• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullgator

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Houston TX
    I never had a problem of getting a firearm from an individual and there have been many. The mere fact that ATF is involved on the other end usually insures a greater degree of honesty. The difficult part is if the seller keeps your money and his firearm. I got ripped off on my 4th transaction on GB by the seller. He gave me good feedback, cashed my MO and did not send the barrel that I purchased and was banned from GB and I was out $57 back in 2001. I guess that supports the saying that S*** Happens.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    There is no law requiring FFLs to check for stolen firearms they encounter in the course of their business.
    Unless I misunderstood you, you alledge that is it ILLEGAL for an FFL to check for stolen. Can you show me the law that makes it illegal for them to do so?
    Pardon my colloquialism.

An FFL can check all he likes for stolen guns. In most jurisdictions, they'll be told "Sorry, the database is for government use only.", and an officer routinely running such checks for the FFL would be violating the appropriate ordnance/regulation/law.

Using the database during an actual investigation - sure, that's what it's for.

Running the daily intake of Bubba's Guns Я Us isn't "part of an investigation".

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Pardon my colloquialism.

An FFL can check all he likes for stolen guns. In most jurisdictions, they'll be told "Sorry, the database is for government use only.", and an officer routinely running such checks for the FFL would be violating the appropriate ordnance/regulation/law.

Using the database during an actual investigation - sure, that's what it's for.

Running the daily intake of Bubba's Guns Я Us isn't "part of an investigation".

So, you mean it is not illegal for a FFL to check incoming guns for stolen? It would be nice if folks would stop making up laws and posting them here.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    So, you mean it is not illegal for a FFL to check incoming guns for stolen? It would be nice if folks would stop making up laws and posting them here.

They can check all they like. In most jurisdictions, they're not likely to get any results, and if they do, somebody will have broken the law in giving them the results.

It's the same as John Q. Public going up to the police department and wanting to know all about a license plate number, just to satisfy their curiosity.

wgsigs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    DFW
    Not that it addresses your concerns, but if you are paying for the shipping, it may be cheaper for the seller to pay his FFL to ship via USPS than for him to ship it himself via UPS or FedEx, who I believe both require the shipper to use very expensive overnight service for handguns.

I guess you can always "refuse" the shipment, but I have never understood the implications, like who pays to ship it back, how you get your money back, etc.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    They can check all they like. In most jurisdictions, they're not likely to get any results, and if they do, somebody will have broken the law in giving them the results.
    No, somebody will not have broken the law.

It's the same as John Q. Public going up to the police department and wanting to know all about a license plate number, just to satisfy their curiosity.

No, it is not.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    USPS MO is about the safest bet for both parties. Sometimes we overthink these things - I've had sellers offer to accept personal checks, simply because they "know" me from my board membership. Had one that shipped an expensive 45 before he even received my payment!

The first couple of times are scary (been there), but after a while you learn when to avoid offers that are scammy....

Top Bottom