• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I spent a few years trying out small flashlight after small flashlight, trying to find something that would work as a good general purpose light. I started off with a Streamlight Stylus, which was alright, but the exposed LED at the end didn't throw much light and it lit (very small) areas better than objects. The batteries were kind of hard to find, because they were AAAA.

Went through a couple more and now I'm to this (.45 ACP for scale).

110817_001.jpg

The Streamlight Microstream. It's a small LED light with a good pocket clip, a reflector and it uses a AAA battery that you can buy at any HEB. The switch is on the tail cap, press lightly for temporary on/off, press until it clicks for constant on. Constant run time is about 2 hours according to Streamlight. That stretches out to several months of use for me, and I use it almost daily.

Now, this isn't a tactical light. It's not a "hide behind it" kind of light, it's definitely in the "makes a good target" category, so if you're looking for a tactical EDC, you need something bigger. However... When you're in the theater with your wife or girlfriend (or both!) and she drops her cell phone or keys and you need to find them, nobody (including you) is going to appreciate it when you bust out that billion candlepower spotlight and give everybody in the place a tan. This light is great for general tasks because it's bright enough to identify an object at a reasonable distance (20-30 feet), but not so bright that it's going to light an entire room up. The other good thing is that this will fit easily into a pocket without taking up much room. It didn't take long for me to stop noticing that this light is with me.

Here's how it looks in the dark:

bright.jpg

I've got the light on in the room behind me, but this landing is fairly dark. The Microstream throws a pretty well-focused beam that's bright enough for most of the things you'll want a flashlight for.

One trick I learned early was because the light is so small, I can choke up on the light and partially cover the lens. This is really useful in situations like a dark theater where you don't want to piss everybody off, and/or you want to preserve your own night vision. Being an LED light, the lens doesn't get hot or noticeably warm, and you can cut the light down like this for as long as you need. It's also nice when your eyes have really adjusted to the dark and popping that light on full blast is going to dazzle you a bit. You can "ease into it" so that your eyes don't suffer.

Using that method looks like this from the business end of the light. Looks goofy because I have to turn my hand back toward myself for the picture, but you get the idea:

covered.jpg

Normally held something like this:

uncovered.jpg

And like this in the dark:

dimmed.jpg

During my shoot for the review, the battery actually died on me. To change it, you just unscrew the tail cap, drop the old battery in the trash and drop the new battery into the light. Keep an eye on that o-ring at the back, Streamlight says you should lube it from time to time with some silicone grease. I did once, and it's stayed slippery. The o-ring can go bad, stretch out and make it harder to put the cap back on. You can run the light without it, but it won't be very water tight.

battery.jpg

The obligatory "ZOMG, it works in a glass of water!" shot.

water.jpg

I pick these lights up for $20 as cheap gifts for friends (cheap gifts for cheap friends? :p), and they all seem to really like the lights. Streamlight has a lifetime warranty against defects. I don't remember ever collecting on it, and I've owned a few of their products.

These sell in several different anodized colors including a flat black. I like the shiny red. Why? You ever tried to find your flashlight in the dark (if only I had a flashlight!) when it's flat black?

There's a larger version called the Stylus Pro that's pretty nice. The same diameter, all the same features at a similar price, but about twice the length to take two AAA batteries. It's slightly brighter and run time is better, but overall I think the Microstream is the better balance of size and light output for something that's going to sit in your pocket 99% of its life.
    Capitol Armory ad

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I have one as well. While I wouldn't want to use it for "Tactical" situations, it is an excellent "Every-day" light. For the niche it fills it can't be beat!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    i carry one every day. it is truely a great lamp. i love just about everything streamlight makes. thanks for the review.

I'm guessing that we might have some of the same flashlights and use them for the same things, judging by your username. I use a Stinger at work, and have a Stinger LED for a house light. I'm happy with how durable the Stinger line is.

lenahorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Cash Texas
    This post I will reply to. I have the same light now for a month or so and reall like it, I use it daily. I very much recommend this small light.
    While on the subject of lights I bought a m20 Olight and the 340 lumen light is great for a small hand held.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I dont carry EDC flashlight, but after reading your post, I think I'll look into a small one. Thanks for the review....I'll look for this flashlight at my neighborhood HEB.... what was the price?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nice review. My stylus pro uses AAA batteries, and I like it a lot.

Thanks!

I started off with a Stylus Pro (still have it, but I managed to break the clip by snagging on something), this is just a single-battery version of it. Same clip, same LED, same everything. Just a shorter body is all. I think it carries a little bit better. Not that the Pro is hard to forget about once it's in your pocket...

Either one makes a great EDC light, IMO. I've used 'em both countless times and will keep on until they come up with something that's "better enough" to convince me to switch.

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Streamlights are nice. The AA one is even nicer, higher output and more runtime.

What's the "Snap-On Truck"? I didn't know there was such a thing. Is it like the Avon Lady? I.e., a mobile advertising/sales truck for Snap-On? Woah. I'd love to see that.

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    the snap on truck is an installer or mechanics best friend... you go on say i need this this this and this, and walk out with a triple bay toolbox and every tool you'll need to fill it up...

avoid cornhole, matco and snapon have the best financing and products

it is an on truck credit, pay so much per week or big ticket items you finance through snapon credit

Cool, thanks for the info.

Reminds me of when I was little, my 4th grade teacher lived in Oshkosh, WI, and he was friends with the Snap-On owner. At the time, I was like, Big deal, tools that snap together. Had I known the quality of those tools, I woulda scrounged for some freebies from my teacher =)

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    I guess I'm the odd man out. My EDC light is a 720 lumen light, with 580 actual out the front lumens (an Eagletac T20C2 Mk II with the XM-L HO LED module)

Wellll...my EDC is a 1000-lumen modified SureFire L5 =) OTF. With four brightness levels. Runs off a 18650.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Interesting. I looked at the size of that L5. I don't know what modded LED you have in it, but there is no LED out that will produce an actual 1000 lumen OTF output on ONE 18650. The XM-L is the brightest LED module out there right now. TWO of them could put that out, but not on one 18650.

My Jetbeam BC400 puts out over 800 actual out the front lumens, but it uses two 18650s.

However, many LED flashlights are rated at what they theoretically put out at the actual emitter, in the first second. Many companies take advantage of people by posting #'s they can't possibly achieve.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Streamlights are nice. The AA one is even nicer, higher output and more runtime.

What's the "Snap-On Truck"? I didn't know there was such a thing. Is it like the Avon Lady? I.e., a mobile advertising/sales truck for Snap-On? Woah. I'd love to see that.

Snap-on dealers are mobile. Makes it easier for us mechanics to buy stuff. Added bonus: their stuff (usually) has a lifetime warranty, so they ask you if you need anything, or have anything broken. Weekly. :D On-truck credit is another plus, but if you buy something more expensive (about a grand), they wind up doing an official line of credit.

They do have some really good stuff on the truck. 80 tooth ratchet? Yes, please. Especially the 1/2" drive 36" one.

the snap on truck is an installer or mechanics best friend... you go on say i need this this this and this, and walk out with a triple bay toolbox and every tool you'll need to fill it up...

avoid cornhole, matco and snapon have the best financing and products

it is an on truck credit, pay so much per week or big ticket items you finance through snapon credit

Hey, now. I buy a bit of Matco stuff. Quite a bit of the stuff Snap-on sells is the same as Matco (and several other vendors) sells at a lower price.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Reminds me of when I was little, my 4th grade teacher lived in Oshkosh, WI, and he was friends with the Snap-On owner. At the time, I was like, Big deal, tools that snap together. Had I known the quality of those tools, I woulda scrounged for some freebies from my teacher =)

Snap-on is called Snap-on because they were the first to bring a detachable socket to market. Wayyyy back when Texasredneck was 30 or so, you had to buy a different ratchet for each bolt size.

Top Bottom