• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    both dodge and ford have abandoned the small diesel in their half ton trucks. Only gm remains with a small diesel as an option.
    I never knew Ford had a half ton diesel option.

I knew Ram had mixed reviews on their Eco Diesel
    Not sure who made that

The GM 3.0 Duramax is reporting good fuel economy but there are expensive potential maintenance and repair items on those also

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    A half ton trucks sticker price runs from $40-70,000 or more

The damn engines and transmissions won't last 100k miles before needing magor repairs and thats not worth it anymore.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I never knew Ford had a half ton diesel option.

I knew Ram had mixed reviews on their Eco Diesel
    Not sure who made that

The GM 3.0 Duramax is reporting good fuel economy but there are expensive potential maintenance and repair items on those also
    It’s because gm produced the 3.0 while the 2.8 was produced by Isuzu and having owned one I can say it gave me almost 90k trouble free miles before trading it. Would still be going fine I’m sure.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    FUEL QUALITY IS CRITICAN THE DURAMAX ENGINES
    Yes sir I bet it is!
    With the 60,000 psi injection rails on some of these modern trucks I can only imagine

Any water in the system can damage an injector and with the gov taking out almost all of the sulfur the water now has more chance of collecting in a tank from condensation

Last edited:

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I had a 15 Ram with the 3.0 ecodiesel. I think it was made by VM? They got caught up.in the Volkswagen diesel scandal ecause Bosch did the programming for both motors. After the epa mandated Approved Emissions Modification flash the truck had less power and fuel mileage dropped despite Rams and the epas insistence the AEM would not effect that. After the 2nd or 3rd recall without a solution or parts I ended up trading it it. Prior to the AEM I felt it was a decent motor. I sometimes kick myself because I liked that 15 Ram Longhorn better than the 19 Ram Limited I traded it for.

I'm guessing the gm AFM system is the same as the Hemis MDS cylinder deactivation system. I haven't had any issues with that or the 5.7 Hemis. I'm on my fourth one since 08(trade them in, not blow them up)

Now if we can get rid of the damn stop/start garbage. I managed to stall out an automatic last week because of that garbage.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    GM 6.2 vortec does have DFM
    If it's a gas engine from GM odds are it has AFM/DFM

I bought a 2500 Ram Cummins

To my knowledge, No 3/4 ton or 1 ton gasoline V8 in any brand has any type of fuel / valve train management on them.
    HD pickups aren't under the same EPA MPG rules as the 1/2 ton truck segment is.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    To my knowledge, No 3/4 ton or 1 ton gasoline V8 in any brand has any type of fuel / valve train management on them.
    HD pickups aren't under the same EPA MPG rules as the 1/2 ton truck segment is.

Lots of information out there saying they do..starting in 2014 the 6.0 and 6.2 did have AFM

Guys on forum have been discussing this and finding out they have it in their trucks

Some guys are also saying the AFM parts are in the engines but in some models the AFM software isn't present to activate it

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yes sir I bet it is!
    With the 60,000 psi injection rails on some of these modern trucks I can only imagine

Any water in the system can damage an injector and with the gov taking out almost all of the sulfur the water now has more chance of collecting in a tank from condensation
    WATER CAN CAUSE OTS OF DAMAGE IN MODERN DISELENGINES!

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Lots of information out there saying they do..starting in 2014 the 6.0 and 6.2 did have AFM

Guys on forum have been discussing this and finding out they have it in their trucks

Some guys are also saying the AFM parts are in the engines but in some models the AFM software isn't present to activate it

I know Ford and Ram 2500 / 3500 gasoline engines don't. I also have a friend that is a GM mechanic at a local dealership, he has told me that Chevy / GMC 2500 / 3500 gasoline engines don't either.
    My 2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon with the 5.7 Hemi doesn't have it, neither does my friends 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi.
    GM lost my business when they started putting IFS on 4x4 trucks.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I know Ford and Ram 2500 / 3500 gasoline engines don't. I also have a friend that is a GM mechanic at a local dealership, he has told me that Chevy / GMC 2500 / 3500 gasoline engines don't either.
    My 2012 Ram 2500 Power Wagon with the 5.7 Hemi doesn't have it, neither does my friends 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi.
    I really hate acronyms. I had to googlel IFS. :roflfunny:
    BTW. GM lost me in the 70s & 80s

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas

Since the 80s? What's the problem?

tie-rods.png

All kidding aside, it's probably decent for a anything lighter than a 3/4 ton but I don't like it for heavy duty trucks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom