• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with a 5 spd trans. Haven't been driving it because of a bad ankle (can't push the clutch in) the battery went dead about a week ago so I jumped it off and let it run for about 45 minutes.

Now it has a weak start and it won't stay running, it starts then immediately dies no rough idle it just dies. It will stay started if I keep my foot on the gas and it's not throwing any lights on the dash. The battery that's in it is 4+ years old and the terminals are a little corroded.

Anybody got any ideas?

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I'm no great wrench but have you checked the alternator? Should be putting out north of 12 volts (more like 14) IIRC. But even if it was weak, I would still think the plugs would fire and keep the motor running, the battery just would not charge well (which would explain why the battery died. ) Now if the alternator was totally crapped out, or has a bad connection maybe a small charge left in the battery would run the motor for a minute till it was gone, and then the motor stops. Just a guess. I'm sure there's a better wrench in here that will chime in.

leftyonly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Tomball
    IMO...Dead battery....Alternator at idle can't source enough current to run the engine and push current into the dead battery. Corroded terminals are a sign of a leaky battery and do not help the situation...Buy a new battery and clean/replace the corroded terminals.

I'd bet money you problem will be solved.....

You could try cleaning the terminals and giving the battery a good overnight charge, but you'll likely be only prolonging the inevitable....

Try to figure out what brand or store the battery was purchased from. You can likely get a new one or a hefty discount on a new one since most batteries have few years of free replacement warranty and several more years of pro-rated warranty...even without a reciept...

Richard

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Alternator seems to be working but the when I keep it above idle the volt gauge reads 14 but it doesn't seem to charge the battery because when it the engine dies the volt gauge starts to go down almost immediately

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I have an 04 stratus RT, and anytime You replace, or remove the battery, You have to reset the idle memory. All You need to is, while in neutral, hold your foot steady to the desired rpm for 30 seconds, and slowly let off. It should remain at that rpm as You let off. Good luck.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Gas or diesel?

If diesel, you should always replace BOTH batteries at the same time.

If diesel, check the fuel/water separator.

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Fresh fuel?

Last time fuel injectors were cleaned?

No other ideas for now.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with a 5 spd trans. Haven't been driving it because of a bad ankle (can't push the clutch in) the battery went dead about a week ago so I jumped it off and let it run for about 45 minutes.

Now it has a weak start and it won't stay running, it starts then immediately dies no rough idle it just dies. It will stay started if I keep my foot on the gas and it's not throwing any lights on the dash. The battery that's in it is 4+ years old and the terminals are a little corroded.

Anybody got any ideas?

It's no big deal, you just need to get the idle to re-learn. The computer lost the adaptation for idle speed. First, make sure the throttle body is clean around the plate - you'll have to hold the plate open to do this. Use a rag and some carb or throttle body cleaner and wipe that crud out around the throttle. This can partially flood the engine because of the fumes, so it'll be hard to restart. The less cleaner you use, the less likely that is to happen, though. Just use a tiny bit on the rag. Disconnect the battery while this is going on and let it lose the new adaptation it got, since it's wrong. Once everything's done, hook up the battery and start. Don't touch the throttle. If I'm remembering my Dodges right, the first try will fail - it'll catch and stall almost immediately. Just start it right back up, again not touching the throttle. This time it should start and idle. Just let it sit for a few minutes, then do stop and go driving until it warms up.

That should do the trick.

If the battery is really weak, it can cause the computer to lose adaptation every time you start, since voltage can actually drop too low for the memory in the ECU. So if it's got a weak battery, do that first. Then do the idle relearn.

Just so you know, being discharged for a long period of time (a week or more) will seriously damage an automotive battery, and it won't be able to hold a charge anymore.

(I fix cars for a living.)

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    If diesel you should change the fuel filter every oil change unless your me and put in a aftermarket lift pump/fuel water separator. Wix is best for everything if your stock that is.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    PS, for a lead acid battery in Texas, if I'm having starting trouble and see the battery is over 4 years, I don't even bother testing it. It gets junked. 4 years is about all you're going to get out of a battery here.

Top Bottom