• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steve-o

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Arlington
    After 8 years of loyal apartment balcony and backyard service, my $99 Charbroil gas grill has passed.

I'm looking for any recs for a good, made in the USA grill. The budget is around $500ish, and I'm very interested in the combo gas,charcoal,smoker grills you see everywhere. The problem is that they are all made in china. Gas is my preferred method of burning meat, but when I have time to babysit a temp gauge I like to smoke brisket and turkey as well.

Any ideas?
    ARJ Defense ad

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Been using a chargriller duo 50/50. Don't use gas much. Maybe 2 times since I bought it. I light the coals, prep the meat. By the time.I'm done with that the coals are ready. Not much more effort. I got the smoker attachment, but it didn't fit good. Contacted customer service. They promptly sent a replacement without issue. Arrived quick, but suffered from poor quality. So I returned the smoker attachment to lowes. I don't smoke anyway. Just thought about getting in to it.

It's held up for almost 2 years now. I tried tarps, but the sun kills them in a season.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Not all Webers are made in the USA, but several of them are. Typically the nicer ones. I've got a Genesis model that's held up fairly well. It's about 2 1/2 years old now. I like to cook out often, and the cheap versions seemed to die after a year or two they way I use them. I went looking for a Made in the US version with a stainless grates, and couldn't be happier.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Dude a weber hands down is the best bang for your buck. Look around amazon. I picked mine up for hundreds less than sears or other big box retailers.

There are better grills out there but they'll cost you $$$$$$.

Weber also sells an upright barrel smoker. That looks gimickee but it works.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    Been using a chargriller duo 50/50. Don't use gas much. Maybe 2 times since I bought it. I light the coals, prep the meat. By the time.I'm done with that the coals are ready. Not much more effort. I got the smoker attachment, but it didn't fit good. Contacted customer service. They promptly sent a replacement without issue. Arrived quick, but suffered from poor quality. So I returned the smoker attachment to lowes. I don't smoke anyway. Just thought about getting in to it.

It's held up for almost 2 years now. I tried tarps, but the sun kills them in a season.

I second that on the duo 50/50. I've had mine for 2 years, and the sun has taken a huge toll on the finish. Hope to get it to last this year before replacement. Like the many have said, I think next try will be Weber.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The way I look at it, ideally you would have two dedicated units. It's more money, but quality pieces will last a lifetime. I am done repurchasing cheap crap every few years. So. A propane (or LPG) grill for the fast and easy grilling/searing/baked potato/etc, and a wood fired box for the slow cooked meats. For a gas grill, the mid and upper level Webers can't be beat. I have a Genesis EP-330 that I absolutely love and use regularly. I'm on the hunt for the next piece now :)

TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Weber is a great standby.

Lil Tex is great stuff.

Big Green Egg will convert you to some sort of BBQ/Grilling cult person.

For a gas grill, the Charbroil infrared is amazingly easy and you can add wood to get a good smoke going.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Weber Ours is a 1995 vintage and has been refurbished once with burners.

Top Bottom