• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Does anyone do the wrenching on their Motorcycle. I have added some accessories and lights to my Road King I am going to do an Oil change on mine and thinking about using Amsoil and and one of there Wix filters. Any thoughts or experience ?
    ARJ Defense ad

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I've only heard good things about amsoil. I don't use it because it's too much for my wallet and how fast I rack up miles so I stick with Rotella.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Wix is good filters on the automotive side. Don't know about the bike filters.

Amsoil is overrated, IMO. I've heard about old QC issues, not sure how true. But it's apparently Ok stuff now. I just don't think it's honestly any better than another good oil like Mobil 1.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I used to wrench my '81 GS850, but I stay(ed) out of my newer bikes. I'd wrench a Harley though, seems like everything's right there easy to access. 3 tips for wrenching. 1. Do your research before you start. 2. Refer to step 1. 3. Refer to step 2

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Well I work in a Motorcycle dealership. We men are religous about our oils and all you have listed are fine. Don't know about wix but PLEASE don't use fram filters. So far this year I have seen three motors hurt by those filters. Dry starts and no antidrain valves.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well I work in a Motorcycle dealership. We men are religous about our oils and all you have listed are fine. Don't know about wix but PLEASE don't use fram filters. So far this year I have seen three motors hurt by those filters. Dry starts and no antidrain valves.

Fram sucks. I've seen them plug. Apparently their bypass valves aren't too reliable.

I'm automotive, but as a rule of thumb I prefer to use OE filters on everything. WIX is usually acceptable, but I mostly work on Euro cars. OE only on Euro trash.

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas

Yeah after finding several filter comparisons on youtube...I won't be using Fram filters anymore... I'm switching to K&N for my H-D from now on out...thanks for the info.

( WARNING ) For You Fram Oil Filter Lover's.YouTube - YouTube

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Whatever dino oil is on sale at the time is what I use. People get too bent out of shape over oil... Just change it at your recommended interval (or sooner if your manufacturer is one of the numbskulls that say you're good for a 10,000mi oil changes). A good filter is a must, tho. Wix is probably cream of the crop when it comes to filters.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Does this count as wrenching?
    2012-07-01 22.54.06.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Whatever dino oil is on sale at the time is what I use. People get too bent out of shape over oil... Just change it at your recommended interval (or sooner if your manufacturer is one of the numbskulls that say you're good for a 10,000mi oil changes). A good filter is a must, tho. Wix is probably cream of the crop when it comes to filters.

To a large degree they do, but there are engines out there that will choke to death on dino, even with good intervals. And there are more and more of those engines coming out every year.

+1 to numbskulls calling for 10,000 mile intervals. I think BMW is up to 16,000 or more now. Morons. I've seen what happens to engines when you go that long, even if you're using the best oil.

Top Bottom