Target Sports

Gonna go to Red's range for the first time...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NitroHonda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Pflugerville, TX
    Very new to the world of firearms and especially ranges. I mean... I've shot skeet but that's always been the extent of my gun experiences. Work got rained out today so I'm going to go try out Red's Indoor range down the street from my house. Here's what I need to know...

1) Is carrying in the weapon in a backpack okay or do I have to buy a gun case? Their FAQ shows that we must have a gun case.

2) How young is too young to bring your kid? I was thinking about bringing my 11 yr old but this is a 9mm handgun so... what's the etiquette here? Their rules state YES can bring children. I didn't see any age limits or requirements. Is there a legal requirement?
    ARJ Defense ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A backpack is fine. Also, 11yr old is fine. They're just going to require that you stay with and supervise your kid at all times.

I would highly recommend wearing ear plugs and ear muffs there, as it's a concrete building and fairly loud if there are a few rifle shooters there.

I used to work the south location. Some typical things they usually look for is that you only case and uncase your gun up on the bench and facing downrange. If it's not in the bag pointing downrange, you can easily just turn the bag around until it is, problem solved. If they call a cease fire, pull your mag, lock the slide to the rear, check the chamber to ensure clear, then set everything on the bench (locked open) and step back from the firing line. Other than that, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. They're usually more than happy to answer any questions or help out.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Yeah. What Sig said. The staff are always willing to help. And yeah it can get loud.

During the day on a weekday is the best time to go. It can get crowded in a hurry.

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Yea, what Sig & Shuutr said... btwn 0900 & 1500 M-F. You've probably already been to Reds. If not, take a look at the new & used guns for sale. Plus, at the North location is a good selection of Blade-Tech IWB & OWB Kydex Holsters.

NitroHonda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Pflugerville, TX
    Okay... we're definitely going tonight at 7pm. I probably won't let him shoot tonight as I'd like to get more comfortable with it first but yes it is time for him to come join me and learn a thing or two. Sounds like and based on what I see as I drive by it daily... it WILL be packed by then. That's okay. We can observe for a little bit... get comfortable with the feel of the environment. Most of all... relax. I'm definitely nervous but that's just "opening night" jitters if you know what I mean.

Okay... here goes...

Eyes on the marshall.
    Gun pointed downrange AT ALL TIMES.
    Breathe.
    Finger off the trigger.
    Pull when ready.
    Eyes back on the marshall.
    Remove magazine and clear chamber.
    Eyes back on the marshall.

I know I'm missing a lot so help me fill in the blanks.

One last question... can I fire quick or do I need to wait? I guess I'm just asking if I can fire off a few rounds in quick succession from each other or if I have to wait in between shots. Like bangbangbang verses bang.... bang... bang.

I thought that I saw that ear muffs and glasses would be provided by the range? Do I need to buy my own before going tonight?

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Eyes on the Marshall (aka RSO)? He/She is in background behind the shooters. Once standing at assigned lane your eyes should be pointed forward, not behind you. No rapid fire. Sig could better qualify that statement. LOL, usually I get no grief shooting bang.bang.bang. Pull trigger, next back off on the trigger just enough for the reset, then pull trigger, & repeat. Eyepro & ear muffs are provided. However, if this becomes a frequent event for you, then maybe get your own. BTW, Reds sells only one 50ct box of ammo to those using the range.

Last edited:

NitroHonda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Pflugerville, TX
    Eyes on the Marshall (aka RSO)? He/She is in background behind the shooters. Once standing at assigned lane your eyes should be pointed forward, not behind you. No rapid fire. Sig could better qualify that statement. LOL, usually I get no grief shooting bang.bang.bang. Pull trigger, next back off on the trigger just enough for the reset, then pull trigger, & repeat. Eyepro & ear muffs are provided. However, if this becomes a frequent event for you, then maybe get your own. BTW, Reds sells only one 50ct box of ammo to those using the range.

Ah... my son and I are Deaf which is why I would be looking for the RSO. I was using "eyes on the RSO" in place of you guys listening for the RSO. Looking is how we listen. I will talk with them and figure out the best placement considering that. Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

Last edited:

Soldiernurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Cedar Park, TX
    Ah... my son and I are Deaf which is why I would be looking for the RSO. I was using "eyes on the RSO" in place of you guys listening for the RSO. Looking is how we listen. I will talk with them and figure out the best placement considering that. Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?
    Just like you mentioned, inform them you are deaf to alleviate any possible confusion if cease fired is called.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Definitely explain to them that you And your son are both deaf. That way they can use the light switch or something like I've seen them do at other ranges. As was mentioned before, keep your eyes focused on the target area. Not saying you can't, or shouldn't look around occasionally but, when that weapon is in your hands, eyes front and on target. And since your son is coming with you, you, him, and the RO can figure out something of a signal between ya'll to work as a cease fire or "warning light" so to speak.

Just remember to squeeze the trigger rearward in a gentile yet solid fluid motion so as not to jerk the weapon when firing. Relax and have fun. It'll be a blast. No pun intended

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not to pick nits......but it's a magazine.

Congrats of the fun and safe trip to the range.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Glad ya'll had a good time. When ya goin' back? :_)

And while it is a magazine, I still occasionally call it a clip as well, but only with folks that know me.

Now to the big questions, how did it feel? How well did you both do? What's next on the list to start the collection? You do know that guns are like "Ruffles" chips, ya' can't only have one.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pm/mail me if I can help.

Byrd

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Glad you had a great time!

Also, thanks for the reminder. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn ASL so I can be a bit more versatile. Unfortunately there are too many things to learn and I am forgetful. ;) Maybe I will remember for a bit longer this time.

One thing I always like to tell people is, when in doubt, if you are ever unsure, feel unsafe, etc. just remember to keep the gun pointed downrange and keep your trigger finger outside of the trigger guard, along the frame or slide (what we call trigger finger index). Because of the mechanical design of modern firearms, and many of the built in internal safeties, it is a physical impossibility for the gun to ever go off UNLESS the trigger is pulled. Knowing that, when in doubt, keep the gun pointed downrange, go back to trigger finger index, and rest easy knowing that nothing is going to happen until you decide to make it happen! :-) That's always a tough one for a lot of people to get over, as it's like learning cars/engines, or any other mechanical device. At first it is so foreign, you don't know what is going on with it and it seems so confusing. Ultimately, if you drive a car or use a computer, a gun is a simple machine in comparison, and you can easily learn to handle it no problem. :-)

Top Bottom