• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Hoping to get some dove for the first time this Sunday and was looking for any tried and true recipes for dove if anyone has some they want to share. Thanks!
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Dove fajitas.
    Make them with chicken fajita seasoning.
    Better than chicken fajitas.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Soak them in cheap Italian dressing over night to get some of the gamey taste out of them. After the hunt, I have a method I use to remove the breast meat right off the bird that nets both lobes, including the slim inner section, and no bone. It's hard to explain, so after our next shoot I'll have someone videotape it.

There are other recipes besides the jalapeno poppers, but I don't bother. It's the way to go.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Soak them in cheap Italian dressing over night to get some of the gamey taste out of them. After the hunt, I have a method I use to remove the breast meat right off the bird that nets both lobes, including the slim inner section, and no bone. It's hard to explain, so after our next shoot I'll have someone videotape it.

There are other recipes besides the jalapeno poppers, but I don't bother. It's the way to go.

bump......^^^^^for this

Jlrockboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Midland
    I soak my dove breasts in butter milk, first fire some bacon in an iron skillet, then fry the buttermilk soaked breasts in the bacon grease. Good.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The sooner dove breast (actually any game) is cleaned and cooled the better it tastes. That not withstanding, dove breasts tend to be somewhat gamey because that is their most used muscles. Marinate with acid and oil. That is lemon or lime or such for your acid, and just about any oil (I like olive oil) with the spices you like. S&P for sure and what ever else you like. Me, I'm not a fan of garlic SALT or onion SALT. I think they are too harsh a flavor. If you want those flavors, add some minced fresh garlic and minced onion or better yet shallots. Let is soak for at least 2 hours or even over night. Grill on low for as long as it takes to cook them. Top with whatever you like, such as hot sauce, or some sort of creamy sauce.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Soak them in a brown sugar brine for a few hours. Maybe add a little black pepper and throw on the grill. The brine will make them juicy and caramelize nicely. Careful not to overcook... You want the internal temp to be about 145° which should have just the faintest hint of pink. If you're worried they will be too dry, brush on just a little bit of melted butter.

I think people tend to over season them because they are a little difficult to keep from drying out or they don't like the mild gamey flavor they have. If you don't like the gamey flavor just cook some chicken instead and give the doves to your dog ;)

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just clean the breasts. There's nothing to save on the rest of the bird. The meat is two colors: light and dark. We ate them fried or cooked in a gravy. It's pretty good but hardly a robust meal.

Flash

Top Bottom