Go-to 308 load? Penetration equivalent to the M855 Green Tip?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    The cream of the crop for AR15s has been IMI M855 Green Tip ammunition, the standard military load. What is the equivalent in penetration for AR10s in 308?

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I shoot paper so 175gr sierra matchkings in the federal gold medal match.

Had good results with 178gr hornady superformance too.

Even in normal times the stuff was about $1.50 - $2.00 per cartridge. Probably costs all your kidneys now.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Green tips (M855) is "cream of the crop"? No. But that's a much longer discussion that this thread can handle.

Full disclosure: I no longer have a .308, so I don't have a current fav load. My neighbor has done well with 150 gr. bullets with Varget in an AR that will hit plates at 500 yards like they were at 50.

There is no perfect load for any cartridge. It's the load that best fits your gun. My old .308 hated light bullets and was much more accurate shooting 180 bullets with IMR 4064. In factory loads, the 180 Winchester Silvertips were the most accurate.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    I'm seeing Winchester 147gr for $1.40 a round, Sellier & Bellot 1970s Military Surplus (Corrosive Brass) for $0.70 a round, and Tulammo Steel Case for $0.70. Anyone shooting steel case through their AR10? I'm not looking for match bullets so much as I am cheap range ammo for function checks.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm seeing Winchester 147gr for $1.40 a round, Sellier & Bellot 1970s Military Surplus (Corrosive Brass) for $0.70 a round, and Tulammo Steel Case for $0.70. Anyone shooting steel case through their AR10? I'm not looking for match bullets so much as I am cheap range ammo for function checks.

To my knowledge, only AP handgun ammunition is illegal, and the famed "green tip" M855 5.56 ammunition has a bullet with a certain composition that makes it penetrate steel with ease. What is your go-to SHTF 308 cartridge that would melt an APC or MRAP's steel like butter?

Penetrator rounds are designed for the purpose of just that - penetrating. I'm sure the military is well versed in ground to vehicle engagements, are there any teachers of these engagement tactics online, like Massad Ayoob? If the penetrator round was designed to be fired at the driver of an armored vehicle, thus disabling a vehicle, it seems that must be an EXTREMELY well placed shot.
    Raufoss Mk 211 in .50 BMG.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Here toy go

220px-Carl_Gustav_M4_Kokonaisturvallisuus_2015.jpg

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

To my knowledge, only AP handgun ammunition is illegal, and the famed "green tip" M855 5.56 ammunition has a bullet with a certain composition that makes it penetrate steel with ease. What is your go-to SHTF 308 cartridge that would melt an APC or MRAP's steel like butter?

Penetrator rounds are designed for the purpose of just that - penetrating. I'm sure the military is well versed in ground to vehicle engagements, are there any teachers of these engagement tactics online, like Massad Ayoob? If the penetrator round was designed to be fired at the driver of an armored vehicle, thus disabling a vehicle, it seems that must be an EXTREMELY well placed shot.
    9873cPi.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

I thought you reloaded? You claimed to reload "thousands" of rounds. What exactly do you reload? I think you lied.

Are you 12? M855 doesn't zip through hard armor. Even the most brief glance at its numbers will show that. Unless you can afford (find) a 7.62x51 SLAP round, it doesn't carry enough energy to get through much either.

No one in the know is going to tell someone lost in fantasy land how to engage armored vehicles.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Top Bottom