Military Camp

Grizzly or human? Which will the law(s) protect?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    When the bear learns there is an easy meal there, it will continue to come back. The man did the right thing, and put an end to it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Quote "the Judge had to move the hearing to a larger courtroom."
    NO!! The Judge should have dismissed the case on the 1st reading.
    I want to scream!

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Look at the pamphlet for Texas P&W about the Black Bear. You kill one you go to jail period, but on the next page it says that if attacked fight back as aggressively as possible to survive but you kill it you go to jail.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A black bear and a Grizzly are two different things.

I have the feeling this guy isn't going to get 2 years of jail.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    A black bear and a Grizzly are two different things.

What's your point?

Not that I have much dealings, but I'm under the impression black bears don't generally get riled up as easily as grizzlies.
    Actually, I Googled it and found this entertaining:

Mentlfloss.com is your source for bear info!? That's funny. Article was entertaining.

My understanding is Grizzlies are Federally endangered while Blacks are listed as threatened in TX so, aside from curbing poachers, why such a heavy penalty for killing a Black?

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Black bears kill too. Let me put it this way, if I was getting mauled, losing, and armed, I'd shoot the dang bear and face charges. I would rather live than not break a stupid law. That said, one should always be permitted to defend themselves, even if the required force is fatal.

I think the guy's issue here is that no one was attacked and he decided to take the bear out. If he had stock attacked, he should have contacted authorities about the bear's presence. Anyways, the penalty he is facing pretty hefty. He should not be faced with more than a fine.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    What burns me is that the guy was being honest and turned in the incident. He could have just as easily got out a shovel and made it disappear. I suspect that anyone else that shoots a grizzly will bury it.

Tell me again why we need more government regulations?????

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Interesting reading. As someone who has faced a grizzly (oh and I can prove it) black bears as well as polar bears I understand one thing. Bears are unpredictable, Just because it wandered past yesterday and didn't have an interest in you does not mean it will do the same tomorrow.

If parts of the story are true, bear was near area where there were pigs and that was near where man has kids and the bear had cubs.... Bear is going to depart this world. Bears are wild hunters, and like all wild hunters prefer not to have to work hard for their meals. Penned animals make for easy eating. Bears will come back for easy prey even if they are live trapped and hauled hundreds of miles away. Just ask the one that now resides on my wall.

The man has a duty to protect his family and his livestock. Seems unfortunate that a large number of people have lost touch with the reality of what life in rural or wilderness areas means. Sometimes you have to kill to ensure the safety of yourself and family.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The usual self defense laws would not provide a defense against shooting any animal in Texas. Self defense laws use the phrase "against another", and an animal is not "another".

However, there is a section of chapter 9 called necessity, and it has three parts;

1) The action was immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm

2) the need to avoid the harm clearly outweighs the harm sought to be prevented by the law that otherwise makes the action illegal.

3) there does not appear to be a legislative reason to overrule 1 and 2 for your action.

Not exact wording by any stretch, but in my lack of coffee state is pretty close.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Just saw this. What a terrible way to go. Play by play of your own death. Wow.

yeah seems like it is pretty far fetched, not sure if i buy it, but on the other hand it was in Russia, i hear anything can happen in the woods over there.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    triggermike11
    Top Bottom