticking just fine.

I got my money's worth many times over with the trailer!

Flash

OldGringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    S.W. Houston Area
    +1 to what 308 said. Once you get it home clean out the cheap grease and repack the wheel bearings. On final assembly, put seom flat stock or washers under the hitch to keep it from deforming when you attach it to the tongue. As far as speeds, I know it will run freeway speed from Houston to Sturgis S.D. and back behind a motorcycle.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Better to have more capacity and not need it.

Look for a heavier-duty trailer at a place that specializes in trailers.

I found one rated at 1 1/2 tons that has been ueber reliable, and it has more miles on it than any of my current tow vehicles.

You will pay a little more, but that is money well spent.

If you want to go first class, spend a nickle more.

woodsong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Katy
    You will get paperwork when you purchase the trailer that you'll need when you register it. If you get it disassembled, remember the words "Air Ratchet"!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Better to have more capacity and not need it.

Look for a heavier-duty trailer at a place that specializes in trailers.
    I'm going to be pulling it with a sports car... It can't handle more capacity A light flimsy trailer is what I need.

Thanks for the comments guys. I didn't really think about the tires, but yeah 8" seems a bit small. I'll go with the one with 12" tires instead. ...or should I just make my own? I doubt I could buy the materials for less than the Harbor Freight trailer costs.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm going to be pulling it with a sports car... It can't handle more capacity A light flimsy trailer is what I need.

Thanks for the comments guys. I didn't really think about the tires, but yeah 8" seems a bit small. I'll go with the one with 12" tires instead. ...or should I just make my own? I doubt I could buy the materials for less than the Harbor Freight trailer costs.
    Going with the 12 inch tires sounds like a much better plan. Go look at NorthernTool.com and see what they offer. They generally have stuff that is a step or two above Harbor Freight. There is a Northern Tool store in San Antonio , Fort Worth, an Austin - probably more.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-trailer-parts+trailers

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I pulled my trailer with a Toyota Corolla or two Jeep Wranglers over the years. It worked great! The trailer bounces a bit and we kept our range spotting scopes in the car trunk to keep them safe from vibration. We never put our rifles in the trailer.

I suspect the 8" tires would bounce more than the 12". For what I paid for that trailer, it was a terrific purchase and well worth the money.

Flash

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I bought one of those once. Used it to haul a dirt bike. It was good at highway speeds. You won’t get any paper work for registry though. You do with bigger trailers that are already assembled but not these. Just go to the County Tax Assessor and collector and tell them it’s a home built custom trailer. All they’ll want to know is how much it weighs and how much weight it can haul. Trailer registration is easy in Texas.

Actually this is illegal.

If it is a factory built trailer it will have a serial number and a manufacturer stamped on the frame somewhere. If you get pulled over with plates for a "home made" trailer and it is factory built you are subject to getting a citation. Just take the paperwork (every trailer SHOULD come with paperwork and a temp tag)in to the tax office that you receive with the trailer and they will get you squared away.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Actually this is illegal.

If it is a factory built trailer it will have a serial number and a manufacturer stampped on the frame somewhere. If you get pulled over with plates for a "home made" trailer and it is factory built you are subject to getting a citation. Just take the paperwork (every trailer SHOULD come with paperwork and a temp tag)in to the tax office that you receive with the trailer and they will get you squared away.

I have bought several trailers (mostly 16' utility) over the years and and none of them have ever had a serial number. The people at the registration office told me to put some kind of ID on them (last four of SS- DOB or something like that) after having one stolen and was replacing it.
    Just my experinence.

John

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have bought several trailers (mostly 16' utility) over the years and and none of them have ever had a serial number. The people at the registration office told me to put some kind of ID on them (last four of SS- DOB or something like that) after having one stolen and was replacing it.
    Just my experinence.

John
    They arre on there, unless they truly are home made. If it is made by a trailer company it has a serial number. Trialers also have what are called "Confidential V.I.N. numbers" which are hidden on discrete parts of the trailer. I have recovered numerous stolen trailers that the owner claimed had no serial number....we found one everytime.
    That last 4 of your social is a real old school way of assigning numbers to legitimate home made trailers. I havent seen it done that way in some time.

Top Bottom