• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mia1aab

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2024
    Houston
    Hello. Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. If not, please tell me where.

I recently moved to Texas and don’t have room in my house gun safe so it’s in the garage. I haven’t put any of my guns in the safe because I’m concerned they will rust. My hygrometer says humidity is between 50-55% most days and temperature is between 85-90. This is with a large golden rod inside the safe. I recently bought some activated charcoal bags which are supposed to absorb moisture.

Has anyone had success with that? What else is everyone doing that has their safe in the garage to prevent damaging their guns?

Thanks

mia1aab

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2024
    Houston
    I have a number of guns in my garage "overflow" safe, never an issue. As noted, you don't want the air TOO dry - bad on wood stocks.
    How do you regulate humidity and should I raise the safe off the ground with hockey pucks? I’ve heard it’s not good for it to be flat on the concrete.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I've wanted a safe in the garage because it may be too heavy for hardwood flooring on pier and beam indoors. Mainly for handguns, ammo and valuables, no rifles. If indoors and too small someone could simply carry it out. Others say then bolt it to the floor. Nobody will say how much weight I can put on the floor...

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Meh just buy a 1970's era real gun safe you don't need bolts they are so heavy they Bend a 800lb dolly lol ask me how I know

It was bolted into my non climate controlled garage for 10+ years in central TX. No golden rod nothing. It was against an exterior wall on one side it was not opened very often and I had no rust issues

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    I've wanted a safe in the garage because it may be too heavy for hardwood flooring on pier and beam indoors. ... Nobody will say how much weight I can put on the floor...
    We didn't consider that, and should have. Major fail.
    The repairs - added piers and sistered beams - last year was a chunk; still waiting for the floors to hopefully level back out some, but there's new signs now of problem not resolved.

With the average 80% humidity here in the thicket, not sure outside would be an option.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Nobody will say how much weight I can put on the floor...

Find yourself a structural engineer. I'm facing something of a similar situation - possible relocation to Boerne, along with 4 1800 lb safes, plus the garage safe. DEFINITELY considering building a concrete addition w/a vault door - my gal's place is on pier and beam - not even going to consider trying to reinforce the floors to hold those beasts.

Enigma57

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2020
    Dallas/ Fort Worth Area
    I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking for advice. In Atlanta the safe was in the basement where it was 70 degrees and 45-50 humidity and I never worried.
    Here's what's recommended on my Hygrometer.

IMG_0549.jpg

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I've wanted a safe in the garage because it may be too heavy for hardwood flooring on pier and beam indoors. Mainly for handguns, ammo and valuables, no rifles. If indoors and too small someone could simply carry it out. Others say then bolt it to the floor. Nobody will say how much weight I can put on the floor...
    When we had bamboo flooring added the installer recommended not putting our safe on the floor so it's in the garage.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Several years ago in my neck of the woods, a gun-safe was stolen from a house .

The thefts used a backhoe and scooped the vault out through the roof, then loaded into a dump truck.
    I assume the safe was really big and filled with especially valuable firearms, and therefore worth the effort. Were they able to track them down based on the backhoe/dump truck?

Top Bottom