• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    Hey guys!

As of late I've been thinking more and more about doing my own reloads due to the ammo shortage and figured I'd find out here if the time is right seeing how getting the necessary stuff to reload might be a bit tricky.
    Found out that my gun range i go to gives away the brass they pick up for free so i could collect tons of brass for nothing, would just have to sort and clean.

Was looking at the Lee LoadMaster for 9mm progressive press as it comes with almost everything you need to start!

Thoughts?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    It's always a good time to get into reloading but you will need to wait awhile for supplies. I personally would stay away from Lee progressive presses. I use Lee almost exclusively but have a Classic turret and don't do very much reloading but have the supplies. If you want to go progressive Dillon is king. Buy reloading books now to learn the subject and go from there. Save all that brass. No rush though as it will take time for supplies to return. Then stock up for next tidal wave of shortages.

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    I figured Dillon was gonna be brought up, money versus amount of ammo that's gonna get loaded i can't justify the price as I'm not planning on pressing thousands of rounds a day lol even though it's a really nice press but i could only see it being worth if you're loading lots and lots of ammo. which I don't think i will maybe just enough for range weekends.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Truthfully it's not a great time but might as well. My recommendation would be to get a manual or two (I like Lyman, Hornady and Speer) and start learning.

Figure out what load you want to start with and get components and get dies. If you can get those, tool up with the rest of your equipment.

Finding primers, especially small pistol, is a chore right now.

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    Yea that's what i figured, currently I get 9mm for 25 cents a round (dont pay for taxes or shipping) which is not bad compared to other prices on ammoseek. Not sure if I'd start reloading if i couldn't beat that price seeing how prices for needed parts are high right now due to the shortage.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I figured Dillon was gonna be brought up, money versus amount of ammo that's gonna get loaded i can't justify the price as I'm not planning on pressing thousands of rounds a day lol even though it's a really nice press but i could only see it being worth if you're loading lots and lots of ammo. which I don't think i will maybe just enough for range weekends.

You can buy a 650/750 for about 50% more than a loadmaster. Used, a 650 can be had much cheaper. IMHO, you will have WAY more than twice the frustration working with any progressive press that's not a dillon (at least, for progressive presses that cost less than several thousand bucks...).

I would encourage you to explore the physical differences in dillons and lees until you are bored to tears... I believe that anyone who loads more than a few/several 100 rounds a year is much better served by getting a dillon to begin with- even if it means your start is delayed a bit while you gather additional funds.

As others have said, start buying components: Primers, projectiles, powder. Primers, the small pistol kind, are currently going for MORE than $0.10 each on gunbroker.

That's going to take you a while, unless you really luck out. During that time, start watching auctions and classifieds. I'd bet you a shiny new nickel during that time you will find a deal on an entire reloading setup for a good price.

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    I don't read about any bad issues that come from Lee presses even videos on youtube about the lee progressive presses it looks like a solid press. Don't know of anyone that owns a press in my close circle so never got a chance to see the difference.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Getting into reloading? That's a loaded question! Pun intended!

A lot depends on why and what you want to reload. I think many have thought and jumped at the same reasons, of lack of certain types of ammo being available. Well, many of the components needed fro that ammo is getting harder to find as well, and even some of the reloading equipment needed is in short supply as well. I have been looking myself at adding 223 and 9mm dies to reload for those myself. Personally, I am going to eventually add those to my collection of reloading dies, but I am going to hold off until things stabilize a bit for now.

As suggested, buy several reloading books and start reading up on the subject. One book I highly recommend and have is, "The ABC's of Reloading" and it's an excellent book for beginners or veterans to reloading. It will start from the beginning and answer many of your questions you may have about reloading.

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    I'll take a look at that book! If I'd decided to reload it'll only be for what i need so 9MM and 5.56 Nato, don't want to have too many calibers as I'm not really a gun collector rather shoot what i own type person.

MaxFactor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2020
    Fort Worth
    mainly the bullets and primers are the issue, brass is findable but not easy either. Powder seems to be never a issue for loading lol
    But you're right pointless to look into presses if you can't get the materials needed.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    It is always a good time to start reloading. I would suggest starting with a single stage or turret press to begin with. There are several operations occurring at one time on a progressive press. Without experience, it can be tough to keep track of all of them. After you follow the learning curve and move to a progressive press, a single stage press is always a great tool to have on your bench in addition to a progressive.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I really really wanted a Dillon progressive to start off with. Kinda glad I didn’t spend the money. I got a Lee Classic Turret press and for how much I shoot, it is perfect for me. I can go to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds of 9mm, and then come home and reload a couple hundred more for my next trip in an hour or so. I always keep a bag of brass that is clean so I’m ready to go. And if you get extra turrets ($10 or so) caliber changes are simple. Only problem I see right now is getting the primers and bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REM1875

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2019
    Clay County TX
    I'm a big Lee fan but I got to go with the rest ........ My Llee progressives drove me nutz .......... try a dillion....... But first I would try a basic press which even with a dillion you will one for small quick jobs ...........and to find out if ya like reloading ...... it wont be wasted money..........

Last edited:

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I buy and sell a fair amount of used reloading equipment. I set up and test almost all that I flip, so I've used a pretty good number of different presses. The thing to remember is they are ALL different, and all have a different feel to them. What one person absolutely hates, there are other people who love that model, and wouldn't load on anything else. Brand is really not that much of an issue. I don't think there is a single press on the market today that doesn't work well, when used as the manufacturer suggests/instructs.

Top Bottom