• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I have a question for past or present members of GOA, and especially people who are or have been members of both the NRA and GOA. I'd like to know your opinions and insight into the GOA, is it really worth it to join, and does it have advantages over the NRA? I used to be a NRA member, but I became disillusioned with their politics and lack of qualitative benefits by being a member. Any insight you all can provide I'd love to hear. Thanks!
    Hurley's Gold

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I recently joined the GOA. I am quite sure that they don't have the clout the NRA does, but I believe them to be truer to gun owners (the NRA is more political and I liken some of what they have done in the past to the moves of Ruger and Smith and Wesson.

The GOA doesn't compromise. My political hero's (AKA Ron Paul's) quote "The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington."

This is not to knock the NRA. I am also a member of the NRA and I am a strong believer in them. I personally believe that if you can afford it, support both. If I could only choose one, it would be one of those "my head or my heart" things. My heart says, go with the ones most loyal to the true cause. My head says, go with the ones that have more power and influence and have done more for gun owners than any other organization in the world.

My $.02.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    I take an all of the above approach. GOA is certainly more true to principal but NRA has more clout. Both do a ton of good for us.
    Don't forget SAF/CCRKBA either.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've got NRA, GOA, and TSRA. While none may be perfect, I believe they all help in general; certainly better than if they weren't there at all.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    NRA for Washington. TSRA for Austin. Support additional groups if you can afford to, but NRA and TSRA are the two groups with the best existing infrastructure, name recognition, and legitimacy born of longevity.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    I recently joined the GOA. I am quite sure that they don't have the clout the NRA does, but I believe them to be truer to gun owners (the NRA is more political and I liken some of what they have done in the past to the moves of Ruger and Smith and Wesson.

The GOA doesn't compromise. My political hero's (AKA Ron Paul's) quote "The only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington."

This is not to knock the NRA. I am also a member of the NRA and I am a strong believer in them. I personally believe that if you can afford it, support both. If I could only choose one, it would be one of those "my head or my heart" things. My heart says, go with the ones most loyal to the true cause. My head says, go with the ones that have more power and influence and have done more for gun owners than any other organization in the world.

My $.02.

Agreed. The GOA seems a lot better in my opinion. It's a shame the candidate that got the best review by them probably won't make it much longer.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    NRA for Washington. TSRA for Austin. Support additional groups if you can afford to, but NRA and TSRA are the two groups with the best existing infrastructure, name recognition, and legitimacy born of longevity.

Pretty much this. I'd add Second Amendment Foundation to that list, since they go after the litigation side of things.

Coming from a activist point of view, the NRA and SAF are two of the most effective groups in the US. GOA talks a good game and has some recognition, but the no-compromise tactic is a bad way to actually get stuff done. No, I don't want to compromise, and I eventually won't have to anymore. But we didn't get to this point overnight, we got here incrementally. And we'll have to win our freedoms back incrementally, too.

NRA does extremely good things on the lobbying side (we need lobbyists!), both state and federal. SAF kicks ass in the courts.

Remember that NRA is a member-driven organization. You as a member have a vote on who is on the board, and that controls the direction they take as an organization.

The only other group I might suggest sending money to is the CGF, but they're more CA-specific, though some of their lawsuits can/do have a nation-wide affect. Case law is case law, and supporting any good civil rights lawsuits is always a good thing for everybody.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I've got NRA, GOA, and TSRA. While none may be perfect, I believe they all help in general; certainly better than if they weren't there at all.

For me;

NRA life member since 1967

GOA Life member

TSRA Benefactor

And I pitch in some extra $$$ from time to time.

Top Bottom