• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    NICS..........................again.......................................

I'm not willing to rehash Academy's track record on delays=denials...........

But this same scenario has been posted multiple times only by Academy Customers................................

Coincidence?

Sure...........................

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Hello, I have a couple of old guns at home—a shotgun and a Taurus—and I was thinking of buying a new Glock 19 and another shotgun at Academy. However, I was surprised to find that my purchase was denied.

I have a TWIC card and I transport hazardous explosives and ammunition, so I was embarrassed when they told me I couldn’t buy the guns. It turns out that 28 years ago, when I was 18, I was arrested at a mall because a friend of mine tried to steal Timberland boots from Macy's. We ended up with a $300 fine, and it seems that this incident is what led to my denial.

Does this mean I can never buy a gun again? Any advice would be appreciated

Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), sections 921(a)(20) and 922(g)(1): "A person who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year or any state offense classified by the state as a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of more than two years." Please note that it does not matter whether the sentence of more than one or two years was actually ordered or served; the prohibitor is based upon the maximum sentence that could have been imposed upon the individual by the court. In addition, some convictions which may have been "sealed" or "expunged" for certain purposes still qualify as 18 U.S.C. §922(g)(1) prohibitors.

Did Academy give you paperwork with your NTN to contact NICS which they are required by Federal Regulation to do?

If not, go back and demand it.

and if you don't know what the NTN is......they didn't.

Last edited:

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    The biggest reason I suggested an attorney is they can both investigate and advise while exposing you to minimal risk.

Private sellers have their own criteria.

Mistaken identity is also possible.

The stated reason may be something at the top of the list. What is buried deep with risks galore, that you may not be aware of, could be the real cause.

Tread cautiously.
    Would it really take an attorney to figure out a NICS denial? If OP is a convicted felon, it's very likely he knows it already. Since he indicated the only issue he can think of is the $300 'theft' issue 28 years ago, it's pretty unlikely. NICS denials for mistaken reasons are very common. That's why ATF almost never follows up criminally on FBI NICS denials, because 99% are false positives.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If they didn't give him the paperwork to contact NICS and his NTN..............

I'm willing to bet he was delayed................

And it has been discussed ad nauseum...."some" Academy stores treat a delay as a denial and refuse to transfer the firearm even if an approval comes within 72 hours or one never comes, either way they could legally transfer the firearm but don't.

This has been a common complaint/occurrence over the years as posted here on TGT........

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    and just to ruffle some more feathers.....................

"Some" Academy stores will run a background check even if you have a LTC................

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Neither here nor there but Academy's new policy is to hold on to your DL/CHL while you finger fudge the guns.

I've only bought one gun from Academy. They wanted me to wait for the BC even though I had a CHL. It didn't take long but Academy is about the last place I'll try when looking for something. Ammo excluded if its on sale.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    Neither here nor there but Academy's new policy is to hold on to your DL/CHL while you finger fudge the guns.

I've only bought one gun from Academy. They wanted me to wait for the BC even though I had a CHL. It didn't take long but Academy is about the last place I'll try when looking for something. Ammo excluded if its on sale.
    I bought a Bushmaster AR15 from Academy in 2016 because I thought Hillary was going to win and I don't remember if they ran a BC even though I had a LTC, but the process was fast enough that if they did, I didn't notice.

Top Bottom