• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marspewpewtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2022
    Dallas, TX
    Hi all,
    To gift a handgun to a relative out of state, I need to ship it through an FFL in Texas and have it shipped to his FFL in California.
    (He can legally own the handgun and the magazines have 10 round limit.)

So, how is the process actually done?
    Do I just bring the firearm to the FFL in its case and pay their fee and they'll do the rest like box and ship on the shop?
    Or do I have to box it up and/or pre-pay the shipping fee first before bringing it to the FFL?

Thanks

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hi all,
    To gift a handgun to a relative out of state, I need to ship it through an FFL in Texas and have it shipped to his FFL in California.
    (He can legally own the handgun and the magazines have 10 round limit.)

So, how is the process actually done?
    Do I just bring the firearm to the FFL in its case and pay their fee and they'll do the rest like box and ship on the shop?
    Or do I have to box it up and/or pre-pay the shipping fee first before bringing it to the FFL?

Thanks
    I'd call the FFL you want to use and ask them.

I'm not familiar with Iowashooter's method. Worth checking into as well.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    This seems to be a good method. I'll look into this as an option.
    Shipmygun.com is a subsidiary of buds gun shop

Once shipmygun has a copy of the destination FFL’s license (their database is huge as you might expect, they have many, many already on file)… you simply order a mailing label from them. Cost varies based on weight and whether you wish to add insurance.

The mailing label arrives by email to you… then simply print it and affix to the box. You drop off the gun at your local UPS service center… and it is shipped UPS 2nd Day Air.

You can easily look to see if the destination FFL is already on the shipmygun list… just go to shipmygun.com website. If not… the FFL simply emails their license to support@shipmygun,com and shipmygun adds the FFL to the database (that takes a day or two). Then you can order the mailing label,

Hope this helps explain.

marspewpewtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2022
    Dallas, TX
    Shipmygun.com is a subsidiary of buds gun shop

Once shipmygun has a copy of the destination FFL’s license (their database is huge as you might expect, they have many, many already on file)… you simply order a mailing label from them. Cost varies based on weight and whether you wish to add insurance.

The mailing label arrives by email to you… then simply print it and affix to the box. You drop off the gun at your local UPS service center… and it is shipped UPS 2nd Day Air.

You can easily look to see if the destination FFL is already on the shipmygun list… just go to shipmygun.com website. If not… the FFL simply emails their license to support@shipmygun,com and shipmygun adds the FFL to the database (that takes a day or two). Then you can order the mailing label,

Hope this helps explain.
    Definitely helpful. This option seems to be the most convenient. Thanks, @Iowashooter

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Definitely helpful. This option seems to be the most convenient. Thanks, @Iowashooter
    Another important item:

- Some FFLs do not accept shipments from individuals… you’ll want to contact the destination FFL to ensure they will. If yes, then also include a copy of your drivers license in the box with the gun so the FFL knows who it is from and can record it in their book. Of course, as you know, including a paper that shows who the gun is for (transferee) is also important (including their name, address, phone, email).

marspewpewtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2022
    Dallas, TX
    Another important item:

- Some FFLs do not accept shipments from individuals… you’ll want to contact the destination FFL to ensure they will. If yes, then also include a copy of your drivers license in the box with the gun so the FFL knows who it is from and can record it in their book. Of course, as you know, including a paper that shows who the gun is for (transferee) is also important (including their name, address, phone, email).
    Good information. Thanks for everything.

Top Bottom