• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Houston
    Hi fellas, so yesterday my new knife got here!
    Heres some pics;

View attachment 10406 View attachment 10407
    View attachment 10408
    View attachment 10409 View attachment 10410

Heres my new Emerson Super CQC 7! This is my first folding knife so I was up till 5am opening and closing the knife over and over again. So far I have 2 minor cuts on my thumb and 1 on my pinky anyways the knife feels a little stiff I see some videos of guys flipping the knife open with their thumb alone, I still have to give it a little flick with the wrist to get it to open. Grips are also G-10. They have a lot of grip, but since the clip is so darn tight I am afraid that the grips are going to tear my pants up (5.11 tactical pants). I actually stretched the clip open a little, this thing was so tight I couldn't even stuff a credit card between it. Hopefully they loosen up too or if you dont wear tactical heavy duty pants w/ reinforced linings forget about carrying this knife. The liner is also a little tight but I hear that will smooth out in time too...only thing thats kind of annoying is the liner lock. It "clicks" every time I unlock it like it kind of sticks but I think that will sort itself out after the knifes been broken in.

The lockup on this blade is also exceptional. Again I have nothing to compare it to, but it feels like a fixed blade knife. Does not wiggle a centimeter left right or forward or backward. Gave it some hard taps on my palm and the liner did not unlock. The wave feature is by far its the best feature though. Basically the "wave" catches on the seam of your pocket and drags the blade out, so you dont even need to touch the disk with your thumb, just pull and give it a little flourish at the end and the knife locks in place. I was able to get it down on the second time and is faster than even a switchblade not sure why no other knives copy this feature...

Anyways I was wondering if my Emerson is still in its break in period, I hope maybe in 1-2 weeks it will loosen up a bit, its pretty tight right now, and my thumb is taking a real beating on that disk. The black coating I hear is very durable too, but I wont be doing meager tasks with this knife like opening envelopes or whatever so it should stay black and beautiful. I would rate this knife 9.5/10 just because I found a small hairline cut on the face of the blade...nitpicking probably but for its price I wanted a pristine perfect blade...then again I dont know of another knife to compare it with so my rating is kind of useless. I will also note that my friend at the gun store has a knife that is marked w/ the H&K logo and looks almost exactly like mine..not a Emerson though..curious.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Capitol Armory ad

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I have been told that Emerson makes outstanding blades. Good one to have, sturdy, well crafted, and pleasing to look at. And yes it should "loosen" up with use. Did I read that right, your first knife? Thats a heck of a good knife to start with.

Chris

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks fellas! I just finished editing the post. I was actually not interested in knives at all, until I saw the CQC8 on nutnfancy's youtube review. That really got me interested, and I remembered the name Earnest Emerson from my gun magazine. He had Les Baer make him a gun or something but at the time I didnt know who Emerson was. I was about to go buy the CQC8 but then I saw the CQC7 and I instantly loved it. I think its because the shape of the blade reminds me of a great white shark's head. And currently I have been watching Shark Week videos back to back sooo...

But I am a big believer that "quality will always pay" do it right the first time, go for quality, performance and reputation and have confidence in your blade/gun.
    "So that one may walk in peace."

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Awsome blade! I just cant fathom paying that price for a knife. If I ever had the money I would definitly look at the emersom line. Also I am a big nutnfancy fan. I may not always agree with his opinion but he has the best reviews.

Chris

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Houston
    Hey guys thanks for the input but now I have a new problem!
    How tight should this retention screw be? I notice after opening and closing the knife a few times the screw gets loose, loose enough to tighten with my finger nail...this is kind of disheartening because I thought the knife was getting smoother but in reality the screw was just getting looser...so I am unsure how much to tighten the screw...currently I have it to where its just tight enough so the screw wont move without a screwdriver but like this the blade is almost undeployable. You just cant "flick" it open unless you really flick the hell out of it. So right now I push instead of flick the thumb disk, then flick and the blade goes halfway, then flick again until it locks in place...but any looser the retention screw then the blade will wiggle inside the frame...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Hey guys thanks for the input but now I have a new problem!
    How tight should this retention screw be? I notice after opening and closing the knife a few times the screw gets loose, loose enough to tighten with my finger nail...this is kind of disheartening because I thought the knife was getting smoother but in reality the screw was just getting looser...so I am unsure how much to tighten the screw...currently I have it to where its just tight enough so the screw wont move without a screwdriver but like this the blade is almost undeployable. You just cant "flick" it open unless you really flick the hell out of it. So right now I push instead of flick the thumb disk, then flick and the blade goes halfway, then flick again until it locks in place...but any looser the retention screw then the blade will wiggle inside the frame...

You oil it on the threads? It should be snug not tight. Only time I've had issue is when I got oil on the threads.

Chris

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks guys, some updates..I took my knife to the gunstore and had my friend look at it. They set the pivot screw just right and put some tightlock on it to keep it in place. I am also told that the liner lock will break in due time. So everything good. The blade does wiggle a little between the liners but the Emerson they had at the knife store wiggled also, so if you push hard enough it will scrape the liner. Compared it to a Benchmade too and it wiggled also so I am relived.

Funny story. I came back home and noticed there are 2 slashes on my pants, must have been from practicing deploying the knife with the "wave"...ha ha..well their 5.11 tactical shorts so I will sew them and they will just be scars. Knife also seems to be breaking in more now or I have gotten use to it, or I have gotten the technique down more. Guy at the gun shop showed me how to flick and open the knife a few different ways...

Also while practicing on my dinner table I accidentally dropped the knife and it poked right into my marble table, fell right ontop of the tanto point. I dont visibly see the point broken or dulled so yay for that!

Overall I am very happy w/ the Emerson. Just its too bad with use the black coating will wear down....it is already showing some faded spots from fingerprints dont know if they will clean off. Sprayed some Balistol and wiped the knife down but there are still some marred areas on the black coating. Oh well!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The pocket clip won't wear on 5.11 pants if they're like the pair I have. Mine are reinforced in the pocket where the clip rides. It'll barely wear fast on a pair of jeans..

That Wave feature, on the other hand...

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Old thread, but nice knife! =D How do you like it after some months of use?

I would love an excuse to buy one, but my BM710 works too well. Unless, I could figure out a good use for the chisel grind...and no, sticking it in-between someone's ribs doesn't count, at least for me =)

Top Bottom