Join TexasGunTalk

Gun range prep stereotype

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Gilbertc13, Oct 5, 2018.

1. sucker76

sucker76 Don't let the username fool you

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I do that but with rifles. One of the perks of working shift work is I can go in the middle of the week and mostly have the range to myself. It's very relaxing.

Dancing Heretik and Southpaw like this.
  2. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yep. Works with rifles, too.

3. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I burn 300-500 rounds of 9mm/.45 ACP per range trip. Casting my own bullets and reloading means I'm shooting those for less than what CCI MiniMags run at Walmart.

4. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I hit the range about every other or every 3rd day when I'm home. Sometimes several days in a row. I work in the oilfield, and stay gone from anywhere from 2 weeks to 2-3 months, so when I'm home I like to get my shooting time in.

I like shooting USPSA and 3 gun. Heck, I like shooting, in general, lol.

I like to start by stepping out of the truck, walking towards the firing line, draw my edc piece and dump a mag on target, reload and dump another. That's at least 25 rounds.

I then set up and run pistol drills, no matter what. That's 60 or so rounds, minimum, most of the time it's closer to 150.

Most days I'll run carbine drills- mostly now it's PCC, 9mm. There's another 150 or so, normally.

After that, I set up the chronograph and run my test/development loads for whatever I'm working on. Normally 30-50 rounds.

About 1/3 to 1/2 the time, I take a relative or friend (ok, acquaintance...don't have many actual tight friends). That will normally double or even triple the round count.

I guess I'm a cross between the ammo guy, and the 'extraneaous' equipment guy... gun bags, ammo cans, chronograph, tripod, belt and holsters, box of targets... but I use all that stuff, so I dont' think they're really 'extra.' And it normally takes me less than 5 minutes to be completely loaded, ready to go: It's just another day at the range, it shouldn't take much time to get ready.

Yes, getting ready the night before an away match I'll spend 15-30 minutes, making sure I have everything and then double check it, but normal range days? Nah. It's about a 10-15 minute drive- plus drive through time at the chick filet on the way :)

5. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I should be there in October. We should organize a convoy.

I tend to bring a lot of ammo but not shoot it all. I like having the option.

Unfortunately I don't get to shoot often so when I do go, it's usually a several hour affair.

rmantoo and Dancing Heretik like this.
  6. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I've thought about that. But, between the cost of getting started and the space required, I'm going to wait for now.

If I live long enough to retire and still have the energy, I might give it a try. Especially since I'll have a lot more range time by then.

rmantoo likes this.
  7. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    OMG, that sounds exhausting!

8. rmantoo

rmantoo Cranky old fart: Pull my finger

Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    ?? Not really. It's a lot like working out: The more you do it, the easier, kinda, it gets. I figure since most matches run at least 5 hours +per day - although not shooting anywhere near the entire time- The way to keep my stamina and focus up is to spend a lot of time shooting/training on normal range days.... and, again, I like shooting, so...

I used to compete in hare scrambles and moto-cross, and this is a lot less intense, both physically and mentally, than that, but still keeps me fairly active.

Dancing Heretik likes this.
  9. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That's why I like precision shooting. Trying for one hole. Requires concentration, relaxation, and body control. All of which clear the brain of junk.

rmantoo likes this.
  10. Dancing Heretik

Dancing Heretik Member

Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    That does sound refreshing. I tend to overtire myself. It's like I don't want to waste the trip.

rmantoo likes this.