• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Why can't people here just answer a question without having to put their two cents in? Or at least answer it THEN say your piece?

SMR always has good reviews, but I couldn't tell you the cost. I would ask around and see if they are any people willing to help you out on the side.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    If that's the case, then why pay to get it done? I still think $30 or $40 as a minimum charge is a great deal. The shop has to pay rent, insurance, the light bill, internet bill, taxes, water, maybe do some advertising. Gonna have to buy the tools of the trade, and replace the ones that break. Need to keep up with the latest stuff and training. Keep an inventory of parts on hand, and the list goes on and on.

In that case $40 -$70 wont cover all those expenses I should move on right ? Why does a lot of people think that everyone is responsible for all the expenses. Hell I run a business but never nickle and dime my customer and recount all the expenses they have, its none of their business to know what expense I have but yeah I do go an extra mile to help the customer not try to sell them on everything I can.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hell you would hate to bring your rifle to me to mount a scope for you, i charge between $50 and $75 depending on the way its mounted.

But i do it the right way to avoid putting any kind of strain on the tube and to make sure its mounted inline with the barrel. Make sure that the crosshairs are properly aligned. I then even boresight and sometimes will even take it to the range for you and sight it in with with live ammo if asked to.

But i guess charging $50-$75 for a task that if done the right way can take several hours for something that joe-bob can do in 10 mins and screw it up even faster is just over charging.

Is this really a normal price to have a scope mounted correctly?

For all the time I've spent fighting to keep the crosshairs level I would gladly pay that.

Think I will be finding a smith next time.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If you buy the rings there, Bass Pro will mount it and bore sight it for free.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've mounted and bore sited, and lately since I have one, laser sighted several scopes. It does take more time and patients then some would suggest, but it's not rocket surgery either. The last one I did about 2 weeks ago took me about an hour and a half to get where I liked it with the scope rings torqued evenly, cross hairs perfectly level and laser sighted. I must admit I was astounded that when I shot it at the range it took about two clicks left and one up to be dead on. That said, if someone wanted to hire me to do that, and I was in the business of doing that sort of stuff, I think I'd charge around $35-45 to do it. Can't comment on the flash hider though.

As far as someone in the DFW area, you might try Bear Creek Fire Arms in Keller. I have no idea what they charge, but they do have a gunsmith on site.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    You trust a retail sales person with the job?

While I don't know Bass Pro well, I do know Cabela's in Fort Worth well and I have trusted them with my stuff and they will get you on paper and most of the guys there are more than willing to help. Not all retail employees are worthless, many of but not all.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Rogue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    They do have a point. I work in IT, if I have to go onsite to a client's office to fix a problem, we charge for a minimum of 1 hour. Even if you couldn't figure out how to plug your fax machine in correctly and it only takes me 30 seconds. I can't drive all over Houston for $2. A gunsmith, no matter how small the job is, needs to make it worth the time/hassle.

I have a set of pliers and Youtube.

I'll do it for $10.

I have a set of tweezers and a toothpick, and I watch the outdoor channel on the weekends. I'll do it for $5...

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I agree with RetArmy on the scope mount.. If Im doin that job your WILL pay $50+ to get it done right.. but cmon guys, changing out a comp? the OP is completely justified in not wanting to pay 40$ for that.. I imagine he is referring to an AR and it literally takes 2 minutes and ZERO skill.. if its a bolt gun with a shave/blend job thats a different story but I dont think thats what we are talking about.. OP if you end up in SA area, bring er on over and ill change it out for free.. that goes for the rest of you cheap bastards too lol

Kusai - sounds like you need to find somebody local like LS1Nut to help you out. For this type of thing in the future (ie something you aren't comfortable with, but a lot of DIYers are), just post something up in the hometown section saying you have a case of beer for somebody to change out your flash hider who really knows what they are doing. There are plenty of people on here who can do that stuff in their sleep and are more than willing to help out a fellow board member. It comes off more positive than coming down on the people in this industry we love who are trying to make a living doing what they love and we often need.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Kusai - sounds like you need to find somebody local like LS1Nut to help you out. For this type of thing in the future (ie something you aren't comfortable with, but a lot of DIYers are), just post something up in the hometown section saying you have a case of beer for somebody to change out your flash hider who really knows what they are doing. There are plenty of people on here who can do that stuff in their sleep and are more than willing to help out a fellow board member. It comes off more positive than coming down on the people in this industry we love who are trying to make a living doing what they love and we often need.

Sounds good to me, that way I get to make a new friend over a 6 pack. LOL

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Hence I use them more now than I ever used to since CTD has pissed me off wish they had a bit more selection of things like gun cases and such.

Top Bottom