• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Anyone know any local gunsmith or gunshop that would'nt mind to do small job for a small price. I am talking about changing flashiders or replacing them or just mounting a scope and not charging $40 to $60 for a 10 min job.

Thanks

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Well let's put it this way, I am a lazy (_!_). But $45 to change a flash hider is definitely a ripoff.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    So $40 is too much to pay a professional for providing you a service? But I'm guessing you expect him to talk to you on the phone or respond to any emails at no charge, right? Since it's only a 10 minute job, he should also probably stop whatever he's doing and work on your rig while you wait. Or better yet, have already stopped working on something else, cleared his workbench, and be waiting for you when you stop by, right?

If you're too lazy to do it yourself and want a smith to do it, find someone qualified and be happy there are folks who are making a living providing this type of service for you. There's nothing wrong with paying someone to do something you don't want to do. You just don't get to choose the price when you're in that situation. If you're going to complain about someone charging $40, it's probably best you start doing these things yourself.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    So $40 is too much to pay a professional for providing you a service? But I'm guessing you expect him to talk to you on the phone or respond to any emails at no charge, right? Since it's only a 10 minute job, he should also probably stop whatever he's doing and work on your rig while you wait. Or better yet, have already stopped working on something else, cleared his workbench, and be waiting for you when you stop by, right?

If you're too lazy to do it yourself and want a smith to do it, find someone qualified and be happy there are folks who are making a living providing this type of service for you. There's nothing wrong with paying someone to do something you don't want to do. You just don't get to choose the price when you're in that situation. If you're going to complain about someone charging $40, it's probably best you start doing these things yourself.

Dont try to put words in my mouth, I walked into a LGS and ofcourse they wanted to take the job. If they did'nt had time I would have walked away. But yeah its my choice, I wont go to any oversized egoed person who thinks their time/skills are more important than obama (except for BHO does not have any) and people should kiss their ass to get the work done. We are living in a free economy people can charge whatever they want I can opt to pay what I want. I am just looking for someone reasonably priced who can do small stuff for some charge.

PS. Its not about being lazy, my place is too small and I dont have a dedicated place to setup tools or work bench. But yeah I am a lot DIY type of person

For example I recently had flat tire. Called up a few places to fix it and they wanted $20-30 bucks. Drove to irving found a place and got it fixed for $5.

Cheers

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Anyone know any local gunsmith or gunshop that would'nt mind to do small job for a small price. I am talking about changing flashiders or replacing them or just mounting a scope and not charging $40 to $60 for a 10 min job.

Thanks
    I am not going to join in this love fest, but I will tell you why $40 is fair for installing a flash hider. It is not a 10 min job. It take 5 to 15 min to fill out the paper work. It takes 2 min to retrieve the correct vice blocks and tools. If done right it will then take up to 10 min to remove and reinstall and time the flash hider. Then it will take 2 min to put the tools away. If he knows how to use a computer then add 1 to 3 min to make an invoice. 2 min to call you and tell you its ready. 10 min explain the job when the customer picks it up. Add a few more min to take your payment. And this is providing that nothing goes wrong. Double, triple or more the time if something goes wonky.

Just saying that nothing is as easy as a pro makes it look.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    What does an auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, lawyer or doctor charge for a 15 minute job? Most of these professionals, just like gunsmiths, charge a minimum price. These people spent lots of time and money learning their trade/craft. There is absolutely NO REASON they should give you, me or anyone anything cheap if they don't want to.

I do repair work in a completely different field, and if I detect a bad attitude I charge accordingly.

Last edited:

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Hell you would hate to bring your rifle to me to mount a scope for you, i charge between $50 and $75 depending on the way its mounted.

But i do it the right way to avoid putting any kind of strain on the tube and to make sure its mounted inline with the barrel. Make sure that the crosshairs are properly aligned. I then even boresight and sometimes will even take it to the range for you and sight it in with with live ammo if asked to.

But i guess charging $50-$75 for a task that if done the right way can take several hours for something that joe-bob can do in 10 mins and screw it up even faster is just over charging.

LS1Nut

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    San Antonio
    I agree with RetArmy on the scope mount.. If Im doin that job your WILL pay $50+ to get it done right.. but cmon guys, changing out a comp? the OP is completely justified in not wanting to pay 40$ for that.. I imagine he is referring to an AR and it literally takes 2 minutes and ZERO skill.. if its a bolt gun with a shave/blend job thats a different story but I dont think thats what we are talking about.. OP if you end up in SA area, bring er on over and ill change it out for free.. that goes for the rest of you cheap bastards too lol

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    ....it literally takes 2 minutes and ZERO skill..

If that's the case, then why pay to get it done? I still think $30 or $40 as a minimum charge is a great deal. The shop has to pay rent, insurance, the light bill, internet bill, taxes, water, maybe do some advertising. Gonna have to buy the tools of the trade, and replace the ones that break. Need to keep up with the latest stuff and training. Keep an inventory of parts on hand, and the list goes on and on.

Top Bottom