• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Anyone know any individuals or small business handgun grip makers around Central Texas (or just Texas in general) that might be interested in trading some work for some grip material? I have some elk antler material that is cluttering up the garage. I'm not really interested in selling it, more like trading it for a set of grips for my 1911 and/or my S&W 640. The one antler I have left at this time is over three feet long and over 2 1/2" in diameter at the base. Anyone interested can message me for more information. I'll email a picture to anyone interested. 'Can't message or post pics anymore since Photobuttlick changed their policies, etc.
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I haven't heard of anyone that makes grips. Somebody probably makes knifes though. Figure they'd jump on that deal. A wood hobbyist could also make them.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    It's been a while since this thread started but haven't had any luck with finding grip makers around here. If I had a drill press I'd attempt to make a set for a 1911. I've got the other tools to do the job, just not able to drill the precision grip screw holes without a press. I taught woodworking for many years (many years ago) so I wouldn't mind trying and eventually doing some from that elk antler.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It's been a while since this thread started but haven't had any luck with finding grip makers around here. If I had a drill press I'd attempt to make a set for a 1911. I've got the other tools to do the job, just not able to drill the precision grip screw holes without a press. I taught woodworking for many years (many years ago) so I wouldn't mind trying and eventually doing some from that elk antler.

I have made a couple of sets of grips for 1911's in the past. For the most part, 1911's are fairly easy. Many semi-auto pistols are fairly simple to ,ake grips for. Revolvers can get a bit tricky.

Working with antler is just about having the right tools to be able to cut and sand it to a proper final shape. Personally, I have never worked with any type of antler or bone. I do have some sheds that I want to practice with for knife handles, that should give me some decent handle material.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I wouldn't mind attempting it if I had the right amount of equipment and the time. I've got enough woodworking experience from teaching it for years that will probably be able to cross over into some antler work if I had the right tools.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I wouldn't mind attempting it if I had the right amount of equipment and the time. I've got enough woodworking experience from teaching it for years that will probably be able to cross over into some antler work if I had the right tools.

You can't buy one of those smaller bench top drill presses?
    I wouldn't think you'd need a bunch of equipment for a few attempts.
    A small belt and disc sander would be another good tool.
    What are we talking here? Couple hundred bucks?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    You can't buy one of those smaller bench top drill presses?
    I wouldn't think you'd need a bunch of equipment for a few attempts.
    A small belt and disc sander would be another good tool.
    What are we talking here? Couple hundred bucks?
    Probably not even that much. I've got a commercial belt sander with a wheel on it also. I've probably got all the stuff I need except the enthusiasm! :green:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

MoonPie is right. An inexpensive benchtop drill press and a combo belt and disc sander can be bought for less than $200. Searching Craigslist for about half that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I've got the sander part covered. I small drill press would be good. I'm right on top of it. :banana: Grandsons and son-in-law coming sometime today from Tulsa to swap some couches for wife and daughter. Not sure how long they will be here but when they are gone, I might start working on some "practice" grips before I grind on the antler. Heh! I might even like to make some for the Ruger Birdshead!

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    thumbnail

Think my sander would work?
    Picture isn't going through.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Harbor Fright is the answer you seek.
    Step drill bits are the hardest tool to find. I use their bench-top drill press for knife handles. Works great.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I do not believe they do. But I know a couple knife maker suppliers that should have one that will fit. I will know for sure when I make my next order. I need some to do some specialty pins.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom