• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Wow, Leading by example. Who would have thought?
    With this being an Internet forum there are an abundance of what I call (Keyboard Commandos). I myself have got into heated debates with others here, but there's no reason we can't still be somewhat civil and communicate to each other like human beings.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    With this being an Internet forum there are an abundance of what I call (Keyboard Commandos). I myself have got into heated debates with others here, but there's no reason we can't still be somewhat civil and communicate to each other like human beings.

Same here. In my short time here I've found that certain subjects and personality types don't mix. But at the same time, most internet forum interactions are just that...internet forum interactions. A rationale normal person won't put stock in those conversations nor would they allow them to transpose to real life interaction in the event the same two people met. And to be frank, the anonymity online allows for certain things to be said on a whim without repercussion--whereas in actual conversation that may not be the case. Some studies have theorized that online interactions serve as vessels for individuals to say the things and express the things they would LIKE to say on certain subjects in normal life but cannot.

Either way...everyone on here believes in the 2A, everything else is secondary...as I would hope common courtesy under normal conditions would prevail.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Listening to NPR (that's a whole 'nother story) on the way in from the job site a few minutes ago. In an interview with a reporter in FL, NPR played the race card, mentioned Trayvon/Zimmerman, hammered on 'stand your ground', and dripped in anti-gun sentiment.

FWIW, here's what liberals are hearing with regard to the subject theater shooting:

Will ?Stand Your Ground? Be Used In Florida Theater Shooting? | Here & Now

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Listening to NPR (that's a whole 'nother story) on the way in from the job site a few minutes ago. In an interview with a reporter in FL, NPR played the race card, mentioned Trayvon/Zimmerman, hammered on 'stand your ground', and dripped in anti-gun sentiment.

FWIW, here's what liberals are hearing with regard to the subject theater shooting:

Will ?Stand Your Ground? Be Used In Florida Theater Shooting? | Here & Now

Listening to Jeff Ward on KLBJ yesterday during the "drive home," it was amazing how many people were calling in with the opinion that "well, the other guy assaulted him so he was justified to use force back" and not taking account of the LEVEL of force justified, required and used. Jeff came to the conclusion that given a jury pool of his listeners, the guy would walk. Granted, his listeners are somewhat skewed, but not as much as you'd think with the liberal populace in Austin..

One guy made the point, repeatedly, that "throwing anything at me is assault - it doesn't matter that it's popcorn" and another lady made the point that "popcorn can hurt when it's thrown at you." These are exactly the people who either don't need a CHL, period, or need the CHL class to get the use of force/dispute resolution piece of things worked out (note: not trying to stoke the "why should I need a license" debate, but it's crap like this that has people SUPPORTING licenses and requirements, so we've got to work this out backwards to get back to a sane position).

There was little to no sympathy whatsoever for the situation the man found himself in - dead - over texting. Texting is almost a more emotional response than guns evoke. I was very, very surprised to hear the constant stream of "he got what he deserved" from a radio station in AUSTIN.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Well I have to agree with Shorts here. I don't think the texter got what he deserved but I do think he got what he asked for. He wanted to continue this argument. He wanted to escalate it to another level and he got it. Probably not the level of escalation he expected but nevertheless.

I have no sympathy for either of these two men. Both of them had ample opportunities to withdraw from this incident but neither chose to do so. I feel bad for their families. The shooter's wife will most likely have to live her life with her husband spending the rest of his life in prison. The texter's wife and daughter will have to go on without a husband and father.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... not taking account of the LEVEL of force justified, required and used. ...

... These are exactly the people who either don't need a CHL, period, or need the CHL class to get the use of force/dispute resolution piece of things worked out ...
    The public gets wrong ideas from so many, many sources.

Remember the cop (Yes, this happened in Canada but the principle applies.) who arrested a protester for assaulting him because she was blowing soap bubbles and one of them landed on him? That video was all over social media for months. People see stupid crap like that and they get the idea that they can rain down fire and brimstone on anyone who taps them with a feather.

Where the common sense got lost, I dunno.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Yeah, there was no psych exam required ;)

In 2009, when I got out of the Army, they were required of veterans that had just gotten off of active duty at our expense. The claim was that too many veterans were returning home with "undiagnosed PTSD" and it needed to be proven that a vet didnt have it before getting a CHL. It changed shortly thereafter but I got a FL CWP during that time. That is why I got a FL CWP and carry on it. Now that things have changed when this CWP gets close to expiring I will get a TxCHL.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In 2009, when I got out of the Army, they were required of veterans that had just gotten off of active duty at our expense. The claim was that too many veterans were returning home with "undiagnosed PTSD" and it needed to be proven that a vet didnt have it before getting a CHL. It changed shortly thereafter but I got a FL CWP during that time. That is why I got a FL CWP and carry on it. Now that things have changed when this CWP gets close to expiring I will get a TxCHL.

I do not doubt that happened to you, but I have had MANY students who were veterans. None of them report experience what you did. I have been an instructor since 2003. I just don't think it was done of everyone.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I do not doubt that happened to you, but I have had MANY students who were veterans. None of them report experience what you did. I have been an instructor since 2003. I just don't think it was done of everyone.

Maybe not but when I questioned DPS on it, after they told me it was required, that was the answer they gave me.

Top Bottom